GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,667 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gaining Spells more than once? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Carrington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Just a query as when I played the other night I figured I would take all of the cards for a particular spell to save time later searching the deck after each casting.

Has anyone experienced gaining the same spell more than once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has occurred in other Mythos titles, but I don't think it's happened in MoM 1st ed or 2nd ed, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

If and when that occurs, then the two players have to share the deck, and each person only holds one spell card of that spell at at time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just separate the spells into separate piles at the start of the game. I do the same for conditions (especially Insane). Provided you have the table space, this makes handling them much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Carrington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you, I think I recall in Eldritch you drew another random spell. Rather glad spell aquisition is not so random. At least removing the spell cards from the deck for easy access should not be an issue.

I guess the app tracks spells like other items in some way, so I am expecting it not to happen in shorter games. Perhaps in longer ones or if they put together a campaign with shorter scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, I think a single player could hold two cards of the same Spell at a time. There is no restriction against it in the 2nd Edition rules. Perhaps the app avoids giving out two of the same Spell, but I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Incidentally, I think a single player could hold two cards of the same Spell at a time. There is no restriction against it in the 2nd Edition rules. Perhaps the app avoids giving out two of the same Spell, but I doubt it.

I don't think that really matches the intent. The spell cards aren't a specific copy of the spell, they're just a tool to indicate what the effect of casting the spell you know is. So once you know the spell, you know it and always have a single card on hand to reflect the ability to cast it. You can't know it twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Mellotron wrote:
I don't think that really matches the intent. The spell cards aren't a specific copy of the spell, they're just a tool to indicate what the effect of casting the spell you know is. So once you know the spell, you know it and always have a single card on hand to reflect the ability to cast it. You can't know it twice.

Then how can you trade it to another player? Or drop it and have someone pick it up later? Spells aren't Items, but they are Possessions, so they must have a tangible form, such as a parchment. You could have two of those and choose which you want to use, and potentially hand off one copy while keeping the other for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Cantor
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:

Then how can you trade it to another player? Or drop it and have someone pick it up later? Spells aren't Items, but they are Possessions, so they must have a tangible form, such as a parchment. You could have two of those and choose which you want to use, and potentially hand off one copy while keeping the other for yourself.

Fair point, my mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten two copies of the same spell in a game, can't remember which scenario though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.