Subject: Zombicide:BP - Would ignoring Targeting Priority break the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
I'm really into board games as an expression of theme; their ability to tell a story through randomness and player choices. In my opinion, the targeting priority system for ranged attacks stands out as the one thing about Zombicide Black Plague that just seems to lack a thematic context. Melee attackers get to choose their targets, why should ranged attackers not have the same ability?

If we just trashed this rule, do you think it would make the game unreasonably easy?

Ignoring certain targets in favor of others would eventually catch up with the players later in the game when miniatures run out and the ignored targets gain extra activations, but would this be enough to sufficiently mitigate the change in difficulty that this rule change would inevitably create?

I'm looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts on this idea. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Parra
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IMHO target priority is one of the core mechanics of the game, and changing that will certainly turn off the balance heavily in favor of the survivors, in an already EASY game.

Moreover, there are a couple of skill that currently CAN do that, so maybe is a matter of choosing the apropriate survivors.

Once said that, ZC is a game that can be adapted to your and your gaming group liking, so if you all decide that's the way you want to play, nobody is going to stop you.

Plaese if you play this way, tell us how it goes.

best wishes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Its one of the most thematic parts of the game. Panicked civilians can whack a zombie of their choice with a club, I mean who couldnt? But if they wanna fire a projectile into a group of zombies 100 yards away, theres no chance they can exactly hit the one they want. You would never be able to do that in real life if zombieside was true. The zombies are bunched up, moving, and not close to you. Best mechanism in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play zombicide as a family we tweak it with the experience gained by the characters.
Blue you still basically hit a buddy first.
Yellow you hit buddy on 1-3 4+ is a zombie.
Orange/Red you hit who you want.
We feel it enhances play and reflects the characters nature and skill advancement in dire circumstances.plus my daughter will only play with this little add on as she has been very unlucky in the game , bit like if the victim chick in a horror film played this game type of 'unlucky'.
Try it it works surprisingly well as the zombie spawns increase to counter it.
Not tried it with Black Plague yet as game group and solo only so far and we are hardcore zombie smashers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
When we play zombicide as a family we tweak it with the experience gained by the characters.
Blue you still basically hit a buddy first.
Yellow you hit buddy on 1-3 4+ is a zombie.
Orange/Red you hit who you want.
We feel it enhances play and reflects the characters nature and skill advancement in dire circumstances.plus my daughter will only play with this little add on as she has been very unlucky in the game , bit like if the victim chick in a horror film played this game type of 'unlucky'.
Try it it works surprisingly well as the zombie spawns increase to counter it.
Not tried it with Black Plague yet as game group and solo only so far and we are hardcore zombie smashers.

BP default rules state you only hit a buddy if you miss. Solves part of the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
Enter Text Here
badge
[b][Vote :goo:][/b]
mbmbmbmbmb
It also makes melee weapons MUCH worse. Ranged weapons are statted based on that rule, for example the starter bow is a better weapon than the starter sword AND can attack 1 zone away. Making such a change will make survivors with melee skills weaker and survivors with skills like sniper or point blank shot weaker, while making other survivors with ranged or combat skills (dice, actions, and to hit) stronger. My experience is that those characters don't need help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the tactical challenges of Zombicide (both regular and BP) is dealing with targeting priority. Runners, Wolfz, and Necromancers cannot be killed until regular zombies and Fatties are dead first. Those forementioned enemies are also some of the most dangerous, and thus there is strategy in dealing with groups of enemies that include a mix, especially if those enemies are within their striking distance (or close to leaving, in the case of the Necromancer).

There is the Marksman skill which allows a Ranged user to ignore targeting priority and select their kills. Allowing everyone to do this by default, IMO, will really lessen the danger, complexity, and challenge of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty much of the same opinion as most of the rest. It really makes you think before you fire into a melee containing survivors. My friend and I played the other day, and he started to have Silas fire into a square where I was whacking away at zombies with Clovis. After the expected "Dude, what the heck?" whining by me, he reminded me that, not only does Silas get +1 pip on ranged dice (thus hitting on a 2+), but he got to reroll the dice once with his Plenty of Arrows. Of course, knowing his propensity for rolling 1's did nothing to ease my fear.

Point is, it made for a fun and tense moment, which I find to be right in line with the theme. Also, how thematic is it when your tank makes a heroic charge into a pack, just so he can tap that Necro in the head and keep him from escaping when you have six spawn points out there?

Keep the rule as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same situation, but with a plate mail-wearing Samson. Samson was aware the arrows were coming in, and he just trusted in the elf and his armor. I like the targeting rules as is (huge improvement over base game) and it does create thematic situations such as this (as well as improving the strategic complexity).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Timmermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a necromancer hiding in a group of zombies as his shield. We dedicated Silas' and Baldric's actions to remove the zombies and eventually kill the necromancer.

Were we able to allocate the targets, we'd just pick off the necro and fend off the oncoming horde with Samson and Clovis, who were walking zombie murdering machines at this point. It would've made the game far too easy IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
With Zombicide, you've got a game with plenty of room to make adjustments. You can do whatever you want, and still enjoy the game.

However, with that being said, the game is designed a certain way, and the rules that they've put into place are what makes up the balance of the game. As soon as you change a rule, you are likely making it easier/harder to play. Changing the targeting priority means the game will be easier, as you can pick what threat you want to take care of.

Runners being able to hide behind fattys and walkers are one of the things that make them so dangerous. If you could choose to target runners before walkers, they wouldn't be nearly as much of a threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.