Fairy Tale» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Great Card Drafting Game, and That's No Tall Tale! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Fairy_Tale [+] [View All]
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale is a standard card drafting game. In it you start with a hand of cards. You will then pick the card you most want from that hand and keep it. The rest of the cards you will pass to your neighbour on one side, while taking the remaining cards from your neighbour's hand on the other side. You'll take the card you most want of those, and pass the rest again.

What you're trying to do is draft the cards that will work best together to generate the most points. After a predetermined number of rounds the player with the most points wins.

There are some agonizing decisions to be made in Fairy Tale, as with most card drafting games. For example, do you take the card that will really help you, or the card that won't help you that much, but will really help your neighbour? Do you take a card that will directly benefit you, or a card that will attack other players? Do you take a certain card now, or send it along and hope it comes back to you?

I find Fairy Tale to be a fun game. However, there are a couple minor draw backs. The fantasy theme is pasted on, and really has nothing to do with the game mechanics at all. So, don't expect a rich experience that way. Also, the symbology on the cards can be a little puzzling at first, but shouldn't take too long to become familiar with.

Overall, I highly recommend Fairy Tale if you want a nice light card drafting game that doesn't take long to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Larchenko
Russia
Ivanteevka
Moscow region
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's best in team play, with Richard Garfield' rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy Fairy Tale a lot. It has become my groups "go to" game, when we have a few minutes left waiting for someone to arrive, or return with food and drink.

Short, enjoyable, and not-too-thinky for when your brain is too tired for something meatier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
carrion wrote:
Short, enjoyable, and not-too-thinky for when your brain is too tired for something meatier.
For the curious, I would say that it is definitely a step up from Sushi Go though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
For the curious, I would say that it is definitely a step up from Sushi Go though.

Yes, absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.