Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape: The Curse of the Temple is an intense, timed, co-op game. In it players are Indiana Jones-like explorers inside an ancient temple. It comes with a 10 minute long soundtrack, and when the soundtrack ends the temple collapses on top of anyone who's left in it, and game is over. So, players have just 10 minutes to search the temple, find enough gems to get out of it, and leave. The temple itself is a modular board made up of tiles that will be placed out as players discover new rooms.

There are no turns. As soon as the soundtrack begins everyone starts rolling dice frantically. The dice are custom 6 sided affairs. They depict various pictures instead of numbers, or pips. The co-op aspect of the game comes into play in the sharing of these dice in certain situations. For example, dice can be lost if the "cursed" side comes up. Another player can "uncurse" your dice if you've lost too many. Also, players' combined roll can be used in some rooms to get rid of gems. Getting rid of gems is important, because to leave the temple players will need to roll 1 "key" more than however many gems are left over. Everyone must escape for it to be considered a win.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple is pressure filled. You know you only have 10 minutes, and the soundtrack really ratchets up the sense of near panic. It starts off slow, but increases in tempo, even featuring a pounding heart-type sound. The only drawback that I sense is they game does become repetitive after a few plays, as all you're doing every time is rolling dice as fast as you can to get the symbols you need. It's a good one to play though if you've never played it before, and a really great game to show others. Watching their reaction if fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think a way to spice up this game might be to do something a poster recommended in another thread..

To make different temples from the many expansions and mini expansions, and then try to clear them all.

For example, maybe 'The Dark Labyrinth' would include darker tiles, dungeon, more black mask related things, etc, along with specific treasures that are more suited to this temple.

I've yet to do it myself, but I think it might get it to the table again.

Anyway, nice review!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
I think a way to spice up this game might be to do something a poster recommended in another thread..

To make different temples from the many expansions and mini expansions, and then try to clear them all.

For variety there are some official Campaign rules and even official challenges (the latter require one or two of the first two expansions). You can of course combine them any way you like. There are a lot of queenies and mini-expansions to this game that add a huge variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.