GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,806 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: The next big thing: Legacy games + App Driven games = Gaming Armageddon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
First legacy games came to quickly dominate the market, forcing player after player to destroy their precious components at the command of a cruel message in an envelope. Next app driven games arrived, and like the sheep that we are we all signed on, buying ever more complicated games and bowing down in supplication to the apps that made them divine.

On the horizon I see the next step. Legacy + App. It's inevitable. The suits who make these games with their planned obsolescence designed to churn out ever higher and higher profits will see the golden rainbow and force us to empty our wallets at their command.

So someday, in the not too distant future, you my friend will be opening that envelope with a sense of impending doom, your nerveless fingers will reluctantly pick up that hammer, and you will bring it down with shattering force on your precious iPhone 8s. It will be gaming nirvana.*

*It's probably all a plot by hammer manufacturers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Before too long there will be entire games that are nothing but an app on a screen, and board games will completely go extinct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason King
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
So someday, in the not too distant future, you my friend will be opening that envelope with a sense of impending doom, your nerveless fingers will reluctantly pick up that hammer, and you will bring it down with shattering force on your precious iPhone 8s.

Oh no, my iPhone Nfinity™!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emu Prime wrote:
Before too long there will be entire games that are nothing but an app on a screen, and board games will completely go extinct.

There already are such games. Yet somehow board games seem to be expanding.

Much like the cheap availability of printed cards did not result in the demise of dice games and simple board and piece games - just a proliferation of card games and cards creeping into the other genres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
On the horizon I see the next step. Legacy + App. It's inevitable. The suits who make these games with their planned obsolescence designed to churn out ever higher and higher profits will see the golden rainbow and force us to empty our wallets at their command.
I'd be amused if there's a legacy game that uses an app in a way that lets you reset the game back to it's original state. Like your iPhone serves as your deck of cards, and as the game goes along cards in your deck become "permanently" modified. Which could be easily undone at game end with a simple button click, something that can't happen as easily with a physical component that's been stickered.

The dilemma that would put the app-hating, legacy-fearing crowd into would be delicious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gxnpt wrote:
Emu Prime wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't app driven games already legacy games as it is...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An app driven game is not a legacy game so long as either:

A) the software can be ported forward to new hardware

or

B) dedicated hardware remains functional

so if you toss your old smartphone into the box....................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrusaderX wrote:
Aren't app driven games already legacy games as it is...devil

A thumb just for your avatar.

Thunkd wrote:

The dilemma that would put the app-hating, legacy-fearing crowd into would be delicious!

No dilemma at all, just twice as much reason to avoid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
First legacy games came to quickly dominate the market

You mean one game? I'm not sure having two games in the Top 200 is really dominating the market, or three games in five years would qualify as doing so quickly. Seafall has yet to prove itself worthy of even beating Risk Legacy or even hitting the Top 1000, and anything else is unreleased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want the iPad to self destruct when the game is over, like in Mission impossible. That would be so cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:

Still no dilemma. It requires an app so I'm not buying!

(I might play somebody else's copy though. devil)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
skutsch wrote:
First legacy games came to quickly dominate the market

You mean one game?

Given the amount of irony in his post I wouldn't take this statement too literally...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Emu Prime wrote:
gxnpt wrote:
Emu Prime wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe%27s_law
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Thunkd wrote:
skutsch wrote:
I'd be amused if there's a legacy game that uses an app in a way that lets you reset the game back to it's original state. Like your iPhone serves as your deck of cards, and as the game goes along cards in your deck become "permanently" modified. Which could be easily undone at game end with a simple button click, something that can't happen as easily with a physical component that's been stickered.

I think we're most of the way (all of the way?) there with Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though my regular board games aren't a "board games as a service" model, that's how they sort of turned out. When you play any given game 0 to 4 times a year (average 0.6 times per year), and spend more money getting games played (like going to cons) then buying them, it sure feels like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spencer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bring on the apocalypse! I'm ready to embrace my never ending gaming destiny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McElroy

Cedar Hill
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a race between Legacy + App Driven games and Asmodee North America + hammers to destroy the board gaming industry as a whole. Or, it could be that Doofenshmirtz is using his legapphamodee-inator....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet will fit the bill but I think phone smashing is optional. The iPhone8 will come free as long as you give apple a kidney.your firstborn and sign up for a minimum 10 year contract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Heisenberg
Spain
Death Star
A galaxy far, far away
flag msg tools
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
badge
"Say my name"
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples dream: iPad legacy, you destroy it if you lose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eatem wrote:
I want the iPad to self destruct when the game is over, like in Mission impossible. That would be so cool.
Given how your typical iPad can be used for 5 years (give or take) before iOS updates end up making running games very difficult or impossible due to not enough hardware resources and/or compatibility, we sort of already have this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Even though my regular board games aren't a "board games as a service" model, that's how they sort of turned out. When you play any given game 0 to 4 times a year (average 0.6 times per year), and spend more money getting games played (like going to cons) then buying them, it sure feels like it.

Yeah. Contra many people's stated experience, I find casual gamers I play with just as likely (perhaps moreso) to want to play a new game every time than to spend time really getting to know a title well. That makes me a little sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
eatem wrote:
Given how your typical iPad can be used for 5 years (give or take) before iOS updates end up making running games very difficult or impossible due to not enough hardware resources and/or compatibility, we sort of already have this.

Then get the app on Android. Compatibility is much longer. APKs are easy to copy.
Even better... download the Windows version of the app. Compatibility insured for the next 40 years at minimum. It will last longer than your boardgame's physical pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I say the next big thing is to design an app-driven boardgame where you need to pay a 0.99$ microtransaction in the app to have the right to draw a card in your physical boardgame.

Come to think of it, that could be one heck of a good boardgame concept:
"You play a boardgame about playing a free to play videogame. You have a hundred bucks to get through the game. If you don't pay, you get slow as snail progression in the game. If you pay, you go WAY faster. Will you be able to manage your progression by paying for supplies in the game at the right time to complete it with only the hundred bucks you have?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
I say the next big thing is to design an app-driven boardgame where you need to pay a 0.99$ microtransaction in the app to have the right to draw a card in your physical boardgame.

Come to think of it, that could be one heck of a good boardgame concept:
"You play a boardgame about playing a free to play videogame. You have a hundred bucks to get through the game. If you don't pay, you get slow as snail progression in the game. If you pay, you go WAY faster. Will you be able to manage your progression by paying for supplies in the game at the right time to complete it with only the hundred bucks you have?"

I need this to be the first P2W whine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.