GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,434 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Encounter cards without description? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently purchased a retain version of Scythe and upon unboxing realized that the encounter cards did not have the description of the encounter, only the choices. Is this normal? I thought both the description and the choices were on the cardS. Is this a difference between the Kickstarter and retail versions?

TLS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thelegitsandman wrote:
I recently purchased a retain version of Scythe and upon unboxing realized that the encounter cards did not have the description of the encounter, only the choices. Is this normal? I thought both the description and the choices were on the cardS. Is this a difference between the Kickstarter and retail versions?
There are no descriptions of the encounters on the Kickstarter version either. That's intentional: you're supposed to determine your own story from the picture (as long as that story then logically leads to the three choices).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Thelegitsandman wrote:
There are no descriptions of the encounters on the Kickstarter version either. That's intentional: you're supposed to determine your own story from the picture (as long as that story then logically leads to the three choices).

A picture's worth a thousand words...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sands
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your quick response. I noticed some posted files that provide the description, is this just user created?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helena Hovancova
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rules, page 24:

"DESIGNER’S NOTE: We made a specific design decision with the beautifully illustrated encounter cards: Rather than tell the players what they’re seeing through a label or flavor text, we’ll let you use your eyes to see the scene you’ve stumbled upon. There’s often a lot happening in these scenes (it’s usually not just one specific thing that’s happening), and the three options explain the various ways in which you can act. Encounter cards are shown to all players when they’re drawn, so your gaming group can integrate as much or as little of the story into the way they play Scythe as they like. We’re giving you the same visual freedom you’d experience if you stumbled upon these scenes in real life rather than restricting you to the limitations of flavor text–after all, a picture is worth a thousand words."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thelegitsandman wrote:
Thanks for your quick response. I noticed some posted files that provide the description, is this just user created?

Yes, that is user created. They wanted some predetermined story to go with the art.

I am fine with the cards as they are; I kind of like that it's left to your imagination exactly what is going on. My group plays just as Jamey ask in the rules: draw the card, look at it, show everyone the pretty picture, then read the three choices. Finally, choose which to take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Yes, that is user created. They wanted some predetermined story to go with the art.

I am fine with the cards as they are; I kind of like that it's left to your imagination exactly what is going on. My group plays just as Jamey ask in the rules: draw the card, look at it, show everyone the pretty picture, then read the three choices. Finally, choose which to take. [/q]

I too like the lack of any subtext or words. I think it makes it way more interesting and really pays homage to the art itself. We play that way too where we show the card to rest of the players and say out loud the options and our choice. Pretty cool the respect this shows for the artist and his art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Merryweather
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My group plays it as:

The player who draws the card explains the scene to everyone, then reads out the options and then chooses one. As said: a picture says a thousand words, and once you've gone through all of the expedition cards, the personal opinion on images is the only way to keep things interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.