9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: language independent horror themed games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sal A.
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
Sadly, most of the people in my modest gaming group don't speak english very well.

And most of us really love horror themed stuff.
I was thinking of buying Eldritch Horror and just be the GM myself and explain everything.
but i was also thinking what other language independent horror themed games are there?
I heard that Dark Darker Darker is language independent but the rules are extremely complicated and the reviews are saying that its really bad.
Help ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Horror comes to mind. It's the 7 Wonders equivalent horror game. Same designer in fact. The game is completely icon driven except for the rules themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ath3ist wrote:
City of Horror comes to mind. It's the 7 Wonders equivalent horror game. Same designer in fact. The game is completely icon driven except for the rules themselves.

FWIW:
7 Wonders is designed by Antoine Bauza, but according to BGG
City of Horror is designed by Nicolas Normandon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not totally language independent, but you should have no problem with Witch of Salem. Some cards contain text, but they are all revealed and resolved immediately, so that one player can read them for the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you could try the symbol route and play dice based games like Run, Fight, or Die! , Elder Sign and even Zombie Dice.

Ghost Stories is more mechanically mathy and very hard , they will not like the guy that brings this one.
Pleasant Dreams could work but it is a 1-2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
ath3ist wrote:

FWIW:
7 Wonders is designed by Antoine Bauza, but according to BGG
City of Horror is designed by Nicolas Normandon.

IW a lot, thanks. Yeah for some reason I had it stuck in my head that he had something to do with that. Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice as it's just dice rolling.

Not necessarily "horror" (though it is horrific) but Letters from Whitechapel is pretty much language independent, particularly if you are using just the base game with no optional materials, which aren't even needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fearsome Floors is fun. It's fairly light, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal A.
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
thanks everyone for the recommendations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.