Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyger mom
United States
Forest Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were playing a four player game on the first introductory story, and we became really confused about how quickly we lost. We cannot let the monsters ( Gors ) into the castle not even one in a four player game, but the story releases one on space 15 next to the castle, and even with full power and time spaces it would be impossible to defeat him. What are we doing wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tygermom wrote:
We were playing a four player game on the first introductory story, and we became really confused about how quickly we lost. We cannot let the monsters ( Gors ) into the castle not even one in a four player game, but the story releases one on space 15 next to the castle, and even with full power and time spaces it would be impossible to defeat him. What are we doing wrong?

Hard to say without knowing what you did. What do you mean by impossible to defeat?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter vP
msg tools
mbmbmb
Tygermom wrote:

I'm pretty sure that in a four player game you can let one monster in without losing. Only when all shields are filled will you lose if any additional monster has to be placed.

A single Gor should be able to be defeated, you can keep fighting by spending additional time and the Gor will not regain health in that scenario. He only regains full health if you stop fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Pe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 4 player game you've got one golden shield so you can let one monster reach the castle and occupie this golden shield.
Only when a second monster will enter the castle, you will lose the game.

Or in general: Every golden shield can carry one monster. If a monster reach the castle and there is no free golden shield available, you will lose.

While playing Legends of Andor it's hard to decide which monster you have to defeat and which ones you can let go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please describe a combat round according to your understanding. If you believe it is impossible to defeat a gor than you are most definately doing something wrong. The first scenario is almost impossible to lose if you play by the rules and spot the path to victory at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyger mom
United States
Forest Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone.

So we were playing through our first game with 4 players. When we got to Legend Card D for the intro it said to put a Gor on space 15 which would put him in the castle on the next turn. Because we are new to the game we all tried to attack Gor's on our first turn by ourselves. This was obviously a bad choice. However, when we realized the Gor would enter the castle we thought we would lose. But I now I understand that we should perhaps go and get more items and then fight together to defeat the Gor's. But this would still allow one to enter the castle which seems very strange. Also, when exactly does the day reset? Thank you so much for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
You normally should be able to defeat a Gor with two of your heroes without equipment. (Afair you are even not allowed to buy any equipment other then strength in the first legend.)

The day ends, after everybody went to sleep. This is always, after each hero has used up 7 to 10 hours. Nobody can "work" a 11th hour, but heroes can choose individually, how much "over time" they do. Also, adventuring is not necessarily in sync for all the heroes. One might run all day and use up the given hours at once, therefore being the first in the "sunrise box" and on top of the rooster (making him starting player for the next day), somebody else fights a monster for 2 hours, goes two spaces for two hours, then fights the next one, therefore ending the day much later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tygermom wrote:
When we got to Legend Card D for the intro it said to put a Gor on space 15 which would put him in the castle on the next turn.

Space 15 is not adjacent to the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyger mom
United States
Forest Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Tygermom wrote:
When we got to Legend Card D for the intro it said to put a Gor on space 15 which would put him in the castle on the next turn.

Space 15 is not adjacent to the castle.

Space 15 is adjacent to space 7 we thought that space 7 was the castle, but now I see that space 0 is the castle. Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Mahr
Austria
flag msg tools
Life Ain't No Zombiefarm
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 0 is the castle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tygermom wrote:
... But this would still allow one to enter the castle which seems very strange. ...

Narratively, the creatures, sic!, do not enter the castle. At first. The shields describe the castle's defence, walls, guards etc. So when creatures are defeated by these the trophy will be mounted on a shield in the great hall.
But, these defenses are limited. So when to much creatures attack the castle, it will fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Confused as well -

All monsters that are defeated, merely go to space 80 of the board, correct?
Does the same "one monster per space" apply to space 80?
Where do monsters go after space 80 - I couldn't find a space 79; the next lowest number I saw was 71.

And side note - holy crap, is it possible to win? I know, yes it is, but geez. I knew I was doomed by the time the narrator track hit the halfway mark. Like, don't-even-bother doomed.
I played 2 characters, Archer and Wizard. I know this is a puzzley game, but I hope it's not the kind where in order to win, in addition to having lucky dice rolls, you must do exactly moves A, B and C, in that order, with only characters X, Y and Z.
I guess I did not spot the path to victory; or, rather, by the time i spotted what might have been it, there really wasn't a way for me to do that.

I did really like the Legend mechanism and how the story (and gameplay rules) advanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitriy Razumov
Russia
Vladimir
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
Does the same "one monster per space" apply to space 80?

No. All dead monsters stays at space 80.

dtcarson wrote:
but I hope it's not the kind where in order to won, in addition to having lucky dice rolls, you must do exactly moves A, B and C, in that order, with only characters X, Y and Z.

Tutorial Legend 1 is almost like you described. But other Legends can use more open-ranged approach. One time we win Legend 3 without killing any monsters but the boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monsters that are defeated advance the narrator by 1. That is what the symbol at field 80 means. Those monsters are basically out of the game. They don't move anywhere else and can in fact just be removed from the board.

Deciding halfway that you are not going to make it is silly most of the time (except maybe when you lost multiple battles). You will usually need all the available time there is, so if you still have half of it, there is plenty of stuff left to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The tutorial is not that difficult. Kill less monsters, make sure to study the map carefully and keep in mind that you can move through the castle. Depending on when and where you fail, I am sure one of these tips will help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dtcarson wrote:
And side note - holy crap, is it possible to win? I know, yes it is, but geez. I knew I was doomed by the time the narrator track hit the halfway mark. Like, don't-even-bother doomed.
I played 2 characters, Archer and Wizard. I know this is a puzzley game, but I hope it's not the kind where in order to win, in addition to having lucky dice rolls, you must do exactly moves A, B and C, in that order, with only characters X, Y and Z. I guess I did not spot the path to victory; or, rather, by the time i spotted what might have been it, there really wasn't a way for me to do that.

My 2c here. We also played the intro with 2 characters (Archer & Dwarf) and managed to pull off a win in the second last turn. I am sure that in any game involving dice, there are "good" rolls and "bad" rolls. We had a mix of both (but I suppose its possible to roll badly throughout...). Trick is to focus on the objective, not on monster kills except where absolutely necessary (and via teaming up). Once you do that, it becomes clearer what you need to do...

PS Halfway on the narrator track has nothing to do with whether you win or not ... never give up, never surrender! sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.