Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been thinking about it, and the conflicts that I've wanted to make games around are largely those with seemingly impossible odds:

- The battle of Myeongyang With 13 ships defeating a fleet of hundreds of Japanese ships
- The Jeju uprising With the local population rising against Korean and American military rule

I love these, and hope to do something with them one day but something else has really tickled my fancy:

The great emu war. Two soldiers with machine guns against masses of large flightless birds.

Overview

I'm expecting the game to be:

- Solitaire (or two-player co-op)
- Probably hex and counter
- Quick playing
- Small footprint

It's very much in the idea phase at the moment though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Only reason I heard of that war is that it has come up a few times on bgg, but as far as I can remember no one has made a game for it yet, and there definitely should be one. Subscribing.

The Great Emu War of 1932

EDIT: Oh, that one actually does show a game prototype, but I do not think it has been published as a game (yet?)?

Item for Geeklist "Weird Little Wars That Really Should Be Games"

Why isn't this a published subject? The Emu War

EDIT: And this prototype:
Re: Why isn't this a published subject? The Emu War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great to see something on the subject. I'll have to check them out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
vialick wrote:

There is room in this hobby for multiple Great Emu War simulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
Personally I can see it playing out as more of an analogue version of Smash TV than a wargame, but I do wish you luck with this, Douglas.

Also, do keep the Myeongnyang idea on the backburner. There needs to be more games about Hideyoshi's Korean misadventure in general, and this is a fascinating part of it.

pete belli wrote:
There really ought to be a microbadge with this quote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
junkers wrote:
Also, do keep the Myeongnyang idea on the backburner. There needs to be more games about Hideyoshi's Korean misadventure in general, and this is a fascinating part of it.

Yes, it's definitely still taking up some mental energy. I had really hoped to do it for this contest, but that battle was so much about currents, terrain, etc, and it seemed like it would be very difficult to do well (having never made a wargame before, knowing very little about things involving water, etc).

Quote:
pete belli wrote:
There really ought to be a microbadge with this quote.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
vialick wrote:

Would there also be room for a simulation of the conflict from the emu perspective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
kurt_purcell wrote:
pete belli wrote:
vialick wrote:

Would there also be room for a simulation of the conflict from the emu perspective?

But of course!

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've been slowly clicking through this game in my head, here are a few ideas that probably make little to no sense.

- Emus scattering: Once a gun is fired, all emus in a particular range (or on board) will move erratically. When scattering emus encounter other emus, they cause them to scatter.

- Emus are invincible (or close to it). Perhaps each emu must be hit twice in a single turn to be killed?

- The guns seemed to jam up a lot. Perhaps you can shoot as much as you want in a turn, but the more you shoot, the more likely the gun is to jam (the less you shoot the more likely the birds are to escape).

- Firing sequence (idea that just came to me): declare how long you will be shooting and in what direction. For each period of time you check for jamming, roll for the shots, adjust the emu movement, then continue.

- The game will probably run as a campaign with each day being made up of individual short battles lasting until the gun jams or the emus escape. Embarrassment is what ultimately gets the plug pulled on the war, so it will continue until the government is too embarrassed to continue.

- I really need to look at the types of terrain that were involved in the war. Ideally I'd love to have some sort of modular set-up, you can use time to search for ideal terrain and get in position

- Time will be needed to fix things that jam or break.

So, that's pretty much what I can get out with words at the moment (I have a few ideas about using different sized sticks to represent emu movement, but can't really articulate them at the moment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Please take pity on your Aussie friends and be advised that emu is pronounced "eem-you".

Hearing "e-moo" is really, really annoying.

vialick wrote:
- Emus are invincible (or close to it). Perhaps each emu must be hit twice in a single turn to be killed?

An Emu is pretty much a bag of feathers on legs. Not terribly hardy.

What damage would they do? They are fast to peck with their beak, and it hurts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
Please take pity on your Aussie friends and be advised that emu is pronounced "eem-you".

As an Aussie, I certainly agree
Quote:
vialick wrote:

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think an emu managed to take out a truck during one battle (suicide mission though, it got stuck in the steering column). I wouldn't want to into an emu in a dark alleyway (certainly wouldn't want to run into it's prehistoric death-bird cousin, the cassowary...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vialick wrote:
Damjon wrote:

As an Aussie, I certainly agree
Quote:
vialick wrote:

Not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but I think an emu managed to take out a truck during one battle (suicide mission though, it got stuck in the steering column). I wouldn't want to into an emu in a dark alleyway (certainly wouldn't want to run into it's prehistoric death-bird cousin, the cassowary...)

Agreed . I once had to pick pieces out of a radiator grill. Not tasty.

On another occasion I was driving the middle vehicle of a convoy of three. An emu ran between me and the truck in front, got to the other side and then turned around and ran back between me and the car behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
vialick wrote:

One minute Emu War!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
kurt_purcell wrote:
pete belli wrote:
vialick wrote:

Definately...

"If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world... They can face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised we have got to post 16 without any puns about emus or Ostriches.

When I think of a game, battle or situation that might be related to the great emu war I can only think of Zulus attacking Rorkes Drift. An attacker that just keeps going and without any long range weapons against automatic weapons. But in a melee the odds are reversed. Certainly makes you think!

Aussie550 wrote:
They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop."

Oh beaten to it by just the odd half day or so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop."

As most of the mass of an emu is taken up by feathers, when a "hit" occurs there is a big chance it has just gone through the feathers and missed anything vital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
vialick wrote:
Certainly wouldn't want to run into it's prehistoric death-bird cousin, the cassowary...)

If there was an excessive population of cassowaries like the one used to justify the Emu War, Australia would no longer be inhabited by humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:

I didn't want to be flapping on with a bunch of bird puns, scrambling any chance for a serious conversation with some random gobbledygook, it would just ruffle everyone's feathers. Plus, once you start with bird puns, they all start to emu-late each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vialick wrote:
whatambush wrote:

I didn't want to be flapping on with a bunch of bird puns, scrambling any chance for a serious conversation with some random gobbledygook, it would just ruffle everyone's feathers. Plus, once you start with bird puns, they all start to emu-late each other.

Kill me now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you have a murder of emus, or is that word reserved for crows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Can you have a murder of emus, or is that word reserved for crows?

It's a MOB of Emus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do emus flock like (e.g.) starlings do? Might be interesting to have a lead emu that the others follow, and killing that emu could cause the flock to split (which is a good thing, maybe). Or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kerpob2 wrote:
Do emus flock like (e.g.) starlings do? Might be interesting to have a lead emu that the others follow, and killing that emu could cause the flock to split (which is a good thing, maybe). Or something.

I was curious and just looked it up. It appears that they don't really flock for any reason other than just that they gather where the food is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found a picture to put on the cover...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.