Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking through the fluff and I haven't found it yet.

What does the soft focus lens do? Not mechanically, but thematically?

Cookie can stun because of Sway, which I'm assuming must be some sort of psychic training.

But the soft focus lens seems to be a joke about her movie background. Maybe?

Not a huge thing but it's bugging me, because everyone else's powers and gear make sense together.

Headset, radio, med kit. And then a camera? That helps stun?

I'm open to suggestion here. Is there a joke I'm missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yup, pretty much... though you were right on the edge of it.

It's a cinematic joke. The "trick" of affecting the viewers emotional state by using a softer, blurrier focus (as for romantic scenes, or scenes where the audience was supposed to be "touched") was very popular in the sixties and seventies.

The crazy thing is, it works. It's largely out of fashion now, but you will still see it used in comedy films that make a point of mocking themselves.

Cookie's deep sincerity and inherent beauty-of-the-soul wins over even the slimies and the shellies... cue string music, and soften that focus...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:

Yup, pretty much... though you were right on the edge of it.

It's a cinematic joke. The "trick" of affecting the viewers emotional state by using a softer, blurrier focus (as for romantic scenes, or scenes where the audience was supposed to be "touched") was very popular in the sixties and seventies.

The crazy thing is, it works. It's largely out of fashion now, but you will still see it used in comedy films that make a point of mocking themselves.

Cookie's deep sincerity and inherent beauty-of-the-soul wins over even the slimies and the shellies... cue string music, and soften that focus...

Well that explains the joke! Thanks, I've learned something!

I guess I'm just left thinking, "well, it doesn't really work here."

I see the joke(now), I get the reference(now), but are we supposed to believe Cookie stuns aliens by showing them a camera that could take her picture?

When everyone else has something that fits theme and also makes sense in the game world, it makes Cookie's power stand out.

There's a great 1950's-60's sci-fi theme going on. Everyone has an on theme back story and reason to be there, so Cookie's power sticks out like a sore thumb.

I've had this game for two days now, played a bunch of it, really like it and think it's generally well designed. Hence, why this theme thing with Cookie is throwing me so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, using the Soft Focus Lens always makes me think of Uhura's dance in Star Trek V, even though that was filmed at least a couple decades later...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you watch the original Starr Trek, almost all of the women - especially in close-ups - were filmed soft focus. And that includes Yeomabn Janice Rand. SC:AM is great for Sci-Fi in-jokes, especially Star Trek TOS. For example, if you wan to know the origin of the Tantalus Projector, watch the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
If you watch the original Starr Trek, almost all of the women - especially in close-ups - were filmed soft focus. And that includes Yeomabn Janice Rand. SC:AM is great for Sci-Fi in-jokes, especially Star Trek TOS. For example, if you wan to know the origin of the Tantalus Projector, watch the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror".

Ah! More interesting still.

Cool in-joke, I just wish it had been more logically implemented. Having a soft focus lense isn't going to help anyone!

But clearly I'm overthinking it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was privy to the joke, but I sort of thought (based on the card art which doesn't look like a camera to me) that the actual device was a stun-ray that had been nicknamed soft-focus-lens by the snarky scientists who built it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jacobs
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I was privy to the joke, but I sort of thought (based on the card art which doesn't look like a camera to me) that the actual device was a stun-ray that had been nicknamed soft-focus-lens by the snarky scientists who built it.

Boom! Fixed! Thanks, that makes perfect sense and fits the skin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:

It's like a shotgun instead of a rifle--sprays the area with rays instead of shooting a focused beam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:

The lens projects Cookie's power to Sway the aliens at a distance. Without the lens amplifying her talents, her technique would be much less effective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.