9 Posts

Dust 1947» Forums » Rules

Subject: Range C attacks against Aircraft? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Waegmund Scylding
msg tools
mbmbmb
Rules clarification question - Can "Rhino" Charge or otherwise Attack aircraft in flight?

Flying ability states - "The Unit can pass over any Terrain as if it were Open Terrain, provided that it ends its Move or March Move Action in Terrain that it could normally occupy." I interpret this to mean that he must start and end his turn on the ground, which would negate attacking and charging aircraft unless they were also on the ground. To me it seems broken that he can end a MarchMove at an air Unit's base, then charge, hit it, and land.

That said, Rhino's Range C weapons DO include Aircraft Damage stats.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankysan
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Rhino can punch planes. I don't really understand what you mean by "landing". A flying unit is always flying, it never lands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waegmund Scylding
msg tools
mbmbmb
I must be remembering this from the Tactics Advanced Aircraft Rules, "An airborne aircraft unit can use a MOVE action to land, entering grounded status." But 1947 doesn't address this type of movement at all... I guess this means Aircraft are always flying, as you say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrunkenDraugr wrote:
I must be remembering this from the Tactics Advanced Aircraft Rules, "An airborne aircraft unit can use a MOVE action to land, entering grounded status." But 1947 doesn't address this type of movement at all... I guess this means Aircraft are always flying, as you say.
Yeah, those rules about Aircraft that lands were optional add-on rules in V1.

But Rhino and other units with Flying (called Jump in V1) and with Rocket Punches was always able to attack Aircraft in Close Combat. This has been the exact same rule in V1, V2 and now in V3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think he was referencing Rhino when he's talking about the Flying ability.

Frankysan wrote:
I don't really understand what you mean by "landing". A flying unit is always flying, it never lands.

Rhino is an Infantry unit, so he's not considered an Aircraft. He does need to begin and end his movement on the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shydler
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
marwan_marwan wrote:

Frankysan wrote:
I don't really understand what you mean by "landing". A flying unit is always flying, it never lands.

Rhino is an Infantry unit, so he's not considered an Aircraft. He does need to begin and end his movement on the ground.

I am not certain about this: I don't think it is explicitly stated in V3. That was one of the "clarifications" we asked for. If various infantry are now "flying" units....when are they on the ground? And when do they lose any cover status?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankysan
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skiprydell wrote:
marwan_marwan wrote:

Frankysan wrote:

I am not certain about this: I don't think it is explicitly stated in V3. That was one of the "clarifications" we asked for. If various infantry are now "flying" units....when are they on the ground? And when do they lose any cover status?

Flying for infantry only effects how they are able to move. In all other respects they work like any other infantry unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my interpretation and understanding of it too. It's a movement skill.

Frankysan wrote:
Flying for infantry only effects how they are able to move. In all other respects they work like any other infantry unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frankysan wrote:
This is correct.

The name of the Skill, "Flying", is unfortunate and should really have been "Jumping" or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.