Hide
4 Posts

Tragedy Looper: Cosmic Evil» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Prime Evil] Curses and Mob Incidents rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Bonner
msg tools
I think I've figured out how Curses work, but I'd like to get a second opinion. According to the rulebook, at the beginning of the Day End phase:

- For each Curse on a location, attach the Curse to a character on that location (characters may have more than one Curse).
- Simultaneously, for each Curse on a character, kill that character. Then, for each Curse on a corpse, move the Curse to the corpse's location.

1) Suppose a character with an attached Curse is in a location with a second Curse. Since the two Curse rules resolve simultaneously, I think the attached Curse kills the character and moves to the location, and the location Curse successfully attaches to the character. (At least, this is the interpretation that doesn't cause trouble with The Cursed Land.) But do both of the Curses then get moved to the location, or does the former location Curse stay attached to the corpse until the following day's Day End phase?

2) If the Alien resurrects that corpse the following day, is the resurrected person immediately killed again by the Curse that's still attached to them?

3) Since an Unkillable character can never become a corpse, if a Curse gets attached to one, does that mean the Curse is essentially out of play for the rest of the loop?

4) If the Illusion is removed from the board while she has an attached Curse, does the Curse vanish too?

And here's some questions about Mob Incidents:

5) If a goodwill ability that reveals roles culprits is used on a mob incident, does it reveal the incident's location?

6) In the wildly unlikely event that the protagonists think it's a good idea, what happens if the AI's goodwill ability is used on a mob incident? Since normal incidents are treated as if the AI is the culprit, I'm thinking the mob incident should happen in the City, but maybe it just can't be targeted since it requires a location as a culprit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
1) The curse rules would be a lot more clear if instead of insisting they be simultaneous they had just gone with a linear order:

1. Kill everyone with a curse.
2. Curses on locations attach to characters.
3. Curses on corpses return to locations.

This would have the same effect as the printed rules most of the time, but make corner cases like the one you're asking about much more clear. I think you're right that if they're resolved simultaneously one curse ends up stuck on the corpse for a day. If that's intentional, it's probably why they made them simultaneous?

2) If the Alien resurrects a corpse that has a curse attached, that character will be killed by the curse at day end, since it still has the curse attached to it.

3) Yes -- unless, of course, the unkillable character is the Show-Off and becomes more killable.

4) Yes. The real question is whether the curse will then kill her at the end of the day, leaving her corpse in the void beyond the board. My inclination is no -- things that are off the board are removed from the game and just don't do anything.

5) Assuming you mean that reveals culprits, like Police Officer, I would assume so? The rules say "The culprit is the mob in this location", so Godly Being would reveal the culprit as "The mob in the School."

6) The mob incidents are all written so that it makes sense for the AI to resolve them. Reading the tragedy set before reading the rulebook, I didn't even realize they didn't have characters as culprits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bonner
msg tools
1) That would be clearer, but it does mean that for The Cursed Land, the mastermind will win unless every location with a curse contains a person with no curse attached, so the loss condition would become stronger. I'm not really sure how much stronger, but having out-of-phase curses doesn't seem like it would be that rare if you're using incidents to spawn them.

5) I did mean culprits, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bonner
msg tools
The Japanese summary sheet for Prime Evil has been posted on BakaFire's site, so here's what it has to say about curses:

Haunted Stage Again wrote:
During the Day End phase of each day (before resolving any other rules), do one of the following.

If the curse is set on a location:
Attach the curse to a character (of the mastermind's choice) in that location.

If the curse is attached to a card:
If the card is alive, kill it. Then, regardless of whether the card is alive or dead, detach the curse and move it to the card's location.

It unfortunately doesn't say anything about the out-of-phase case, so that's still fuzzy, but it does clear up what happens to curses on Unkillable characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.