Smoke» Forums » Reviews

Subject: First Impressions - Smoke rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoke has an unusual or perhaps macabre theme and is somewhat of an anachronism in today's health conscious world. The goal is to smoke as many cigarettes as possible before succumbing to black lung disease.

The components and graphic design are fantastic. The box looks like a pack.
The box even has a warning I think attributed to one of the first anti-smoking proponents.
Inside the cards are in a foil wrapper and the rules kind of look like a matchbook. You also get several black lung tokens.

The cards have different numbers of cigarettes on them with the amount of first hand and second hand smoke from each card. Strength ties are broken by suites colors or for the color blind, the humorous little figures on the middle of the card.

some of the cards provide special abilities.

The game is for 3-4 players. Each player has an ashtray in front of them and a hand of 3 cards. Everyone simultaneously plays 1-3 cards from their hand. They may play cigarette cards along with special cards if they wish. Special cards are resolved. If no special cards are played then the player with most cigarettes on their cards is the "successful smoker" for the round and chooses on of the cards they played to keep in their ashtray for scoring. They also collect black lung tokens for any first hand smoke and all other players collect tokens for second hand smoke. The other players discard their cards. The special cards are in Japanese but small crib sheet at first is all that's necessary and the cards are really easy to remember what they do.

Then all players draw their hands back to 3 and the next round begins. When a player has 10 black lung points in tokens they are eliminated and no longer play. Once all the players but one have been eliminated each player counts the total number of cigarettes in their ashtray to determine the winner. In case of a tie the person who was eliminated first wins.

I like games with odd little themes and I love games with good graphic design. I'm not a smoker and routinely counsel people not to smoke but I still had fun with this game. It makes a quick filler and interesting conversation item. Even though it's a elimination game, the eliminated players can still win. It only takes about 15 min to play. If you are not offended by the theme I'd "Smoke if you've got 'em"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.