Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔✔✔✔➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that's occurred to me as a useful add-in would be a team-specific reference card for the special abilities. There are enough similarly-named or similarly-behaved abilities that I think that's a spot for potential confusion or perception of complexity: "Which guy's power is when he has the ball? Which one is when he doesn't? Is this the 'knock down' or 'switch spots' effect?"

To give an example of what I'm envisioning, here's what a sample card for the Monsters might look like:
Quote:
Monsters
#33: Block Party
summary of Block Party

#55: Blitz
summary of Blitz

#7: Juke, Run Block
summary of Juke
summary of Run Block

There's a known maximum amount of info (4 players with one ability each), and stripped down to number/ability/summary, it seems like that would fit onto a card without legibility issues. The cards could be printed double-sided with the alternate players on the reverse. Ideally, two cards per team could be present (one for each coach), but I suspect that one per would be enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try some different card layouts this weekend, but my instinct is that it'll be too much text with certain combinations of abilities. Worst case scenario, all the special skills and abilities will fit on a QRS. A tarot sized card might be the answer to this though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like he idea of two (one per coach).

But this is the kind of file I'd be willing to download from BGG :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TnT! wrote:
I do like he idea of two (one per coach).

But this is the kind of file I'd be willing to download from BGG :-)

Gotcha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔✔✔✔➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a rough stab at how something like this could block out on 3.5" x 2.5" cards. Abilities are blanked, but I left the final period on each one so that you can see where the text stopped.
I ran into issues with the Tyrants (didn't overrun, but all four abilities needing 3 lines of text stressed things) -- but the bottom right drops the ability text size down to 10 pt and the bottom margin is restored. And 18 / 14 / 10 pt seems pretty good relative to what a lot of card games do for font sizes.

Also, these explanations are condensed; special cases like critical successes or weird interactions aren't covered, but I think they're good enough that I'd be comfortable handing them to a new player and saying "here's your reminder" after actually teaching the abilities.

Standard "I am not a graphic designer" disclaimer applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You may not be a graphic designer, but those look good. They're clean and functional, and it wouldn't take much to fancy them up! Adding team colors alone would take it up a notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔✔✔✔➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update to unhide the abilities:

These are not formal exact versions of the abilities, but they're pretty close -- hopefully close enough for a working version / reminder.

I've also messed around with cards specced for DriveThruCards, including a touch of team color on the team names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Stephen, those look great!
I tried doing something like that but didn't manage to make them fit on my PnP cards... Nice job summarizing the skills!
I'm still learning the ropes (7vs7 - no skills), but those will come up handy for sure when the time comes to unleash the star players ;-)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen, we might just have to get these onto DriveThru after the campaign is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.