Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The common strat seems to be spread your ships all over and try to get +2VP per hex.

It just doesnt seem very thematic.

- What if each ship at the end of the game counted as 1 population for final scoring on any planet that you have at least 1 population. Then at least ships would be going to strategic areas.

Another oddity on the last turn is that if 3+ players go to the middle with big fleets...whoever wins that battles will win the game. Getting points for another 2 or 3 large fleets all at once should surely win that player the game. Course if you go there and no one shows up to fight...you may have just lost the game. It doesnt feel like a chess match to me. More of a blind guess.

- What if players actually got VPs for the ships they killed, not just the winner. I realize that might give an advantage to the low turn order player since they place damage first. Or winner could score as normal and killing a ship is with 1 VP for the losers.

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From time to time people have brought up the idea for a different scoring system for combat. But more often than not, it creates other (and bigger) imbalances. The current system is fair and, if you think about it, having the winner of the combat take all VPs is actually quite thematic. When you look at VP as fame or influence, he's the guy who got away, the one with tales to tell!

As for the last turn ... I agree that the last turn (and, in fact, the game as a whole) is a matter of either:
- domination
- annihilation

The factions are at war with each other. The only way you can determine who is the strongest is to judge their control (over both planets and space), or have one faction simply eliminate the competition. I agree that the two most common outcomes are either that players spread out, or they end the game in a massive combat. But that's what I've spent the whole game working towards anyway! It's the culmination, the final test of strength (or influence).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I will say I am excited to play the expansion (which I own but we played the base game once first to get the feel).

Im sure that using the turn order movement system combined with pinning system will drastically change the feel of the last turn ship scramble.

And the races look awesome.

I also plan to use colored poker ships for resources since it was so easy to bump your CPs. One players beard kept moving his resrouces around!
And the squares are SO close together you couldnt even really use a plastic holder template like you often see for Eclipse.

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:
Im sure that using the turn order movement system combined with pinning system will drastically change the feel of the last turn ship scramble.

Yes, the Drive Power Movement system is fantastic! I'm never looking back

CptBlood wrote:
And the races look awesome.

They truly are! The expansion makes everything about the game better.

CptBlood wrote:
I also plan to use colored poker ships for resources since its want to easy to bump your CPs. One players beard kept moving his resrouces around! And the squares are SO close together you couldnt even really use a plastic holder template like you often see for Eclipse.

Yeah, it's an interesting conundrum ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last round can get silly, in my games I usually see everyone just build up a massive fleet for the turn or two prior in anticipation for massive battles on the last round. You have to be smart about it though. I remember my last game, I had big plans for shooting for the middle, and attacking another player but the odds weren't in my favor so I choose to just spread out instead.

I do think that the expansion helps with this in multiple ways. For example one faction has ships that can basically teleport all around the map, so he's great at picking off small ships planning to just get free VP for hex dominance. Another can stealth and drop commando troops, so people have to worry about losing their planets. Some of the other races are far more concerned with getting VP through other means like research.

FYI, you don't need to wait for the expansion to use the updated move system, I do feel like it's more dynamic, you have more opportunities to react. If you start heading towards the middle and you see everyone else heading there, you have an opportunity to change your mind after surveying the odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it kind of feels a let down I will agree. But all 4X games feel a bit spent at the latter stages of the game most of the time. I think most of us enjoy building up our fleets for the final showdown more than the actual showdown itself. I quite like the area control side of the game as it promotes your ships to move around more throughout the game dropping off cubes as you go which in turn promotes more battles each round if you all know what you are doing (which in turn nullifies the points in the end game if people have been winning loads of battles).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.