$35.00
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During decimating an M-class planet, or assaulting a player's Romulan base, do you reveal hidden defenders (i.e. Dominion/Romulan starbase) before choosing whether to challenge additional enemy ships? Or do you challenge additional ships, and then reveal defenders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If I'm reading your question correctly, according to page 8, bottom of left column of the "Full Rulebook", you would need to challenge all multiple enemies first, then reveal hidden defenders.

I could be wrong, but that's how I interpret the rules.

1) Bottom of page 8, left column says that there's only one combat per turn. But if you face multiple enemies, you may choose to challenge them to fight in that [one] combat.

2) Then, the "Combat Sequence" in the center column of the same page instructs the player to reveal all hidden enemies as the very first step of combat.

But in order to begin the combat, you must have already identified the enemy(ies) you will be fighting for that combat.

Page 10 further illustrates how to fight multiple enemies as one combat. So again, if revealing all hidden enemies is the first step of combat, then you must've already identified your enemy "combatants" prior to that.

That's my take, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But, a literal interpretation of rules points to the opposite conclusion, i think:

p8 rules: "If you start a combat, [...] you may challenge [tokens] to join the fight"

So, first you "start a combat", then you "may challenge [tokens] to join the fight".

Ok, so what constitutes "starting a combat"?

p8 rules: "Combat starts by drawing and/or revealing all hidden enemies you have to fight." [Does not apply to tokens you challenge to join b/c enemy ships are never hidden]

So, according to formal semantics, reveal a hidden enemy first, then challenge nearby ships to join.

However, I am not sure whether this was actually intended this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.