robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder the card game is unique. Like the Thunderstone game before, it shouldn't be long before clones appear. Yet for the life of me I can't seem to identify any. I do have Dungeoneer yet it is not a deck builder and not suited for solo play. Are there any clones of pathfinder the card game out there? I mean it's been 3 years since its release and I would be surprised for there not to be any.

Question: What other games are similar out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadowrun: Crossfire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rkcpek wrote:
Pathfinder the card game is unique. Like the Thunderstone game before, it shouldn't be long before clones appear. Yet for the life of me I can't seem to identify any. I do have Dungeoneer yet it is not a deck builder and not suited for solo play. Are there any clones of pathfinder the card game out there? I mean it's been 3 years since its release and I would be surprised for there not to be any.

Not quite sure how big the similarities actually are, but the same designer came up with this: Apocrypha Adventure Card Game. Then, there's Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game, which is quite a different thing mechanically (it's closer to Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game and The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game), but thematically is pretty close (and it also has campaign play, is fully co-op and you get to keep stuff between sessions). Mistfall may be another one, but I'm not sure, since I never played that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rkcpek wrote:
Pathfinder the card game is unique.

What aspects of PACG would you like to find in another game? New games typically grab pieces of earlier games, but change them up and add new aspects.

For example, off the top of my head, I can't think of any "clones" of Thunderstone, where my definition would be "Dominion-style deckbuilding with a Dungeon delve theme". Shadowrift is probably closest, but feels completely different because the cards you buy don't ramp up your skills from peon to hero.

For me, the essence of PACG is the campaign and the slow character deck build. But for someone else it might be the move/flip/decide/roll. Someone else might focus on the actions and combos of the cards you can play. And another still might just focus on the narrative story, not the gameplay.

Aside from the sequels (S&S, WotR, Mummmy something something), Apocrypha seems likely to be closest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

beat me to it Apocrypha Adventure Card Game will be the closest thing and it is from the same designer(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
For example, off the top of my head, I can't think of any "clones" of Thunderstone, where my definition would be "Dominion-style deckbuilding with a Dungeon delve theme". Shadowrift is probably closest, but feels completely different because the cards you buy don't ramp up your skills from peon to hero.

not trying to derail this, but there's Aeon's End. Though coming to think about it, maybe it isn't such a great match after all. And then there's the upcoming Hero Realms, and I think it'll get a co-op mode, so there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DomHiob wrote:
not trying to derail this, but there's Aeon's End. Though coming to think about it, maybe it isn't such a great match after all. And then there's the upcoming Hero Realms, and I think it'll get a co-op mode, so there's that.

I think it's a reasonable part of the discussion, to try to figure out what a "clone" means. Aeon's End does, at a glance, look somewhat similar. Of course it hasn't been fully released yet, so it is coming out 7 years after Thunderstone.

Hero Realms is an Ascension-style deckbuilder, which to me makes it definitely not a clone. The "clone-y-ness" of something is very subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must apologize for not mentioning what type of game I am seeking in the way of 'clones'. I have Thunderstone for quick deck building goodness. Solo play would be necessary. In PACG It is the aspect of character building and the fun of long campaigns comprised of many smaller scenario/adventures that attract me.

Thunderstone's randomness of deck setup seems more like a roll of the dice than creating evaluated 'scenarios' for a longer campaign. These adventures in PACG seem to squeeze more out of the existing deck. Also I am thinking of a base game by itself without expansions. Expansions as an option would be very nice, but not essential to enjoy it to its full potential.

I have "classic/original" Thunderstone and I am not aware of any expansion that adds a 'campaign' element to the gameplay. Clue me in if I'm wrong there.

Just offering some insight to my midnight posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rkcpek wrote:
Solo play would be necessary.

Have you played PACG? If so, then some of my answers might be redundant with your knowledge. Also, if you have, knowing what you like or dislike would help. But if you haven't, then then the obvious question would be: What about PACG is causing you to seek out a clone instead?

Personally, I don't enjoy PACG solo, because you pretty much have to run 2 or more characters. I want the thematic immersion of having a single avatar in the game. Obviously many people are fine playing multiple characters in a game, and for them, PACG is great solo.

Quote:
In PACG It is the aspect of character building and the fun of long campaigns comprised of many smaller scenario/adventures that attract me.

Cool. There are games with campaigns, but I'm not aware of any that do it a lot like PACG. It seems like it's fairly common to have a "campaign" consisting of a set of scenarios, but much rarer to have a 30+ scenario campaign (like PACG), and also much rarer to have significant persistence from scenario to scenario (the strongest aspect of PACG).

I should also mention that "legacy" games overlap somewhat. For me, they are not interesting because I have no desire to destroy my game as I play it. But if you're OK with that idea, there might be some recent legacy campaigns that would appeal to you.

Hmm...Seems like there should be a geeklist for "campaign" games. Searching for geeklists with campaign in the title reveals a bunch. Most probably won't help you, but for completeness, here they are:
Campaign/Exploration game....Help me find my next game!
Games you enjoy that have Campaign rules
See you next week! Games that have a campaign
Dungeon Heroes Solo Campaign
Until next we meet... (Games with a campaign element)
Boardgames with league or campaign rules - THE LIST
Games with a Persistent World or Campaign element
Sci Fi campaign systems that make me drool - need more!
Games with Campaign Systems
"Reap What you Sow" - We need games with structured campaign systems!
Campaign/Season style games
Best of the Campaign Style game designs

Quote:
Also I am thinking of a base game by itself without expansions. Expansions as an option would be very nice, but not essential to enjoy it to its full potential.

Each set of PACG absolutely needs all 5 adventure expansions. Playing with just the base box would be a hollow experience, at least for me. You don't need the Character add-on or class deck expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert kalin
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played pacg but I am a little familiar with it through reviews and walkthrough videos.If I were to purchase pacg I would use the printed card tracker sheets instead of marking up the cards. As to the need to use expansions with pacg, I highly suspected that was the case.

9-15-update
Mistfall looks like a good second choice to pathfinder. Less dice rolling and more tactics and challenging solo with one character as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.