Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been waiting to find a good price on the Second Edition of Evolution. Was walking through Target yesterday and saw Evolution: The Beginning. what?!?!

I have been watching this game for a while. Every time I come close to buying the game, a new version comes out. I hear there might be another kick starter soon with another version?!?!

There is not a lot of information about the difference between Evolution: the Beginning VS Evolution (2nd).

Can someone help me and explain what is the difference and if someone should buy it?

Are there any other games that keep coming out with a different version for the same game? (Not retheming)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution: The Beginning is a slimmed down version of the game, with fewer trait cards and (as I recall) somewhat simplified rules. It's supposed to be a better "gateway" version of the game. (Kind of the same difference between the "family" and "standard" versions of Agricola, I suppose.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not look up Evolution the Beginning on this forum? There's plenty of information there.

I have found that non-gamers struggle with teaching themselves evolution. I find it hard to understand why, as it seems like such a simple game to me, but I have friends who simply cannot work the game out from the instructions.

So I suspect that it all depends on who you want to play with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Evolution: The Beginning is a slimmed down version of the game, with fewer trait cards and (as I recall) somewhat simplified rules. It's supposed to be a better "gateway" version of the game. (Kind of the same difference between the "family" and "standard" versions of Agricola, I suppose.)

Evolution: The Beginning is fairly different mechanically from Evolution. (So the Agricola full game vs family comparison doesn't work.) It's a great game, too, but definitely check out that forum to find out more about it.

Here's a great review: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1614156/first-play-2p-r...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
I have been watching this game for a while. Every time I come close to buying the game, a new version comes out. I hear there might be another kick starter soon with another version?!?!

This is precisely why I do not follow or buy their games anymore. Rather than release expansions, they just keep publishing a rehash of previous versions of the game with different rules or wording on the cards. Not my cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryalyn wrote:
This is precisely why I do not follow or buy their games anymore. Rather than release expansions, they just keep publishing a rehash of previous versions of the game with different rules or wording on the cards. Not my cup of tea.

Except that's not what this is so you can have your tea back, you don't have to give it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
North Star Games
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryalyn wrote:

I'd like to think that putting out a new edition of a game with slight card rewordings is not out of the ordinary. We can have a differing opinions about this, but I also wouldn't describe our Flight expansion or Evolution: Climate as having 'rehashed' the game. They certainly add a lot to the gameplay.

Either way, you can rest assured that we don't have any expansions for Evolution: The Beginning planned, nor do we plan on rehashing it. I hope that that clears up any confusion about our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
There is not a lot of information about the difference between Evolution: the Beginning VS Evolution (2nd).

Can someone help me and explain what is the difference and if someone should buy it?

Sure, check out my post over on the game page for Evolution: The Beginning. Hopefully there is enough information about the differences to help answer your question.

Ryalyn wrote:
shallowz wrote:

North Star's other games are party games, though. They've experimented with releasing an expansion for Wits & Wagers and I believe it was the worst selling product they've ever produced. So they update the pool of questions constantly and change out the question cards every so often to keep the questions current.

As for Evolution, the only 'rehash' involved is Dominic redesigning and streamlining the game Evolution: The Origin of Species and North Star playtesting it extensively for balance. That's what was released as base Evolution (1st Edition / 2nd Edition). Otherwise, they absolutely release Expansions. So far, they've released Evolution: Flight and Evolution: Climate, both of which feature new mechanisms and concepts that profoundly change the way the game is played. Climate was released as a small-box Expansion for players who already own the base game. It was also released in a big box with all of the core cards and components to help players who are just becoming interested in the Evolution Game System save some money and not have to combine a base and an expansion in order to just play the game.

Because Evolution was designed for competitive play, they do what every other publisher does with competitive card games: they publish errata and then release updated cards that reflect the new wording and errata.

From what I've heard, Target approached North Star requesting a more mass-market friendly strategy game and Dominic had the design for Evolution: The Beginning more or less ready to go already. Again, this is no different from the various flavors of beginner boxes or pre-constructed decks that exist for M:tG, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
shallowz wrote:
Have been waiting to find a good price on the Second Edition of Evolution. Was walking through Target yesterday and saw Evolution: The Beginning. what?!?!

Evolution: The Beginning is similar in weight to Citadels, 7 Wonders, Pandemic, Small World, or Dominion. While it has the depth that many gamers seek, it is also simple enough to teach to non-gamer friends and family. It is heavier than Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne.

Evolution: Climate is a meatier game for people who like deep games such as Terra Mystica, Scythe, or Power Grid.

Evolutionsits exactly in the middle of these two weight classes.

shallowz wrote:
Are there any other games that keep coming out with a different version for the same game? (Not retheming)

Not exactly sure what you are asking but here are a few expamples that might fit the bill:

Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Zombicide
Munchkins
Pandemic
Codenames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.