Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,
My friends and I played Cosmic Encounter this past weekend (only one of us had played the game before, it was everyone else's first game). I have several beginner questions regarding the game.

1.) If I’m the Red player and I have no Red ships/colonies on 1 of the planets in my home system, but Blue and Green both have colonies on that planet and I draw “Red” from the Destiny deck, do I automatically get to put my Red ships back on my red planet? Or do I have to have an encounter with Green and/or Blue?

2.) If the Red player has no Red ships on one of the planets on its home system, but Blue and Green both have colonies on that planet –and I’m the Yellow player and I draw “Red” from the Destiny deck, can I automatically establish a Yellow Colony on that planet in Red’s system? Or do I have to somehow have an encounter with Blue and/or Green?

3.) Are players allowed to exchange/trade/gift cards to other players at any other time in the game other than during a Negotiation? Example: If I’m the Red player and I have no Negotiate cards in my hand, but I do have the Blue player’s Alien Flare card and an Encounter card with attack power 10 in my hand, and I’m trying to establish a colony in Blue’s system, can I tell the Blue player before encounter cards are played “If you throw this fight, I’ll give you your Alien’s Flare card”? and then in turn proceed to give the Blue player his Alien Flare card after the encounter has resolved and I’ve established my Red colony on one of Blue’s planets? Furthermore, am I allowed to tell the Blue player before Encounter cards are played “All I have is a 10 attack card in my hand”?

4.) If your ships are not in the Warp, and you have multiple ships committed to foreign colonies, is there any way to redistribute/get them back? What I mean is if I’m the Red player and I’ve had four successful encounters in which I’ve committed four ships three times and three ships one time during my previous four encounters, then I would have 15 of my 20 ships (three groups of four and one group of three ships) placed on foreign planets, leaving me with only five ships left in my home system (one ship on each planet in my home system). How do I get some of my foreign, non-dead, ships back to my side so that I can commit them to future encounters?

5.) If you possess the Flare card of the Alien Species that you are playing, can you play both “Wild” and “Super” effects? Do you have a choice? Or are you ONLY allowed to play the “Super” effect since that is your Alien species? If you can play both “Wild” and “Super”, are you allowed to play both in the same turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You have to attack one player or the other to regain that home colony. If no other player were there, you can land automatically. That still counts as one of your encounters.

2) Yellow has to attack Red, and Red has zero ships defending. The other players are uninvolved unless they are invited to join in. They wouldn't have much incentive to help attack, normally.

3) No trading cards unless you have a power or card that lets you.

4) When you ally with the defense and return ships, they can go to any colony where you have ships. Also if ships are sent "back to colonies" for any reason, they can go to any of your home or foreign colonies. Ship management is just part of the game.

5) You can only play Super, unless you have lost your power, then you can only play Wild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
4a) It's statistically reasonable that one or two of those foreign colonies you gained were via making a deal as the offense. In this case, return your ships in the gate back to your home colonies, and pull different ships from your existing foreign colonies to establish your new one. You aren't required to use your gate ships for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 3 and 4 weren't answered completely:
3. About telling what you have, the general rule in the game (unless overriden by a power or card of course) is that you can say anything you want, but you can't show your cards or transfer them.
4. Your foreign colonies are just like your home colonies in terms of using ships from there - whenever you send ships to the gate as the offence or an ally you can take them from any colony you want, including foreign ones. That's the main way of removing ships from foreign colonies and reusing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kolbe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your hand resets on your turn, it ends automatically. But from what I understand if you have no encounter cards, you only reset your hand when you're a main player again.. So if it's your turn and you start it with no encounter cards is that a lost turn?

EDIT: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Point #2 (answered by Jack Reda/The Warp): ....

If Yellow has to attack Red and Red has zero ships defending, does Red still get a chance to play Encounter/Attack cards? Or because they have zero ships in the encounter, does that automatically exclude them from being able to play Attack cards (since flavorwise, there are no aliens physically "there" on the planet that is being attacked).

Also, although it may be disadvantageous 99% of the time, are you allowed to take a ship that is your last ship holding one of your home planets and committing it to an Encounter by placing it on the Hyperspace cone? (I realize this would make you lose control of one of your planets, but are you allowed to willingly do this? or must your last ship on a Home Planet be defeated by a foreign invader during an Encounter?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Glyn
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robnixilis wrote:
If Yellow has to attack Red and Red has zero ships defending, does Red still get a chance to play Encounter/Attack cards? Or because they have zero ships in the encounter, does that automatically exclude them from being able to play Attack cards (since flavorwise, there are no aliens physically "there" on the planet that is being attacked).

Yes, Red must still play an Encounter card (Attack or Negotiate) against Yellow.

robnixilis wrote:
Also, although it may be disadvantageous 99% of the time, are you allowed to take a ship that is your last ship holding one of your home planets and committing it to an Encounter by placing it on the Hyperspace cone? (I realize this would make you lose control of one of your planets, but are you allowed to willingly do this? or must your last ship on a Home Planet be defeated by a foreign invader during an Encounter?)

Yes you may take your last ship from a colony, though that colony is immediately lost and your alien power is immediately forfeit if that brings you to less than three home system colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert P
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the quick and informative replies! GG all around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
1) You have to attack one player or the other to regain that home colony. If no other player were there, you can land automatically. That still counts as one of your encounters.

2) Yellow has to attack Red, and Red has zero ships defending. The other players are uninvolved unless they are invited to join in. They wouldn't have much incentive to help attack, normally.

Of course, Jack's answer to your Q1+2 here are correct. It's NOT automatic.

However, just a niggling point or two:

1) The Encounter you choose with the other color may be Attack OR Negotiate. Negotiate doesn't **assure** you of gaining a colony, though.

2. You must have an Encounter with Red on that planet even though he defends with a card plus zero ships.

(Also, you can't normally have Encounters with tokens of a color different from the color of the planet they are on. The only normal exception to that is trying to regain a colony on one of the worlds of your own color.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VKolbe wrote:
If your hand resets on your turn, it ends automatically. But from what I understand if you have no encounter cards, you only reset your hand when you're a main player again.. So if it's your turn and you start it with no encounter cards is that a lost turn?

EDIT: grammar

Old thread I know but it was bumped already so I can't let this one say loose.

At the start of your turn (before the first encounter, not the second!), if you have no encounter cards you discard the other cards and draw a new hand. In that case you do not lose the turn.

Only if you find yourself with no encounter cards later in the turn, most often if you had only one encounter card at the start or if someone steals cards from you, then your turn ends. Most often it happens after the first encounter and then you simply don't get a second. In the case you lose all encounter cards during an encounter (after launch but before planning), you and all allies simply go home and the encounter ends without a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
Trader can be mean like that. IIRC you get to choose to trade BEFORE checking to see if you have an encounter card for the current encounter. So on offense you can trade away your hand with no encounter cards, or on defense force the offense to end their turn if you trade with none.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.