Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dan garlick
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
I am torn between which big box version to grab Alhambra or Fresco. I am looking for something euro gamer like with nicer components that is a good family light/medium weight complexity that plays well for 2 to 4 and in less than two hours. Anyone have an options on either of these and especially if they have played both.

I was considering Kingsburg, Alien Frontiers or Kemet too but think the Alhumbra or Fresco fit better my 2-4 person light to light medium weight that is not too long and can be setup fairly fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the Alhambra big box, and have owned the Fresco base game. I personally prefer the former, obviously since it's still in my collection. I've only tried a few of the expansions as of yet, but in reading the rules on the others there seems to be more deviation from the base game in the Alhambra expansions than what I remember for the Fresco expansions, which still expand on the base game but keep game play fairly similar. I may be wrong.

My reasons for Alhambra are a bit sentimental, but primarily because I just enjoy the planning elements and tile laying strategy of Alhambra. I think the hidden action selection of Fresco is good, but I had some issues with it personally.

I think Fresco plays better at 2, but with the fan-variant of Alhambra on its BGG page I actually quite enjoy it at two as well. Both games will easily finish up in your time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Both a great games. Alhambra is lighter, IMO.

I'd be tempted to buy both without the expansions.

(I own both and haven't been tempted to pick up the expansions... even when the Alhambra ones were on sale locally at £2/$2.6)

I'm a big fan of Kingsburg but it does take more time to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both base games. I find Fresco to be a very interesting game. In it players are choosing their actions simultaneously in secret. Then everyone reveals what they want to do. It's neat because you can block out other players moves. The game is beautiful too.

Alhambra is just boring. Buy a tile, place a tile, buy a tile, place a tile. Who cares? (Just my opinion of course).

Kingsburg would be a good choice for a family friendly game too.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan garlick
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
So anyone else? Based on the above opinions and thanks all who responded so far I am leaning to the Big Box of Fresco. I would be playing with my significant other and three girls ages 11,11, and 14 or just me and the fiancee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shipard
Australia
Bendigo
Victoria
flag msg tools
I've played both, and my partner owns the Alhambra big box. Personally I'd suggest the Alhambra big box. The expansions are actually each 3-4 mini expansions making it very modular and with variable complexity/length depending on what you swap in. I think it would offer greater replay ability and also a better game for your daughters as it can become harder with different expansions as they grow. That said it still stays in the medium weight bracket without burning the brain cells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan garlick
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Ralph. Which is easier overall to play and understand the rules with expansions? Alhambra? Which would be thee better two player game in your humble opinion ?

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witt
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I have Alhambra: Big Box I used to enjoy more but my last couple of plays felt boring. My kids 10 and 7 both played it with no problems both would rather play other games. I have not tried Fresco with them yet but I prefer Fresco.

As for games my kids prefer
Tobago
Mr. Jack
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Ticket to Ride

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Fresco: Big Box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan garlick
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks all. I went with Big Box Fresco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.