5 Posts

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Inferiority Complex rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
So... Old Inferiority Complex was that during the power phase you would get 1 power for each player ahead of you on the VP track. depending on the number of players you would get 2 to 7 seven power if you where last on the VP track.

Apparently its been changed so that during the power phase you can now trade 2 VP for 4 power. This mean the power gain is more consistant, but what worries me a bit is that you can use it when you are ahead on the VP track and also that if you are lagging in VP you might actually consider not using it. Shouldn't this be the other way around ?

If Storm make a bad start he is going to either have to sacrifice a lot of VP to keep up his power or will try to play more conservatively to catch up in VP wich does not really fit the faction's intended playstyle and probably won't be very effective. Or at lest thats what it seems to me.

I guess my main concern is that with the new wording it does not look like an inferirority complex for being behind so much as an ego boost for doing good. I'm sure the change hasn't been made lightly and Sandy has good playtesting datas to back it up but still this is worrying me a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Semmen
msg tools
Decarcassor wrote:
I guess my main concern is that with the new wording it does not look like an inferirority complex for being behind so much as an ego boost for doing good.

Maybe they just need to rename it, "Ego Trip". The bully sulks when behind but proceeds to pound on people when he gets ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
OK thats 2 news now on the KS page advising Storm not to score too many VP on the first turn to be able to get power... Am I missing something here ? Isnt this pointless and even damaging with the new wording of Inferiority Complex ? Was it changed again or is there a caveat that was not mentioned ? Where theses news written before the change was made ? I'm so confused !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
They appear to have been written before the change. Under the "spend 2 vp for 4 power" rules, storm wants lots of vp.

Cheers, Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter advice was written before the change.

The change has been tested. Here is how it functions in practice:

1) STORM IS AHEAD - he might, but doesn't always, sack 2 VP and bully everyone. The problem is that it lets the rest catch up VP-wise. Also, if someone is really close to him in VP, it's worrisome because 2 VP makes a difference. Plus he may have enough Power anyway if he's ahead.

2) STORM IS BEHIND - he can sack 2 VP and try to get a better board position. He usually always does this unless it's the last turn of the game, if behind.

The basic issue is that really often, Gods War ends with a difference as small as 1 VP between the final players. This means that literally every single decision mattered. One VP can be the difference between victory and defeat. So you better be sure you're getting at least 2 VP out of that 4 Power you just spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.