Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Hart
England
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally gave in and bought the starter box yesterday and boy was I taught a sharp lesson, I wont be back for any boosters, thats for sure.

I ended up with:
Executor (obv)
Viscount (of course, so far so good but then I knew they were in here!)
A Republic Cruiser (one of the most common ships)
An A Wing
A V Wing
An X Wing
A Droid Fighter
A Techno-Union Fighter
A Genosian Fighter
The Sith Infiltrator
A Jedi Starfighter

So £30 got me the two main ships and 8 of the cheapest, most common ships going. My anger at myself was the only thing stronger at my disgust at Wizkids for peddling it in this way but I can only really blame myself here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thoroughly agree - although after I bought my starter box I went on to get five booster boxes all funded by the sale of a few novels on eBay.

What would've been better is having the two large ships as normal then instead of the poor selection of ships we got they included a sealed booster box.

This is the reason why I am tempted by Axis & Allies War at Sea but thanks to the bad experience with SW:SSB I'm staying very much away.

If you want to see what I got in my starter box have a look at my picture:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/164196

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
liberor13 wrote:
So £30 got me the two main ships and 8 of the cheapest, most common ships going.

Your surprise is surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only two rares in the starter box are the two class 1 ships.
So you get commons and uncommons, what did you expect?
You base your opinion of a collectible game/miniatures line on the luck in your pulls?!
Good luck finding a "good game"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
Now don't get me wrong, I am NOT gonna defend the packaging decisions of WotC. However, to be fair, collectable games usually package in some kind of pyramid scheme. 1-rare, 2-uncommon, 5-common, or some other similar ratio. There is a random nature to the purchase of a collectable game, otherwise it would'nt be...collectable!

If you have never purchased or been exposed to a collectable game, your suprise might be understandable. There are lots of folks on forums both here and on Wizards website that will tell you exactly what they got in their boosters and starters.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liberor13 wrote:

So £30 got me the two main ships and 8 of the cheapest, most common ships going. My anger at myself was the only thing stronger at my disgust at Wizkids for peddling it in this way but I can only really blame myself here!

Just for the record, Star Wars Miniatures Starship Battles is made by Wizards of the Coast and not Wizkids. They are different companies, and Wizkids does in fact have a Star Wars collectable game called STAR WARS POCKETMODEL TRADING CARD GAME.

I just wanted to make sure you channel your anger in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Hart
England
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, I shall indeed channel my anger at the right company (I'm not a fan of WOTC per se anyway)

In answer to a few peoples points:

Sure, common and uncommon is what I should expect normally but I still ended up with 8 ships that all sell for £1 individually. Not one real capital ship, not really the basis of a "play out of the box game"

Now I actually liked the rules of the game and if i could have picked my pre-painted miniatures (at a slightly less extravgent price) then I'd be singing this games prices.

As for this comment:
The Jakster wrote:
The only two rares in the starter box are the two class 1 ships.
So you get commons and uncommons, what did you expect?
You base your opinion of a collectible game/miniatures line on the luck in your pulls?!
Good luck finding a "good game"...

I find fault with your agrument there (nothing personal) Firstly, you dont actually know WHAT I base my opinion on and its poor form to read words into what I said. Secondly, I was allready dubious about the cocnept, My main beef was the sheer "cheap-skate-ery" (not a real word) of the "pull" I got. As I said, the game looks good and the minis do look good

LAstly, my "suprise" is sarcastic. I am, after all, a Brit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ONLY way to buy ships for this game is as singles on Ebay. Doing so, I've been able to build up several very nice and sizeable fleets of starfighters.

The booster pack route however just isn't worth it at all with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole concept of paying serious money without knowing what you're getting (I know this is "standard" in these collectable games) is a bad concept in my opinion. The Starter box should contain a minimum set of ships that can play the included scenario and should include the ships everyone really needs to play -- a star destroyer or two, an MC80 or two, and some fighters from both sides in the same time period. The game should stand alone, but be helped by buying further boosters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.