Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Salvato
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short version: Is there a way here on BGG -- or somewhere else on the Web -- to search wargames by battle/historical period/theater?

Long Version:

The heavy metal band Sabaton has the unique distinction of being the only band in the "historical war metal" genre. Their latest album, The Last Stand, contains songs covering famous last stands throughout history, from the Gates of Thermopylae to Hill 3234 in the Russian-Afghan war:

1. "Sparta" - Battle of Thermopylae

2. "Last Dying Breath" - Dragutin Gavrilović/Defense of Belgrade WWI

3. "Blood of Bannockburn" - Battle of Bannockburn

4. "Diary of an Unknown Soldier" - Meuse-Argonne Offensive

5. "The Lost Battalion" - Lost Battalion (World War I)

6. "Rorke's Drift" - Battle of Rorke's Drift

7. "The Last Stand" - Stand of the Swiss Guard

8. "Hill 3234" - Battle for Hill 3234

9. "Shiroyama" - Battle of Shiroyama

10. "Winged Hussars" - Polish hussars/Battle of Vienna

11. "The Last Battle" - Battle for Castle Itter

I'm curious to see if there are any wargames covering these last stand battles, as I'd like to see how they are treated by the wargaming hobby, and perhaps even try my hand at a few of these scenarios myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Morss
United States
Sanford
Maine
flag msg tools
mb
http://grognard.com/Subjects.aspx

Not sure how current that list is - grognard.com has been in transition for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kiriazis
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 11. "The Last Battle" - Battle for Castle Itter

Here's the link to a Print and Play title and contest entry:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/196257/castle-itter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shidara wrote:
10. "Winged Hussars" - Polish hussars/Battle of Vienna

Gates of Vienna Neat fun system, but see forums for errata, and it seems unbalanced as a game (very strong advantage for Turks in the 2 times I tried it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
shidara wrote:
Short version: Is there a way here on BGG -- or somewhere else on the Web -- to search wargames by battle/historical period/theater?

I don't know of any good database myself. As you've probably seen here, the most granular BGG goes is by period or by war, for some of the more popular wars. Those are mostly obscure battles; were they something more common I'd suggest searching the geeklists. But there is, for example, a one for Thermopylae.

I don't know how flexible the BGG database is, but if there's enough interest and enthusiasm, it may be worth petitioning the admins to see if a new field could be created for that sort of thing.

Part of the reason I think you run into problems is what do you do with something like ASL? It has lots of scenarios at the Bulge and in Stalingrad. Would it get tagged with those? Or what about Pacific War? Should it get a broad 'PTO' label? But the game is really designed for the lower-level scenarios, such as the Guadalcanal campaign scenario. So should it get the Guadalcanal label?

These are all questions you could try to sort out in a systematic way, but it demonstrates that such a database is only going to be able to go so far before it becomes either incomplete or unwieldy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could go to CSW and search the whole site with the name of the battle. If your term includes more than one word, put them all in quotes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.