Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscription Geeklist with links to past months: War Movies Monthly Discussion - Subscription Geeklist

As usual, here are four war movie picks from this month's TCM schedule - this month's features make it a little tougher to find picks, especially early in the month; two days of each week are a slapstick film festival (not a bad thing, some great films included), so the schedule is very heavy with comedies. Gene Hackman being star of the month gives me some choices, however. Some big hitters I’ve skipped – A Bridge Too Far, Seven Days in May, Sergeant York.

All times US Eastern.

Sept 12, 1:15 am – Hail the Conquering Hero (1944) I'll nod to TCM's heavy comedy rotation with this one - a great WWII comedy from Preston Sturges.
Sept 20, 6 pm – Operation Crossbow (1965) George Peppard and company are off to destroy the underground V-2 factory. Supposed to be pretty good.
Sept 22, 1:30 pm – Five Graves to Cairo (1943) Interesting mishmash on this one - early Billy Wilder effort; stars Franchot Tone (I've been listening to the 'You Must Remember This' Hollywood history podcast, which featured Tone last week); and it has Erich von Stroheim playing Rommel. Might just record and give a quick scan through this one for interesting scenes.
Sept 30, 4:45 am – Bat 21 (1988) Gene Hackman, shot down in VC territory. Based on a true story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
Sept 30, 4:45 am – Bat 21 (1988) Gene Hackman, shot down in VC territory. Based on a true story.

Saw this one in theatres... Co-stars Danny Glover before he went Bat Crazy... Enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Operation Crossbow seems to stick in my mind for two main reasons (the second is a spoiler so I won't give details): the testing of the V1s by the female German test pilot and the fate of Sophia Loren's character. It's quite a dark and complex movie and definitely worth a watch.
Five Graves to Cairo I always think of as a poor relation to two very fine desert war movies, Sea of Sand and Ice Cold in Alex. But I perhaps ought to give it another go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:

All times US Eastern.

Sept 1, 1:15 am – Hail the Conquering Hero (1944) I'll nod to TCM's heavy comedy rotation with this one - a great WWII comedy from Preston Sturges.

Just set my DVR and this is on Sept 2 at 1:15am, not the 1st. A first I thought it was changed from a printed schedule because on 9/1 they are doing a preemptive Gene Wilder tribute block, but those have not been added to my DVR schedule yet. (OT: Gene Wilder tribute is September 29, not the 1st)

Sept 1 at 2:30 am is "At War With the Army" with Martin and Lewis however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scott
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:
Operation Crossbow seems to stick in my mind for two main reasons (the second is a spoiler so I won't give details): the testing of the V1s by the female German test pilot and the fate of Sophia Loren's character. It's quite a dark and complex movie and definitely worth a watch.
Five Graves to Cairo I always think of as a poor relation to two very fine desert war movies, Sea of Sand and Ice Cold in Alex. But I perhaps ought to give it another go.

Another thumbs up for Operation Crossbow, which is a very good movie and definitely worth a watch. (Also, several thumbs up for Ice Cold in Alex, which unfortunately is not on this month but is a great and not very well known war movie.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
scottgillispie wrote:

All times US Eastern.

Sept 1, 1:15 am – Hail the Conquering Hero (1944) I'll nod to TCM's heavy comedy rotation with this one - a great WWII comedy from Preston Sturges.

Just set my DVR and this is on Sept 2 at 1:15am, not the 1st. A first I thought it was changed from a printed schedule because on 9/1 they are doing a preemptive Gene Wilder tribute block, but those have not been added to my DVR schedule yet.

Sept 1 at 2:30 am is "At War With the Army" with Martin and Lewis however.

Thanks Kevin - you know how TV schedules don't change the date until 4 am or so...will correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bnscott wrote:

Another thumbs up for Operation Crossbow, which is a very good movie and definitely worth a watch. (Also, several thumbs up for Ice Cold in Alex, which unfortunately is not on this month but is a great and not very well known war movie.)

Just went looking for Ice Cold in Alex in the TCM database - it's listed under the US title Desert Attack - in the US, it trimmed 54 minutes off the run time. Doesn't seem to be on the TCM rotation - they don't even link it to John Mills who is top billed; so might be one to write in and request.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/557216/Desert-Attack/

Both Mills and Anthony Quayle from Ice Cold in Alex are in Operation Crossbow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
Sept 12, 1:15 am – Hail the Conquering Hero (1944) I'll nod to TCM's heavy comedy rotation with this one - a great WWII comedy from Preston Sturges.

Good period comedy with Eddie Bracken as the son of a World War I hero who is discharged from the Marine Corps for chronic hayfever, and struggles with the let down and humiliation he expects to find in his hometown. But leave it to a handful of Marines on leave -- one of whom is a WW1 buddy of Bracken's late hero dad -- to come to his aid by staging a war hero's welcome -- which naturally gets out of hand.

This is a good companion 'American home front' movie to Since You Went Away and Tender Comrade.

Quote:
Sept 20, 6 pm – Operation Crossbow (1965) George Peppard and company are off to destroy the underground V-2 factory. Supposed to be pretty good.

I first saw this on the big screen in the mid-'60s. It's an excellent adventure film about German-speaking Allied agents posing as European scientists and engineers to infiltrate and sabotage the Nazi rocket program. A solid '60s cast. At the time of its release, it straddled both the epic WW2 film and spy film crazes, not unlike 36 Hours. Well worth a viewing.

Quote:
Sept 22, 1:30 pm – Five Graves to Cairo (1943) Interesting mishmash on this one - early Billy Wilder effort; stars Franchot Tone (I've been listening to the 'You Must Remember This' Hollywood history podcast, which featured Tone last week); and it has Erich von Stroheim playing Rommel. Might just record and give a quick scan through this one for interesting scenes.

I've always liked this movie since I first saw it on TV as a kid. Tone plays a British soldier separated from his retreating unit, and posing as a mute waiter in a Libyan hotel in which Rommel has set up his headquarters. The title eludes to a fanciful explanation (uncovered by Tone and his French female accomplice, played by Anne Baxter) as to how Rommel (still much feared and respected when the script was written) was able to stage such spectacular offensives in North Africa. If you're a fan of the war films made during WW2, this is a must see.

Quote:

A very well done Vietnam war film. Well worth a viewing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
bnscott wrote:

Just went looking for Ice Cold in Alex in the TCM database - it's listed under the US title Desert Attack - in the US, it trimmed 54 minutes off the run time. Doesn't seem to be on the TCM rotation - they don't even link it to John Mills who is top billed; so might be one to write in and request.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/557216/Desert-Attack/

Both Mills and Anthony Quayle from Ice Cold in Alex are in Operation Crossbow.

This astonishes me on a number of points. The original running time of ICIA was 138 mins, trimmed to 130 "following censorship" - whatever that means - and as rightly stated in the US known as Desert Attack and trimmed to 76 mins!!!!
In the UK it is recognised as one of the great war movies with an excellent cast (Harry Andrews and Sylvia Sims) as well as the two mentioned. The scene in the bar with the ice cold lagers was so iconic it featured in a Carlsberg lager advert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pulled my dvd of 5 Graves off the shelf. I had forgotten completely the brilliant opening sequence with the "ghostly" M3 Lee/Grant tank moving through the sand dunes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently watched 9.April.

The Danish army seemed highly disciplined [men referred to by their battalion number, a bit like ZULU! with 'Owen 2843'], and firmly wedded to cycle transport. The Madsen 20mm on motorcycle sidecar liked by Curt Schilling in Doomed Battalions: ASL Module 11 makes an appearance. As usual you realise what a very good rifle was the Lee Enfield, compared to foreign muck. Essentially there's a preamble and the equivalent of a string of small ASL scenarios before the government caves in, hence the title, but it is very well made with an eye to museum-level accuracy. And most of it seems to be on YouTube, but I'd watch the whole thing and not spoil it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
Recently watched 9.April.

The Danish army seemed highly disciplined [men referred to by their battalion number, a bit like ZULU! with 'Owen 2843'], and firmly wedded to cycle transport. The Madsen 20mm on motorcycle sidecar like by Curt Schilling in Doomed Battalions: ASL Module 11 makes an appearance. As usual you realise what a very good rifle was the Lee Enfield, compared to foreign muck. Essentially there's a preamble and the equivelant of a string of small ASL scenarios before the government caves in, hence the title, but it is very well made with an eye to museum-level accuracy. And most of it seems to be on YouTube, but I'd watch the whole thing and not spoil it.

Yes, I enjoyed 9th april although I keep getting scenes from it confused in my mind with the film Tajemnica Westerplatte. I can't help feeling that had the events occurred a couple of years later in the war the Germans would have shot them out of hand at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:
I can't help feeling that had the events occurred a couple of years later in the war the Germans would have shot them out of hand at the end.

I'm reminded of Spitfire ace Stanford Tuck being shot down by a flak lorry, which he found in front of his guns as he was landing, and thereby demolished, coming to rest next to it. As his captors approached, he lit a cigarette and nonchalantly stretched his other arm out across all the black crosses painted on the side of his aircraft...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
winheath wrote:
I can't help feeling that had the events occurred a couple of years later in the war the Germans would have shot them out of hand at the end.

I'm reminded of Spitfire ace Stanford Tuck being shot down by a flak lorry, which he found in front of his guns as he was landing, and thereby demolished, coming to rest next to it. As his captors approached, he lit a cigarette and nonchalantly stretched his other arm out across all the black crosses painted on the side of his aircraft...

Yes. I'm sure I read somewhere that one of his shells had actually gone down the German gun's barrel and the Germans were so impressed they had a good laugh about it. The fortunes of war, eh? By the way, odd to say but Ice Cold is showing this morning on the More4 channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.