Popular Tags: Pretty_legit_sites_say_that's_a_gun [+] [View All]
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
One woman, a 63-year-old grandmother, wanted to get rid of her firearm for personal reasons, the Star Tribune reported.

The woman arrived at 12:30 p.m. and was dismayed by the possibility that she’d have to hold onto the gun. She bought it more than 20 years ago as a single mother living in a crime-ridden neighborhood.

“I’m not fond of guns,” said the woman, who asked not to be identified for safety reasons. “I’ve been wanting to get rid of it for years.”
Boy is she going to feel stupid when Trump sends his jackbooted thugs to put her in a camp. She'll have no way to fend off the armored car that rams her house.

Not only that, doesn't she realize that it is her civic duty to go down to Home Depot and shoot shoplifters? There was a time in this country when people cared about and looked out for each other. People like this selfish, cowardly grandmother are destroying our country.

Seriously though, people who don't want their guns are less likely to take much effort securing them. It's better they are turned in. If they are too lazy to do it without a gift certificate, then that is just what our society has encouraged, nobody do anything for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
One woman, a 63-year-old grandmother, wanted to get rid of her firearm for personal reasons, the Star Tribune reported.

The woman arrived at 12:30 p.m. and was dismayed by the possibility that she’d have to hold onto the gun. She bought it more than 20 years ago as a single mother living in a crime-ridden neighborhood.

“I’m not fond of guns,” said the woman, who asked not to be identified for safety reasons. “I’ve been wanting to get rid of it for years.”
Boy is she going to feel stupid when Trump sends his jackbooted thugs to put her in a camp. She'll have no way to fend off the armored car that rams her house.

Not only that, doesn't she realize that it is her civic duty to go down to Home Depot and shoot shoplifters? There was a time in this country when people cared about and looked out for each other. People like this selfish, cowardly grandmother are destroying our country.

Seriously though, people who don't want their guns are less likely to take much effort securing them. It's better they are turned in. If they are too lazy to do it without a gift certificate, then that is just what our society has encouraged, nobody do anything for free.
Someone who is too lazy to not get rid of something that have wanted to get rid of is the very kind of person who should not have it.

In really do not see why this is such an issue, OMG they are getting rid of poorly looked after and secured guns, OMG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Better yet, sell them. She'd probably make more money.
Maybe, but being a private seller with at least some thought of consequences, she might not be comfortable just selling to someone through classifieds or something. This is a relatively easy, relatively safe way for her to solve her problem with a clear conscience and get something out of it.

This just reminded me of an example I had forgotten about, when my step-dad died, my Mom wanted to get rid of his gun. At the time both my brother and I had young children in the house and neither of us were comfortable trying to secure it in our own homes. She actually did take it down to the police station to turn it in. The officer at the desk told her that she could make some money selling it, but my mom didn't want to go through the bother. He went ahead and gave her a $100 and bought it for himself. Not sure if that is allowed or not, but she solved her problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
In really do not see why this is such an issue, OMG they are getting rid of poorly looked after and secured guns chunks of wood with pipes on them, OMG!

FTFY to help you understand the issue better.
It's more of an issue of poor screening than an issue with the concept itself right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
In really do not see why this is such an issue, OMG they are getting rid of poorly looked after and secured guns chunks of wood with pipes on them, OMG!

FTFY to help you understand the issue better.
According to the story that was not the only item given in, or did I misread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How can you guys not see that a single instance of fraud means that the system is broken? It's just like voter fraud all over again. If those tens of voting fraud incidents in the country isn't enough to convince you that we need to spend tons of money to fix the system, nothing will. Open your eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all heroes wear capes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
Not all heroes wear capes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Drew1365 wrote:
First, you attach a pipe to a piece of wood . . .

. . . then you hand it over to the Minneapolis Police Dept. during a gun buy-back event.

One more scary-looking weapon off the streets!

Quote:
Minneapolis police purchased a homemade shotgun consisting of a piece of wood and lead pipe during a gun buyback program on Saturday.

The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, a state-based gun rights groups, announced on its Facebook page that a man had been paid $100 in gift certificates for a makeshift shotgun at the event. A picture of the shotgun posted on the group’s page illustrates the primitive nature of the firearm. The serial number, written in marker on the piece of wood, reads “BuyBacksDontWork01” and demonstrates the gun was created as a statement against such programs.

The buyback ended early on Saturday after the department accumulated 150 firearms and ran through its $25,000 budget. However, critics said the firearms collected by the program were not coming from criminals. A number of people interviewed by local news outlets said they were trying to get rid of old, unused firearms.

“Had a couple firearms in my safe that hadn’t been used for a lot of years and I figured, good as place as any,” John Murphy, of New Hope, told WCCO. “It was an easy process.”

Police defended the buyback as effective.

“If we can get guns that people no longer want to have around their house off the streets to where they cannot be stolen from houses and used in crimes that’s a good thing,” Minneapolis Police Officer Corey Schmidt told WCCO.

thanks for proving cops are dumb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
So yea, it does nothing to get "guns off the street." It just helps lazy people (or scammers in the pic above) to get rid of their guns.
You don't agree with this comment then?
Quote:
“If we can get guns that people no longer want to have around their house off the streets to where they cannot be stolen from houses and used in crimes that’s a good thing,” Minneapolis Police Officer Corey Schmidt told WCCO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I shed a little tear at the brilliance displayed by the person who built this. Dear god this is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Drew1365 wrote:
First, you attach a pipe to a piece of wood . . .

That homemade shotgun whose components included a piece of wood and lead pipe would not have been trade-able unless it were actually a functional shotgun. So, no, it's NOT based on how something looks but how it actually *functions*.

So, no, it's NOT an easy $100.00, because the homemade shotgun had other components therein to make it a functional shotgun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

The gun owners I have known had their weapons in their purse or under the bed. Gun safes are really not used that much by people with one gun who own it for self defense.

They want it easily accessed so when they get angry, drunk, depressed, or the kids* are unsupervised at home, the gun can be used.

*20 to 25% of gun owning children said they had seen or played with weapons parents thought were safely hidden but not in a safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
That homemade shotgun whose components included a piece of wood and lead pipe would not have been trade-able unless it were actually a functional shotgun. So, no, it's NOT based on how something looks but how it actually *functions*.

So, no, it's NOT an easy $100.00, becaue the homemade shotgun had other components therein to make it a functional shotgun.
Shreve is right, it's called a slamfire shotgun. Here is an instructable to make your own:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Hardware-Store-12-Gauge-Shot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we have established that the "wood and pipe" is actually a firearm, it does beg the question as to whether gun control is ever feasible. From what I gather, slamfire weapons have been used by resistance fighters since WWII. Sort of like zip guns, when baddetermined people want to fire bullets/pellets at you they are going to find a way. Ammunition becomes the control point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then again, slamfires and zipguns are Muskets for all intents and purposes as far as rate of fire goes, so deadliness power is reduced. Maybe gun buy backs should be limited to weapons that can hold more than one round at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Now that we have established that the "wood and pipe" is actually a firearm, . . .

How did we establish that?

Look at the pipe in the photo and the pipe in the instructable. Same build configuration. Either it is a Slamfire shotgun or someone made the effort to build it just like a slamfire shotgun. If it was simply a wood and pipe contraption, there is no need to spend the extra money on an endcap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I shed a little tear at the brilliance displayed by the person who built this. Dear god this is amazing.

They should have left the breach accessible drilled a hole in it and included a nail and hammer so it would have been "functional".

Weirdly no one caught it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting discussion around the legality of manufacture and sale/transfer of such weapons.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445317

Summary... it's legal to make such weapons and they are subject to the same rules as professionally manufactured weapons with regard to concealment gun size and gun barrel length. Some (apparently mistaken discussion) of paying BATF Form 1 taxes on the weapon. (But you never know if the police might be equally mistaken so you end up with a multi-thousand dollar legal bill defending your right to own such a weapon and not pay taxes).

My favorite (tho somewhat grisly) quote from the discussion: "If you compare "death by firearm" to suicide by firearm, you will discover that a large percentage of firearm deaths are the gun-owners themselves, but they died happy, with their gun in their hand.."

None of this is cited so you'd need to double check it.

For some squirrelly logic on the subject tho...

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/can-i-sell-or...

summary... you CAN sell it if you didn't intend to sell it when you made it. Lol. And apparently The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) is the controlling law in this area.

According to the wiki however..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Title_II_weapons

It looks like the shotgun above doesn't have to pay the tax stamp because...

It is single shot.
It is long enough that it can't be concealed.

See the "Any Other Weapons" section for details.

---

Obviously fire arms collection programs in the future should limit themselves to professionally manufactured weapons which can fire more than two shots without reloading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
So it hasn't been established that it's actually a firearm. Got it.

Because "either/or" statements and "if/then" statements kind of indicate that nothing's actually been established.
Is there any reason to think it isn't?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Now that we have established that the "wood and pipe" is actually a firearm, . . .

How did we establish that?

Look at the pipe in the photo and the pipe in the instructable. Same build configuration. Either it is a Slamfire shotgun or someone made the effort to build it just like a slamfire shotgun. If it was simply a wood and pipe contraption, there is no need to spend the extra money on an endcap.

Because "either/or" statements and "if/then" statements kind of indicate that nothing's actually been established.

Is it a clock/bomb?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rcbevco wrote:
They should have left the breach accessible drilled a hole in it and included a nail and hammer so it would have been "functional".

Weirdly no one caught it?
Like my picture above shows , this configuration can work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, some enterprising person tried to unload a whole bag of these firearms a couple years ago. The officer involved decided to pass on them.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/11/17/handing-zip-gu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Is there any reason to think it isn't?

Yes, because this is it:

Compare that to the image I posted. Now, you tell me. Are those the same things?

From my recent reading above, the sideways handle could be a legal issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Compare that to the image I posted. Now, you tell me. Are those the same things?
Yes, I am confident, now that I have read some homemade shotgun sites, seen many images and have read other attempts to do this very thing with slamfire shotguns at buy backs that the device in your picture is, in fact, a slamfire shotgun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.