Which is your least favorite?

Why?

1. GIPF

2. TAMSK

3. ZÈRTZ

4. DVONN

5. YINSH

6. PÜNCT

Also, I read somewhere that all six of these games can be brought together somehow, to create a larger experience... do anyone know what exactly it is I'm talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What is your favorite game in the GIPF Project game seri
I've only played DVONN, YINSH, and PUNCT, and haven't tried GIPF, TAMSK, and ZERTZ yet. Personally I enjoy YINSH the most of the three I've tried, and PUNCT the least, but that may be because I've played YINSH the most and PUNCT the fewest number of times, and I think these games definitely get better with more plays.

asgelb wrote:
Also, I read somewhere that all six of these games can be brought together somehow, to create a larger experience... do anyone know what exactly it is I'm talking about?

I've also heard about this, but don't know too much about it. The BGG Wiki page on Project GIPF (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/project_GIPF) says: "There is a way to connect the different games through the use of potentials, these can be found in the other games or in GIPF Project Set 1, GIPF Project Set 2, and GIPF Project Set 3. Potentials are game pieces used during a normal GIPF game and have special powers but to activate the power you first have to win the corresponding game."

The three "project sets" or potentials can be found at these game links:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5202
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/5117
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/26003

There's also a bit more explanation of this at the Project GIPF website at: http://www.gipf.com/project_gipf/index.html

You may also want to check out the "Ultimate GIPF" session report by Francis K. Lalumiere (weishaupt)available at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/138874
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 YINSH
2 PÜNCT
3 TAMSK
4 ZÈRTZ
5 DVONN

Not played: GIPF
And ZÈRTZ is new to me, so it might go up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yinsh
2. Punct
3. Tamsk
4. Dvonn
5. Gipf
6. Zertz

Yinsh is a very elegant game.
Zertz is pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. YINSH
2. GIPF
3. ZÈRTZ
4. DVONN

I haven't played TAMSK or PÜNCT, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zertz
Dvonn
Tamsk
Yinsh
Gipf

Own but haven't yet played Punct.

Gipf and Yinsh have only had a couple of games. I've mostly played with my wife so my enjoyment factor is highly tied to hers. (I'll play most things, so the games that are the most enjoyable are the ones that she enjoys.) For us there's a tactile element. I suspect Yinsh might get a lift if I could get it out a few more times.

Tamsk is an oddball... I've only played it maybe three times and not at all with my wife, so it's hard to put in the same scale. The idea is intriguing, but I think it needed digital timers and microbuttons on each end. I have a dislike of the ambiguity of the "last moment" in sand timers, and Tamsk leans on that "last moment" heavily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacco Versteeg
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sofar I've only played YINSH, ZERTZ and DVONN, although I own the entire set. I think at the moment it's like this:

1. ZERTZ
2. DVONN
3. YINSH

But all of the games are bloody excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: What is your favorite game in the GIPF Project?
My favourite is DVONN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yinsh
2. Gipf
3. Dvonn

I have not played the others yet, though I anticipate Zertz being a top contender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Rébérez
Belgium
Merchtem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Dvonn
2. Yinsh
3. Pünct
4. Zertz

haven't played the other 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
All the games are great, but Dvonn is my favorite by a nose. I think it has a good blend of strategy and short-term look-ahead, a nice strategy learning curve, and lots of depth. It's also nice that the game has a forced conclusion.

Pünct might be my second choice, but only just barely. I like it for the same reasons I like Dvonn, except it does not have a forced ending in the way that Dvonn does.

My least favorite is Zertz. To me it has a little bit of a nasty feel to it, as you're essentially trying to look farther ahead than your opponent and trap him. It also seems to me that Zertz is the game that depends the most on experience and look-ahead, whereas in the other games one can apply a bit more strategy, intuition and creativity. However, I still think Zertz is a neat game and I'm happy to play it.

The way that the games are brought together is by use of the potentials in Gipf. Players can add the potentials to pieces to allow them the potential for one-use special moves. Each potential is named after one of the other five games in the series. The way it works is that the player who wants to use the potential announces his intention and the other player has the option of using one of his "challenges." If the opponent challenges, then the players put the game of Gipf on hold and then decide whether the move will be allowed by playing the game that corresponds to the potential type. If the challenging player wins, the other player loses the potential (but not the piece underneath) and must choose a different move.

For example, a Zertz potential can jump one player's piece over another player's piece. If a player announces that he intends to use the potential, the other player can challenge and they will play a game of Zertz to decide the matter. After the game of Zertz is done, they'll go back to the game of Gipf.

For reference I own and have played all the games. I've probably played Dvonn the most—not many times face-to-face but about seventy times online. Gipf, Pünct and Tamsk I've each played between ten to twelve times face-to-face and Gipf and Pünct about as many times online as well. I've played Zertz about eight times, plus a couple of online games. Yinsh is the game I've played the least—only three plays face-to-face, but also three or four games online. I haven't had a chance to play Gipf with the potentials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Dvonn
2 Gipf
3 Zertz
4 Tamsk

I have Yinsh, Punct, and the potentials sets but haven't played them yet. Great series!

edit: realized the OP asked about hooking them together - that is the "potentials" concept: http://www.gipf.com/project_gipf/potentials/introduction.htm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Faller
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zertz
Yinsh
Dvonn
Punkt
Gipf
Tamsk

And given that Tamsk is at the bottom there, it is still a game that I enjoy very much.

If you like your abstracts then any of these is going to float your boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
TAMSK
ZERTZ
DVONN
GIPF
PUNCT
YINSH

TAMSK, because the time really is a strategic element in the game, and it doesn't tolerate slow players!
ZERTZ, DVONN because I had a hand in the playtesting (I think I was responsible for the final shape of the board in DVONN); PUNCT and YINSH down near the bottom, because they were board after my eldest daughter came along, and I just haven't found the time to learn to play them well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLelland
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
Don't touch me!!!
badge
Hi! How are you?!?
mbmbmbmbmb
Zertz
Yinsh
Punct
Dvonn
Gipf

Haven't played Tamsk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yinsh - Own but only played a few times. Very elegant and fun.
Zertz - First one I played and owned. Still really like it.
Tamsk - Don't own, but played a few times. Very different, but clever.
Dvonn - Only played once, in the process of trading for now.
Punct - Played once, didn't care for it. Probably needs another play.

Haven't played Gipf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M G
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play PUNCT, but so far:

1. DVONN
2. YINSH
3. TAMSK
4. GIPF
5. ZERTZ

Why? No particular reason, other than being ranked according to the enjoyment factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Gipf, most depth
2 Yinsh, most accessable
3 Dvonn, don't exactly know why
4 Punct
5 Tamsk
6 Zertz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. YINSH
2. DVONN
3. ZERTZ
4. GIPF
5. PUNCT
6. TAMSK

Yinsh is quite chaotic (comparatively) making counting too far ahead not worth it (well suited for less intense gamers), but yet still a good test of players' skill. Zertz and Dvonn I found the driest (Zertz in particular is an exercises in counting moves ahead). Gipf feels a bit unfinished. Punct was too similar to twixt for me. I rave about all of them except for TAMSK (which I don't care for because of the real time component)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bekking
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I would not refuse any gipf project game invite, but here's my order of preference.

Dvonn
Punct
Yinsh
Gipf
Tamsk
Zertz

Each game offers a unique gaming experience.
I like Dvonn for some of the reasons already stated. It's a relatively quick game, yet offers
quite a bit of strategic elements. I like that the placement phase, which seems random,
can win (or lose) you the game.

I am a fan of connection games, and Punct has some elements not found in most. I like that
you can change the connection sides mid game. This allows (and may require with two experienced players)
a bluffing element to the game.

I find it difficult to see very many moves ahead in Yinsh and thus it's difficult to strategize.
But an elegant game nonetheless.

I would have to play Gipf a lot more to know the depth of this game. But I enjoyed every game I've played. It would be fun to play this game with some or all of the potentials, but I've have to learn the game better first.

Tamsk to me is the most fun of all the games, maybe because I find it to be the lest mentally taxing.
I find Tamsk to be as much of an area control game as time management.

The only knock I have against Zertz is that I don't like being forced into specific moves. But I like it
more and more each time I've played. The shrinking board is so unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Results of expressed preferences so far:

Y def D, 10 to 8
Y def P, 9 to 2
Y def G, 9 to 4
Y def T, 9 to 2
Y def Z, 11 to 6

Yinsh is the overall preferred.

D def P, 8 to 4
D def G, 10 to 4
D def T, 9 to 4
D def Z, 9 to 8

Dvonn is second.

P def Z, 6 to 4
P def T, 6 to 2
G def Z, 8 to 5
G def T, 7 to 5
G ties P, 4 to 4

Gipf and Punct are next, together.

T def Z, 7 to 6

Tamsk is fifth, Zertz (my favourite ) is last

5 have not played Gipf
1 has not played Yinsh
All have tried Dvonn
2 have note played Zertz
6 have not played Tamsk
7 have not played Punct

Of the "not played", 4 sets of Punct are declared sitting in cupboards, and one each of Gipf and Tamsk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking all BGG raters from a coupla weeks ago:

Y def D, 273 to 148
Y def P, 181 to 30
Y def G, 225 to 66
Y def T, 221 to 32
Y def Z, 261 to 132

Yinsh is the most preferred of the series

D def P, 152 to 66
D def G, 211 to 105
D def T, 203 to 52
D def Z, 231 to 188

Dvonn is second.

Z def G, 199 to 121
Z def P, 139 to 64
Z def T, 201 to 68

Zertz is third

G def P, 96 to 64
G def T, 151 to 75

Gipf is fourth

P def T, 96 to 51

Punct fifth, last is Tamsk.

So:
YINSH rank 23, BAvg 7.7, Avg 7.9
DVONN rank 47, BAvg 7.5, Avg 7.7
ZÈRTZ rank 75, BAvg 7.3, Avg 7.6
GIPF rank 143, BAvg 7.1, Avg 7.4
PÜNCT rank 226, BAvg 6.9, Avg 7.3
TAMSK rank 292, BAvg 6.7, Avg 7.0

It seems the head-to-head preferences align fine with the BGG rankings.

But what the numbers can never tell us is why. And there are certainly plenty of voices here with every possible preference, so it's not cut and dried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yinsh
2. Zertz
3. Tamsk
4. Dvonn
5. Punct
6. Gipf

I find gipf to be leas least appealing overall, even though I've only played 1 game of Punct so far (and wrongly at that). Yinsh is the easiest to get into rules wise, and has the best balancing method. Zertz has a great sense of forcing others' moves versus making the best move for yourself. Tamsk has a cool concept I haven't explored fully yet, Dvonn I haven't really "gotten" yet even though I've played a few games. That's my rundown, basically buy them all, but I find Gipf to be the driest.

-jjacy1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
But what the numbers can never tell us is why.

I'll throw a few more comments out.

One of the neat things about Pünct is that it's the only abstract I know where you can really trick someone by placing a piece down which seems like it's there for one purpose when in reality you have something completely different in mind.

I used to like Gipf more (previously would have ranked it #2), but I've found that larger strategies beyond "make a big mass of pieces and see what happens" have been hard to come by. Also, between two strong players the board can "reset" often and so the game can take a long time to finish. However, I'm still very enthusiastic about trying it with the potentials.

Tamsk is way cool and underrated on BGG, I think. As someone else said, it's hard to compare to the other games because it's so different in feel.

Yinsh is fun but the board changes very quickly compared to the other games, so it doesn't have the same strategic feel. On the other hand, this makes it more accessible, since it levels the playing field in terms of look-ahead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yinsh
2) Zertz
3) Gipf
4) Dvonn
5) Punct

Haven't gotten Tamsk yet, but that's VERY high on my need to get list.

It's a very close race, I REALLY enjoy the top 3 alot, and play them with my son. Dvonn is a bit lower, probably due to the fact it's the only one I've had for longer than 6 months, and Punct comes in last, mainly because I am having the most trouble getting my head wrapped around it.

But I do enjoy all of the games quite a bit, and am looking forward to playing them for years to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.