Glen Lamb
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had mixed feelings about the idea of the stand alone expansion since it was announced, my main worry was all about combining all the new stuff in to the base game and how the hell I was going to manage that with the Broken Token organizer I'd spent so much money on (import tax is killer)

The real appeal of The Long Night for me was more survivors, crisis, crossroads, items, MORE everything and in order for that to really be effective I would need them to be added to my game not treated separately. With that in mind I've set about making the ultimate "base game" in one box. So all the core game components needed to play without any expansion modules all in one box.

SPOILERS

I've managed it.

END SPOILERS

First up it's the Tokens.. This one's easy. You probably won't need the original Barricades, Helpless Survivors or Noise Tokens even if not using the new rules so baggy them up and pop them aside.

Put the new versions of those tokens in their place and then add the Zombie, Wound and Food/Starvation tokens to the pots. (There's room for them all so no need to archive anything, but it's up to you) I've added the despair to the wound pot.

The other thing I've done is put the Advancement and Improvements tokens in to the tray next to the dice tray.

Now for the Standees

Zombies
There are 3 different standee designs in each game and 10 of each, so 60 Zombie Standees in total. These don't all fit in the box, but you probably don't need 60 zombies for a game of DoW. I've kept 40 in the box and they all fit in the tray, 6 of each type plus 4 from your favourites will do. The others I've broken down and baggied up just in case.

Survivors

The Long Night survivors I've put in the dead space in front of the standee trays, they all have a red sticker on the bottom to show they are Long Night.

"Archive"

So on to the cards:

OK so almost all the cards from both sets fit in to the organiser with one caveat. You have to remove the wooden dividers and the cards will no longer have their own little labelled sections. My cards are sleeved with Mayday standard sleeves.

I have addressed the issue of having no wooden dividers by making some thinner index cards you can get them here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136499/card-dividers-setu...

I printed these on to some thin card and laminated them for stability as they are going to have all the new boards on top of them.

The other thing you need to do is sort out the location item decks, there's a few threads about this out there but I've put together a list of what's what and some suggestions of what to do here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/136408/combining-location...

Each location deck will become around 21-27 cards which will reduce the space you need, I put all the redundant cards (this includes the original starter items) in to an ultra pro deck box that fits in to the expansion box.

To aid in set up I've used coloured stickers on the location decks along with numbers of each colour to include in the deck printed on the divider, like so:

It's probably worth saying that I haven't divided out the expansion module Crossroads, Crisis, Survivors, etc from the decks. I felt like the effort to keep them separate isn't worth the slight inconvenience of having to just put a card aside if you happen to draw one from an expansion you aren't using, so everything is all just shuffled in together.

What's in the (Expansion) Box?

In here goes all the stuff you don't need for the base game, along with all the Bandit and Raxxon Experiment Standees, plus the Bandit and Raxxon location boards:

You can also see that I've kept the special scenario cards separate and in the expansion box just so they don't get accidentally dealt out during regular play.

The Standees are in "Really Useful" boxes which I do indeed find really useful:

Ok so all organised and filed away, I use the Broken Token box band on the base box just for a bit of stability as the lid doesn't quite go on all the way with those new location boards....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Spence
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! Thank you for the write-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Campbell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done!

Another thought is that I wonder whether I could "gain space" by either omitting the brilliant, but not totally needed, BT First player token and building an insert for that space, or better yet, keeping the BT first player token and removing the stock one, dividing the space next to the dice, and separating out the hammers, improvement chits, and 'scoring donuts.' Also, if the box for standees were extended just slightly, I suspect you could fit in all of the survivors from both games, and enough extra zombies to make the "zombies" chits redundant...so you could put other stuff there. The "dead space" behind the characters could then hold extra cards and bandits?

Won't work for everyone, but for those of us who don't care for Raxxon and can come up with "standard" search decks for the locations, maybe?

That said, if Greg were to offer either a TLN insert or a craftsman series to combine them, I'd go there in a heartbeat. The BT insert for this game is such a huge bonus to play, it's a no-brainer. Errm...no pun intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Spence
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest challenge with TLN is the thickness of all the boards now. If we consider that much of the box space to be occupied by boards, it actually makes LESS room for the cards if we want the lid to close. But since TLN comes with MORE cards than the base game, its a difficult one to solve. So one option is to make an insert where the box lid maybe stands up by 5mm and we include a box band. Or, like you mentioned, make a game crate to hold everything. We just aren't sure if that more-expensive solution will be widely accepted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Zee
United States
Plainsboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just FYI. Broken Token is releasing the Long Night Storage unit on Oct 20 for the game. They have it on their website. $29.99 for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Lamb
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've seen this, and my personal view is that it's mainly only useful for people that only intend to own The Long Night.

Keeping all the individual decks separate in 2 different boxes doesn't seen like a sensible idea, and will not really help set up and tear down.

I can't really imagine that anyone with original DoW and TLN wouldn't want to have all the TLN cards in their games.

I realise it looks like I'm saying "my way is better" but it does allow you to keep one DoW base game in a single Broken Token organiser, and If you do it this way, the other box just doesn't have enough stuff in to make it worth buying an organiser for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broken Token does usually create organizers for games plus their expansions, so maybe they'll eventually do this for Dead of Winter plus Long Night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Spence
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Broken Token does usually create organizers for games plus their expansions, so maybe they'll eventually do this for Dead of Winter plus Long Night.

There's also an expansion announced for Dead of Winter so perhaps one day it will make sense to make some solution that will hold everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Lamb
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Aye, when warring colonies comes out I'd probably be interested in what BrokeToke come up with for a box to store it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.