$20.00
$60.00
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It comes with 370 cards. Civil War has more cards than all other big box expansions, and with more randomizable content than all sets (since you've got to substract starting hands, wounds, bystanders, SHIELD Officers, etc. from the 2 base sets).

2. It introduces a new type of cards, the Divided cards. Basically, they increased significantly the number of unique hero cards in the game, by splitting the cards in 2. Both halves of the card have the same cost, which has to be paid only once per card. Each side has unique effects, most of the time confronting players with a choice between Recruit and Attack, or between drawing cards and other beneficial effects. The two halves of a Divided card also have different classes, and, in 4 cases, even different teams (Peter Parker/Aunt May, Daredevil/Iron Fist, Cloak/Dagger and Storm/Black Panther). Two of the hero sets in the game have 3 out of the 4 types of cards Divided (with the exception of the rares) - Cloak/Dagger and Storm/Black Panther. All other heroes have 1 Divided cards, which sometimes features themselves (Goliath, Tigra) and sometimes features another character. The Divided cards provide you with lots of interesting decisions to make, can be employed in some amazing combos, if you build your deck carefully, and are a fun departure from the type of cards prevalent in the game so far. However, it has to be mentioned that they could have implemented slightly differently, by having thematically divided cards - you could have had Iron Man/Captain America for instance, in order to reflect the theme of division. Furthermore, some people may have issues with the smaller text, which could be regarded as painfully small for those with less than excellent eyesight. They also slightly increase the wrap up time. Other people have complained about the artwork, but I think it's fine enough for how small scale it had to be done. Here you can see one of these divided cards: http://upperdeckblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/2016-upp...

3. It has a decent number of keywords, all of which bring something new to the game. Gone are the days of the gajilion keywords introduced in Secret Wars and even further in the past rest the innocent days of the Dark City mechanically straightforward keywords. Civil War brings to the fore 4 new keywords (Size-Changing, Fortify, Phasing and SHIELD Clearance) and resurrects Bribe (originating in the Dark City box and recurring in Secret Wars volum 1 and even the cousin of Marvel Legendary, Big Trouble in Little China).

Size-Changing is perhaps the least innovative and least thematic keyword, though it makes sense mechanically, considering the introduction of the controversial Divided cards. Size-changing is used both on hero and villain cards, but in both instances it is followed by a class symbol (for instance, Size-Changing: Strength, or Size-Changing: Tech). When it appears on hero cards, it means that, if you reveal a card with that class, you can recruit the card by paying 2 less recruit points. In the case of the Divided cards which also feature Size-changing, you can choose which half of the divided card you want to pay the cost for, depending on what class you have in your hand. When it appears on villais, it acts as a less-efficient Cosmic Threat, since it reduces that villains' attack by 2 (not-stackable). For instance, if a villain has Size-Changing: Covert and an attack of 8*, if you reveal a Covert hero you can defeat that villain by gathering only 6 attack. I think that a much better implementation of the size-changing would have been the following:

Size-changing: Class X.
If you have a hero with class X, the recruit cost of a hero from the HQ is reduced by 2. If you don't, its recruit cost is increased by 2.
If you have a hero with class X, the attack of a villain is reduced by 2. If you don't, its attack cost is increased by 2.

Some advantages of this version:
- it slightly increases the difficulty;
- it provides incentives for strategically building your deck, because you will have to recruit heroes with as many classes as possible, in order to be able to attack a wide variety of villains and to recruit as easy as possible a wide variety of heroes;
- it is more thematic - in the comics, heroes both increase and decrease their size. Furthermore, it could be considered that you have to be smart and learn a villain's weakness in order to defeat her; if you don't use Tech, for instance, she might be invulnerable to other strategies, or at least more resilient. Similarly, you have to use Instinct in order to cajole someone to join your side.

Phasing means that you swap a card with that keyword with the top card of your deck (or two, if you have Vision's amazing rare!). This does not count as playing it or as drawing a card, but can lead to some cool combos, if you have heroes that can manipulate the deck (Daredevil and Wiccan from this set come to mind, or Daredevil from Dark City, Spider Woman from PTTR, Sabretooth from Villains, etc.). It's a neat mechanic, and an improved version of the villainous Dodge, since it can be employed in the aforementioned combos.

SHIELD Clearance is perhaps one of the most annoying keywords introduced in the game, alongside Feast. A villain with SHIELD Clearance cannot be defeated unless you also discard a SHIELD/Hydra card. One of the most difficult schemes, The Dark Reign of HAMMER Officers, makes good use of this pesty little keyword! It radically changes the way you approach a game, since it means that you either have to cut back on KO-ing your starting cards, or you have to acquire SHIELD Officers! Maria Hill, one of the 5 masterminds, has double SHIELD Clearance, which entails, as you must have guessed, that you have to discard 2 SHIELD/Hydra cards!

Finally, we have Fortify, arguably the most ingenious keyword of the set. Fortify actually means a lot of things, depending on what is stated on the card. Fortify the mastermind means in some cases that you cannot defeat the mastermind unless you defeat the fortifying villain (Colleen Wing does that upon escaping). Fortify the bystander stack (Venom's escape effect) means that you KO all bystanders that normally you should have rescued. Fortify a player's deck (Iron Spider's Ambush effect) means that players draw 5 cards instead of 6 until the end of your turn. The worst thing? Although fortifying villains are not in the escape pile, they do KO heroes from the HQ when they escape, and they still pose a threat even after they have escaped! There are even a fortifying scheme and a fortifying mastermind (Authoritarian Iron Man), which basically means that now schemes are wandering through the city (or, to be more exact, above it)!

4. It is the most difficult set so far. The combination of villains + masterminds + schemes means that you must have a very good day to win a game! Never before have I experienced so many losses against a Legendary game! Authoritarian Iron Man is particularly difficult to beat, since he cannot be defeated when he fortifies a city space containing a villain. I shall explain: his master strike has him move though the city, starting in the city space closest to him and advancing towards the villain deck. if there is a villain in that city space, it gets +3 attack. Furthermore, while a vilain is there, you cannot attack the mastermind. By the end of the game, he will be more difficult to beat, since there will almost always be a villain underneath him that you will have to defeat. I think it's a brilliant - brilliant design. Very creative and very interesting usage of the fortifying keyword, and contributing towards a very tough set!

5. Some fan favorites are present in the set- even if you do not have any other expansion, you will be able to play as Luke Cage, Vision, Falcon, a better-than-base-set-Spider-Man, Daredevil, Black Panther. Even for the casual MCU fan, those are some household names that cannot but entice her to buy the game! Furthermore, if you love comics, then you are going to love seeing the Young Avengers (although, unfortunately, here I should mention my biggest gripe - that there is no separate Young Avengers affiliation! Instead, they are all thrown under the Avengers umbrella. Talk about a motley crew!)

6. It has 2 of the best and most unique Henchmen groups. Yes, you read correctly. I put forward the henchmen groups as an argument for my statement that this is the best expansion to date. Hear me out: the Mandroids grow stronger throughout the game, and become especially tough in solo or 2-player games, as they get +1 for each of them in your victory pile. The Cape-Killers feature the annoying SHIELD Clearance presented above! Talk about some nasty henchmen!

7. It introduces unique wounds, with different healing conditions, and unique sidekicks, which embody the cute Pet Avengers! Now you don't need Secret Wars volume 1 in order to have sidekicks, nor do you need Villains if you want more diversity in the generic cards-that-clog-your-deck department.

8. It has 5 masterminds, all of which are incredibly powerful, and incredibly thematic (With 1 exception). Baron Zemo relies on his villains and henchmen, and the more you defeat the weaker he is. Misty Knight is deceptive and can be bribed. Authoritarian Iron Man gets to the ground and is not afraid to get his hands dirty. Maria Hill features the SHIELD clearance keyword and has some of the most detrimental tactics in the game! Ragnarok is the only one who feels a little off, for two reasons - 1. really, who came up with the idea of him as a mastermind? 2. he gets more powerful the more classes are in the hq, something that, as somebody pointed out in another thread, would have made more sense for Captain America than for a Thor-copy (Fortunately, his tactics make more sense since they are similar to the other effects of Thor hero and villain cards in the game).

9. It provides the players with meaningful decisions to make, via the Divided cards, the numerous challenging schemes, the fortifying effects (should i defeat that fortifying villain now, since he will hinder my further efforts, or should i take advantage of my powerful hand now and defeat the mastermind or that villain that will fortify too upon escaping?) - for analysis-paralysis prone groupsm, this might be a bit of a headache, but for most Legendary players, it will solve one of the biggest issues of the base set even if they do not have any other expansion. and this finally brings us to...

10. It provides a complete experience, which does not require any other set in order to feel like a perfect game. While I love Secret Wars volume 2, that one feels complete only if you also have Secret Wars volume 1. The small boxes add too little to the game (at least quantitatively-speaking), while Dark City adds too little mechanically speaking. Civil War increases the complexity of the game, the difficulty, everything, and this, as far as I am concerned, is what makes it the perfect Legendary expansion.

Upon concluding, I shall mention the fact that yes, some of the schemes might seem similar to previous schemes (epic super hero civil war comes to mind). Yes, the divided cards are not as thematic as they could have been. Yes, it's a one-sided story told by the box, despite the solicit and despite what is written on the back of the box. Yes, we kinda need a volume 2 in order to be able to play as both sides of civil war. Nonetheless, for all the reasons mentioned above, Civil War feels like the best Marvel Legendary has had to offer so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
My wife and I LOVE Marvel Legendary. We started with the base set and added almost every expansion. We play about 4 times a week. Superb at 2 player. Upper Deck is making this game more interesting and more fun with each expansion. Enjoy reading your forum posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Adelin, I would like to commend you for writing your own review rather that going and negging other people's reviews. I think that your review is well reasoned and well presented. While it won't convince me that this is the best set ever *cough* Dark City *cough*, it is a very well done review.

BTW, I think divided cards are the bees knees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vega Dark
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually find 2 player to be the worst. Rarely is a game competitive - Either you win by a large margin or lose by a large margin in my experience. That is, if you're playing the official rules where whoever has more VP points wins. Some people play pure co-op where I can see 2 player being much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never wholeheartedly play Legendary at more than 2 players. With 2 players everything runs smoothly - you do not have to wait for your turn that long, the villain deck seems much more balanced, and the game length is significantly reduced. Of course, some setups will be less balanced than others, but if you randomize everything, as you should, this won't be true on the long term. Some hero cards will be less powerful (Rogue's or Ghost Rider's rares for instance), and some masterminds will be easier to beat (Baron Zemo), but overall I find 2 the ideal player count for Legendary Marvel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom and Justin! Also, Justin, I've never heard that expression before (the bee's knees thingy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
I would never wholeheartedly play Legendary at more than 2 players. With 2 players everything runs smoothly - you do not have to wait for your turn that long, the villain deck seems much more balanced, and the game length is significantly reduced. Of course, some setups will be less balanced than others, but if you randomize everything, as you should, this won't be true on the long term. Some hero cards will be less powerful (Rogue's or Ghost Rider's rares for instance), and some masterminds will be easier to beat (Baron Zemo), but overall I find 2 the ideal player count for Legendary Marvel.

Agreed on the above. Plus anything over two players starts to feel loooong with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stroud
msg tools
Nice summary and review! Personally this expansion will fall near the bottom of my favorites list. There are only a few components of it I really like and will use on a regular basis, but I'm glad the community as a whole likes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Legendary shines at 3 because there are are usually three pretty different deck strategies going and more of a variety of things happening. 4 is okay, but I've sworn off 5 players because it just takes too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin H

Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that two people is usually too easy. Three might be the best, sets a good balance between difficulty and cycling through the HQ at a decent rate. I'd say I would prefer 4 players over 2 as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Finnegan
msg tools
mb
I play a lot of four player and three player plus a mastermind player games. Also get a lot of two player and some solo games in. Been a while since I was involved in a three player (no mastermind) set up and cant even remember playing a five player game. Definitely prefer four players over two, and really enjoy three plus a mastermind, though I think we have like .150 winning percentage over the mastermind player, or something terrible like that. Mastermind rarely loses. Still really fun though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Adelin, your review is excellent. I too commend you for writing a review instead of making a bunch of posts slamming negative reviews.

I don't own it yet but suspect I'll like it, but not be my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm I have forgotten about the mastermind mode . Yes, that could be one of the reasons why 3 or 4 player games are better than 2 player games - it's not that fun to be the mastermind in 1vs 1 confrontations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
flag msg tools
I think Civil War is the best expansion yet especially for 2 players. Good review Adelin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort hughson
msg tools
I have to say I was at first unsure about the "two-sided" cards, but they made for a cool game and led to some interesting decisions. Attempted to play Authoritarian Iron Man with 4 players and unfortunately evil won. I much prefer a good challenge over an easy win, so I'll definitely be looking at builds with this expansion more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.