Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a 2-player game that's medium to heavy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Blurr
msg tools
Wife and I have played lots of games. We are looking for something that's quick to setup or even fun enough to leave setup I suppose. We like Arcadia Quest, but it's really for 3+ players. We were playing Pathfinder and liked it.

I've heard Summoner Wars and Mage Wars are fun. Is there anything else that's best played with 2 players?

I can say that anything very euro with worker placement isn't what we are looking for. Something more action and strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is pretty fun, and action and strategy are both present. I don't know if the set up is fast, as I've only played the app. I would definitely recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an avid Magic: The Gathering player. We like Mage Wars Arena but I don't find the time to deckbuild however, so for now we just play with the suggested decklists.

If you're into The Lord of the Rings storyline/universe, I would highly recommend The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. It's a cooperative game however and it has a rather steep learning curve, but the videos from Watch it Played do a great job.

There are a lot of games out there that are specifically designed for 2 players. some of the most popular titles:
7 Wonders Duel
Targi
Jambo
Morels
Omen: A Reign of War

Good luck and game on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will second the recommendation for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game. I play it solo, but it is best with two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you don't mind conflict.

BattleLore (Second Edition)

It's not a quick setup but setup is part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
It's not quick to setup, but Robinson Crusoe is a good one. And one you can play solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onitama, A Few Acres of Snow.

+1 for Summoner Wars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I often look for and play the same type of games.

We love Twlight Struggle - it's long, but not really "heavy" IMO 120 min once you know how to play.

Shorter, "13 days" is same type of game but much less of an investment of time and mental abilities. 30-45 min

"Traders of Osaka" FANTASTIC as a 2-player game (probably best) Not too light, but not ultra-heavy. 30-45 min depending on AP prone players.

We like Puerto Rico as a 2-player game actiually. 30 min

Caverna plays excellent as a 2-player game. 30-45 min as a 2 player game

Vampire Empire: Excellent 2-player only asymmetrical card game.

The Duke: A lot like chess, but shorter play time and much more fun (if you dislike chess for it's stale nature)

Battle Line: A simple 2-player card game that can really be thinky and deep with the right players. Does well with repeated plays. I think it's been reprinted by iello

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mb
The Ares Project

Excellent 2 player game for 2 dedicated players and repeated plays. Setup is quick, is great fun, and simulates a real time strategy computer game (but no actual real time elements). lots of viable strategies with each of 4 factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror plays really well at 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
King & Assassins in which one player is the king and his knights trying to arrest, or kill the assassins. The other player is the assassins hidden among the townsfolk attempting to kill the king.

2 de Mayo is an asymmetrical Area Control game fought between the Spanish, and French in the time of Napoleon.

Drako is an asymmetrical card driven fighting game. One player is a dragon, the other controls three dwarves who are trying to kill it.

Sun Tzu is another area control game with interesting card play. Players are vying for five provinces of China. You really need to try to get into your opponent's head in this one.

Yomi which uses a paper-rock-scissors mechanic, and styles itself after the old Street Fighter, or Mortal Kombat type video games.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation takes the familiar Stratigo mechanics, adds the Lord of the Rings theme, and a few neat twists with card play.

BattleLore (Second Edition) is a fun tactical war game with a fantasy theme.

Mr. Jack is a deduction game, where one player is Jack the Ripper trying to escape, while the other player is the detective attempting to figure out Jack's identity and apprehend him.

Onitama is an Abstract Strategy game. Think, chess, but quick, easy, and fun.

These are all great games.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipyard works great with 2, 3 and 4 players. Not a lot of interaction, but really nice, thematic euro game where you have to optimize your every move. But don't worry - this game can forgive some mistakes. At least minor ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our favourite for two is Mage Knight.
Alchemists is also really fun at two.

Both are medium-heavyNeither has particularly quick set-up time though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.