Subject: looking for a game with solo-option rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
hey there,

im kinda new to collecting boardgames.
since im moving to a new city i thought about buying a new game with a solid 1 player possibility.

i have a friend to play with on some weekends, so it would be nice to have a valuable 2 player option as well.

it would be nice, if there are games available, to buy a game that supports 1-4 players. meaning i dont want a pure 2 player game (except there is a really good one available)

i do have some games on my wishlist, but im not sure anyone of those will fit my needs.

so what do i like?
*game where you actually use your brain
*i dont enjoy (almost) pure luck games
*i appreciate a thematic environment
*replayable value
*open to all kind of games
*i like details and beautiful games

i hope some of you guys can recommend me something (preferably german version available - in case i will play it with family)

thanks alot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola (revised edition)
Glass Road
Nations

All of these are for 1-4 players and will give you plenty to think about while playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Explorers of the North Sea

Playable 1-4 players, thematic, great artwork.

The Kickstarter games have just been shipped, but I'd guess you can buy it online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games I have played, I would recommend Imperial Settlers / 51st State (largely the same game system) or At the Gates of Loyang (if you can get it) as games that play very well 2 player and solo and can also be played with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dark Dealings but go to the forums to find the official solo variant, which is a lot less luck-driven than the one provided in the rules.

Sentinels of the Multiverse. Just play all the characters!

Aeon's End. Either play several character, or go real solo and play just one! Although this is a deckbuilder, there is no shuffling at all so it is more strategic than luck-based.

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game but the solo variant is very, very light.

Hero Realms but you'll need the expansions and it's out next year only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2015 People's Choice Top 100 Solo Games

Solitaire Games On Your Table - August

Above are two good lists that can show you a number of solo games people are currently playing and enjoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add on to thew what Drew said - the Solitaire Games on your Table geeklist is a fantastic place to learn more about solo gaming.

If you don't mind some complexity, you should definitely check out Mage Knight Board Game. It hits almost every single one of your preferences, and is a favorite among gamers on the SGoYT list, and doe shave a German version. There is a new version int he Star Trek universe, but I'm not sure there is a German version. Star Trek: Frontiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
thanks alot guys for the quick responses, i will go thorugh all of it and let you guys know (:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can really recommend: Mage Knight Board Game!

It's really good with 2 Players. The game really shines as a solo game. There is a new German Version (2015) from Asmodee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Guigue
msg tools
mb
add to that eldritch horror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ggdabuh wrote:
add to that eldritch horror

+1 for Eldritch Horror. There is some luck because of the dice, but you can mitigate the luck with reroll tokens and special abilities from items and weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
elias koskoris
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mb
xcom and Mage Knight! just fantastic thematic environment and replayable value
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Netherlands
Rijswijk
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would definitely recommend Mage Knight Board Game. It took me a while to get it, but it's absolutely amazing, and we seem to have similar gaming needs. There isn't any other game that provides such a deep, satisfying, and thematic solo experience. Luck is minimal, though there is a good amount of randomness in setup and card draws so that replay value is very high. The game has some nice artwork on the cards but you'll have to look past some of the subpar components, iconography and backstory. I like it co-op with another player as well, if you're into that.

edit: I notice you have Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island on your wishlist as well, another great game! More beautiful than Mage Knight and with a bit more luck. You'll also have a bit less freedom (the game basically forces you to deal with bad things happening) but this pressure can be nice. It has a lot of replay value as well, mainly because of its many different scenarios.

edit: Here's an advanced search for all games that play solo, with a complexity level of at least 2.5, ranked: click
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing really comes close to Mage Knight Board Game when it comes to playing solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barnetto wrote:
Of the games I have played, I would recommend Imperial Settlers / 51st State (largely the same game system) or At the Gates of Loyang (if you can get it) as games that play very well 2 player and solo and can also be played with more.

+1 51st State: Master Set
+1 At the Gates of Loyang (though I think this is still OOP at the moment)

Both of these are my go-tos right now. They are fast to setup/tear down and easy to learn.
(Hint: For At the Gates of Loyang, I have player starting item baggies with the $$, goods, tokens, and cards that each player starts with. This really reduces the setup time.)

I also enjoy Mage Knight Board Game and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island but I don't go for them as often because setup/tear down takes a long time and the rule sets are very time consuming to learn/refresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some great recommendations so far, I'd add Automa games like Viticulture Essential Edition and Scythe.

Additionally, I really enjoy Agents of SMERSH, Baseball Highlights: 2045, Imperial Settlers and La Granja. They all offer unique gameplay and play well at both 1 and 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My three favourites:
Snowdonia - excellent worker placement with some very interesting mechanisms that make the solo variant seem very much like the multi-player.

Glass Road - really interesting action selection game with clever engine building and resource management/production.

Lewis & Clark - terrific hand management/worker placement race game. Very thinky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I would recommend Viticulture Essential Edition if the OP doesn't like luck. Card draws in that game can be really haphazard from my experience. It ends up being a lot more reactive strategy than proactive. If the OP doesn't mind that though then go for it. It is a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Fleet Commander: Nimitz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
1970 Plymouth Valiant Duster 340
mbmbmbmbmb

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) + Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion together are a good option, so you can play this game with 1-4 players. Easy to learn and teach, with top notch component quality. A small-scale tactical game with lots of options to reduce or mitigate the luck factor, highly recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think there's a fundamental conflict between good solo and good with larger groups. You need enough meat on the bone to make up for the lack of other players, but that meat drags in a bigger group. That's why Mage Knight is great at 1 or 2, and painful at 4.

In addition to some of the other games people have listed, I'd definitely check out Uwe Rosenberg's Fields of Arle (if you can find it) or the new Feast of Odin. Tons of replayability. People speak highly of Rosenberg's other heavy games for solo play too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
well first of all - thanks for the input.

i got through your recommendations and found myself noticing that i dont want to go with some "economic building game". id rather like to play a new genre with a different darker theme (f.e. eldritch horror).

i did like a few of your choices, but some of them are hard to get in germany (dark dealings, mage knight). i cant really spend like 100€ for a game which i havent played yet.

right now i would love to try mage knight if it would be available around 50€ or less. thus i might go for robinson crusoe or eldritch horror (i like the fact, that there are lots of expansions available).

but before i decide i will have a look into the threads Drew posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe is great (and already has an expansion). It is a cooperative game like the below mentioned games and plays well solo.
The rules are somewhat heavy, I recommend to watch the excellent video series of Ricky Royal.
The game has several rather different scenarios and there are always random elements created during setup so that you get a highly replayable game.

Eldritch Horror is also fantastic. If you like games with expansions, you should also take a look at Arkham Horror which is the spiritual predecessor of EH and has even more expansions.
Both games are cooperative games and can easily played solo (though "easily" only if you manage to learn the rules ). I recommend to watch some videos (by Ricky Royal or Catweazle for example) to get a feeling for how the games play.

Both AH and EH are set in H. P. Lovecraft's universe where the player has to deal with the horrible Ancient Ones, unfathomable beings of cosmic origins, that threaten to destroy the world if they ever awake.
AH only plays in the streets of Arkham (and some other cities in the expansions) and other-world locations, whereas the players in EH travel the world to uncover the mysteries that might help them in their task.
The games are quite different, AH gives a claustrophobic feeling in the streets of Arkham, while EH is more of an Indiana Jones like adventure all over the world.

If you decide for Eldritch Horror, be prepared to buy at least one small expansion (Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore) to get more cards, which the core game lacks in places. Also, Eldritch Horror: Strange Remnants or Eldritch Horror: Mountains of Madness would be a good choice because of the newly introduced "focus" game mechanism.

At last another suggestion:
Pandemic: The Cure is a cooperative game (the dice version of Pandemic, another game with expansions ) with fairly easy rules and some amount of randomness which results in a gameplay rich in variety for 1 - 7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games that come to my mind off the top...

K2 which is a game about climbing the mountain. There is a solo variant in the rules.

Imperial Settlers is a light civilization building game. This too has solo rules that come with it.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game is an alien invasion game, where players are the aliens. This game has four play modes: competitive, co-operative, semi-cooperative, and solitaire.

SOS Titanic which is a game that borrows heavily from Patience. Except the cards you are lining up are passengers trying to escape the sinking ship.

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game is a game that has a very Aliens (as in the movie) feel to it. You are taking a team of space marines onto a ship to accomplish some objective. All the while having to stave off waves of alien baddies.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.