Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided on Sekigahara to introduce me to the genre. I'm wondering though what other companies make these kinds of games besides GMT and Columbia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Academy Games puts out Strike of the Eagle. It's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deer Valley Games has THE GETTYSBURG CAMPAIGN and THE VICKSBURG CAMPAIGN. I've only played Gettysburg, but found it quite in depth,especially the combat system, for being a relatively simple block game on the subject.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Snider
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
If you like WWII, Conquistador Games (now called Artana) put out two great games a few years ago, great production quality too, I really enjoyed them:

War Stories: Red Storm
War Stories: Liberty Road

And if you like Gettysburg, Mercury Games' The Guns of Gettysburg is a nice block wargame too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VentoNuovo Games is an up-and-coming block game company:
Blocks Series covering WWII on multiple fronts
Moscow '41
Waterloo 200
1914: Germany at War

From GMT, I highly recommend Triumph & Tragedy. It has a fascinating economy and is a great 3-sided sandbox WWII experience.

For Columbia, I've heard wonders about Rommel in the Desert and EastFront II, but haven't tried them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually tried reading the rule books for Columbia games like War Of 1812 but couldn't understand them so I've basically completely given up on that company unless I can maybe get good answers to rules questions. I asked and nobody was any help.

For instance in War Of 1812 I have no idea how movement works
like rule 6.1 and 4.3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too recommend Napoleon's Triumph and its predecessor, Napoleon at Marengo, (both OOP though and pretty expensive now), and Triumph and Tragedy, (although I'd wait a couple of months and get the 2nd edition as it will come with a mounted board).

My two cents worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
I actually tried reading the rule books for Columbia games like War Of 1812 but couldn't understand them so I've basically completely given up on that company unless I can maybe get good answers to rules questions. I asked and nobody was any help.

For instance in War Of 1812 I have no idea how movement works
like rule 6.1 and 4.3

From Columbia website, section 4.3 and 6.1:

4.3 PLAYER TURNS

Army Phase: A player can make one
army move. If a player moves blocks
to a town containing enemy blocks a
battle is resolved in the Battle Phase.

6.1 ARMY MOVEMENT
Each Army Phase a player can move
any/all blocks located in one town to one
or more adjacent towns connected by a
road/trail. There is no limit to the number
of blocks that may be located in one town.

So what is your question?

4.3 is just an outline of what to do in a turn; a sequence of play.

6.1 states,
"Each Army Phase a player can move
any/all blocks located in one town ..."

So pick a town that you have blocks in. Any/all blocks may be moved. Note it says one town, not two, three, or more. That is the army move. Where do you move them to?
"to one or more adjacent towns connected by a road/trail."

So adjacent towns are those that are connected by road or trail. Any/all blocks in the targeted town may be moved to one or more adjacent towns splitting them up any way you see fit. Not all blocks need be moved to the same adjacent town, nor does every block in the targeted town need to be moved. If you have four blocks in the town and there are four road/trails connecting to adjacent towns, they may be moved to any of the four different towns in any quantities you like, including all the blocks in the targeted town to one town. There is no limit to the number of blocks that may be located in one town.

Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an expert on block games but I've played a few and my favourite by far is Crusader Rex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the 1812 rules clarification that helps a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Lynch
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hovercraft wrote:
thanks for the 1812 rules clarification that helps a lot

You're welcome. If you can find someone who plays that game in your area, it is always better to learn from someone who already knows how to play.

I am a big fan of Columbia Games, just so you know where I'm coming from. I think that 1812 is a great place to start. I also want to echo what Jim said about "Crusader Rex", with the caveat that it is a big step up from 1812. If we're playing that game of which you like best, I would add "Rommel in the Desert".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General when people think block wargames, Sekigahara isn't really representative of the genre. It uses blocks yes, but similarities pretty much end there. It is a fantastic game, but not really what people are looking for when they mention block wargames.

Julius Caesar is great (and people at the wargame meetup tend to really enjoy it also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worthington Games makes block games as well - the Holdfast series.

HoldFast: Korea 1950-1951

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.