Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, I recently got into ES and I fell in love and bought all the expansions. I realized that I enjoyed the surprise of Gates/OoI better so I decided to label the backs of the cards with green, yellow, and red dots (Avery label brand). With this variant I also use the Entrance cards from Unseen Forces with the following errata:

Each trophy requirement in the First Aid Entrance is bumped up by 1. So 1 trophy to gain a Stamina or Sanity, 3 to fully gain one, etc.

Also I play that you can purchase during your clock phase, and you can purchase for other investigators who are on any of the entrance spaces.

It was a cheap and easy way to enjoy the cards from the base game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to see people making the game their own!

I do think that 5 trophies is too little for blessing, though. I always save up my trophies for a blessing because it's extremely powerful, but I guess it would be harder to hold on to when you can't see the adventures you're about to enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
I decided to label the backs of the cards with green, yellow, and red dots (Avery label brand).

I like the idea of this - was there any methodology to how you decided between green/yellow/red for each card? Or just more of a gut feeling on how the cards are to beat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:

I do think that 5 trophies is too little for blessing, though. I always save up my trophies for a blessing because it's extremely powerful, but I guess it would be harder to hold on to when you can't see the adventures you're about to enter.

I must be missing something. Isn't the blessing die gone forever after one use? And you have protection from one curse. Why is this extremely powerful?

Gribbon wrote:
coyotemoon722 wrote:
I decided to label the backs of the cards with green, yellow, and red dots (Avery label brand).

I like the idea of this - was there any methodology to how you decided between green/yellow/red for each card? Or just more of a gut feeling on how the cards are to beat?

Yeah here are some of the metrics I used in deciding level of difficulty:

risk/reward analysis
terror effects
entry effects
midnight effects
dice lock effects
minimum dice requirement

I ignored trophy value in my analysis though many of the greens were of value 1, and most of the yellows were of value 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
nerman8r wrote:

I must be missing something. Isn't the blessing die gone forever after one use? And you have protection from one curse. Why is this extremely powerful?

You keep the Blessing until you have to curse yourself to complete a task, fail any adventure, or if the Ancient One awakens. Likewise, you are cursed until someone uses an item or the chapel to bless you, complete a quest, or the ancient one awakens. Also, if you are blessed and if you fail an adventure with a curse penalty or you are cursed and you pass an adventure with a blessing reward, you are IMMEDIATELY Cursed/Blessed (respectively) as the reward stacks with the normal resolve of that status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yeah here are some of the metrics I used in deciding level of difficulty:

risk/reward analysis
terror effects
entry effects
midnight effects
dice lock effects
minimum dice requirement

I would suggest that since the colours are designed to indicate whether you should be able to complete an adventure given the resources you have, that you mainly stick to:

terror effects
entry effects
dice lock effects
minimum dice requirement

Since rewards and midnight effects don't influence how difficult the adventure is to complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phill Webb
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I did a similar thing I chose it this way.

! Trophy = Green
2 Trophies - Yellow
3 Trophies - Red

And then went through and bumped all dice locking ones up a step.

Seems to work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:

You keep the Blessing until...

Just the blessing though right? Not the blessing die? That's a one-use thing right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
lomdr wrote:

Just the blessing though right? Not the blessing die? That's a one-use thing right?

I think you need to reread the rules.

"While an investigator is blessed, he adds the white die to his dice pool at the start of EACH adventure..." (emphasis mine)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
coyotemoon722 wrote:
lomdr wrote:

"While an investigator is blessed, he adds the white die to his dice pool at the start of EACH adventure..." (emphasis mine)

Yep, was trying to speak of the whole mechanic for being blessed/cursed, since there is only one die you can't exactly keep the die if more than one person gets the Buff/Debuff. Of course you would regain it once you attempt another adventure unless if something goes horribly wrong (like ancient one waking up)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
coyotemoon722 wrote:
lomdr wrote:

Ah okay, I missed that and got caught up in the "it stays in the pool until used, discarded, etc."

I'll amend my post to not give a discount then because that is indeed crazy powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's easy to get the card and the die mixed up. The Blessing card gives you the white die each time you start a new adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much, but hey, glad to have helped clarified, even if it wasn't that much clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.