Hide
11 Posts

Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star» Forums » General

Subject: So why would I want to buy this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Day Life
msg tools
I have Xia and enjoy it, but I am looking though this expansion and as far as I can tell it is one of those "more" expansions. Some new space tiles, some new cards and missions that kind of thing.. even a new ship.

The question I have then is, what exactly is the draw to buy this for a player that has probably not experienced most of what the original kicker gave me. I have yet to even use all the ships I own, let alone see all the decks.

Is there anything with some "wow" factor I am missing here, or is it simply one of those expansions that "makes all your decks fatter" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the excitement comes in the expanded variety of ships and tiles and cards that will be added. Variety is the spice of life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
I get that, but as I said, I have barley been though the existing content, let alone need new stuff. Every game is still "new".

I was just wondering if there is a "new awesome feature" in this expansion or if it is just a "make the decks bigger" kind of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo Campaign + Trade Economy = SOLD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Trade Economy is a big thing. That alone makes this a must have for me. Also, the new space station and ice asteroids are very cool.

Also some more of the same is not a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
ScottE wrote:
Trade Economy is a big thing. That alone makes this a must have for me. Also, the new space station and ice asteroids are very cool.

What is the "trade economy" thing?

skyzero wrote:
Solo Campaign

solo boardgaming makes no sense to me. Each to their own I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds you're not craving new content since you still have plenty that feels new to you. The expansion certainly offers new content (and a whole solo game), but I think it also goes beyond mere content to provide improved game balance, specifically in response to player feedback from the base game.

I'd say some of the top features include:
- Improved outfits that modify engines, shields, and weapons, making each even better, and offering more diverse strategies and fun.

- Improved exploration tokens and rules - I guess this is new content, but it replaces the base game exploration tokens entirely, and offers more fun options during exploration.

- Improved rules balance - there are a variety of minor rules changes. You can probably adopt most of these without owning the expansion, except for perhaps the starting setup. There is a new starting sector that includes the new space station, which offers a more balanced setup.

- Solo campaign as mentioned above, as well as the trade economy board, which addresses a common complaint about the power of trade routes in the base game.

Those are some of the non-content items that seem most important to me, but I'm sure there are others too. Also, even if you think you don't need more content now, I think having it will still add fun and increase the overall replayability of the game.

Disclaimer: I co-designed the expansion with Cody, so I'm biased!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
ira212 wrote:
I'd say some of the top features include:
- Improved outfits that modify engines, shields, and weapons, making each even better, and offering more diverse strategies and fun.

- Improved exploration tokens and rules - I guess this is new content, but it replaces the base game exploration tokens entirely, and offers more fun options during exploration.

- Improved rules balance - there are a variety of minor rules changes. You can probably adopt most of these without owning the expansion, except for perhaps the starting setup. There is a new starting sector that includes the new space station, which offers a more balanced setup.

Thanks, this is the kind of info I was looking for. While I would have liked to see some stuff that puts more game driven needs for combat between players I can get behind rule fixes and balancing ideas.

This more than anything has convinced me to get the expac while the late pledge manager is open.

ira212 wrote:
It sounds you're not craving new content since you still have plenty that feels new to you. The expansion certainly offers new content (and a whole solo game), but I think it also goes beyond mere content to provide improved game balance, specifically in response to player feedback from the base game.

Your right, extra content doesn't mean much to me really.

When a game box is as big as Xia was it doesn't matter to me if the deck is 30 cards deep or 40 cards deep when you only see a few a game.. or whatever just a made up example. The point is that random is random. Random 50 and random 100 are still both random, and you would need to play a LOT to see all 50 cards so much that it becomes boring.

There is a tendency in modern game design and gamers to embrace the idea of the "endless expansion". Expansions used to for games that had years and years in the market and were so popular that new additions were invented to "shake things up" and change the game play experience when using the expansion. Nowadays they are even selling basically empty boxes like Imperial Assault and you are required to buy so much content just to play it beyond what feels like a "demo".

I like the idea of a game being designed and working and you know... be done and not expect me to buy 500 additions. Looking at you Ares and Cool-Mini-or-Not... you ruined boardgames!! heh.. not quite but joking aside I think you see my point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
I like the idea of a game being designed and working and you know... be done and not expect me to buy 500 additions. Looking at you Ares and Cool-Mini-or-Not... you ruined boardgames!! heh.. not quite but joking aside I think you see my point.

I totally get this. Most games I own are lucky to make it to a table 20 times ever. And if a game is standout enough to do better enough, than it is standout enough that it probably doesn't need the expansions to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ira Fay
United States
New Haven
CT
flag msg tools
designer
:-)
badge
Fay Games logo
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
I would have liked to see some stuff that puts more game driven needs for combat between players

OK, I can discuss that:

- There is a new mission type that encourages combat
- One of the new outfits specifically enhances combat, and in particular is better for blasters than missiles (though good for both)
- There is a new Tier 2 ship that encourages combat
- There is a new Tier 2 ship that indirectly supports combat (movement)

There are a lot of indirect things that encourage combat, such as:
- New rules that reduce the penalty for being destroyed, which makes players more willing to risk destruction, which means they might go without shields or take more damage, and then an opportunistic attacker can destroy them
- New cargo that's high value but hard to get, making it an appealing target for pirates
- A new tier 1 ship that gathers cargo, making it an appealing target for pirates
- New engine outfits, making it easier to get in the right position to attack.
- A new damage type that can grow over time, making that ship a tasty target for pirates

I'm not sure how many of those things qualify as "needs for combat," but I'm certain that the expansion supports combat in interesting and fun ways.

My feeling on expansions are that they should add to the game in good ways without overshadowing or drastically changing the original. I feel very good about the balance we struck with this expansion for Xia. If you like the base game, I definitely think the expansion will make the game even more fun for you and your playgroup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D B
Netherlands
flag msg tools
You all forgot to tell about the events that effect the entire board. When you get along the fame point track you will trigger events that effect the entire board. All spawn points becoming wormholes, planetary lock downs, giant meteor flying across the board, Special sales at some planets, tier 3 pirate that will hunt you down and more. It also adds dead planets. Planets without borders where you can mine for relics. Be careful though you might take ice damage when you fail to succeed. There are some tiles that have gravity. So be careful when you try to get those 2 exploration tokens near the black hole because it might suck you in. This expansion is a must have if you like the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.