Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some firefox help needed (I have version 2.0.3)

I used to be able to visit sites that required you to sign in, and automatically log in (i.e., the option to 'remember password' was checked, so when I visited the site, it would resolve all log in behind the scenes, and I'd simply see the first page of the site, already signed in).

For example, BGG would take me right to my front page, when I accessed 'www.boardgamegeek.com'

Suddenly, for the past couple of weeks, that no longer happens. After about 24 hours (from last access), when I go to my sites, my user name and password are entered correctly in their respective fields, but I haven't been logged in automatically. I have to hit the "log in" button.

Again - for example, when I go to www.boardgamegeek.com, I'm sent to the newuser page. I have to hit "sign in" and then, my name and password are present.

I don't turn my computer off, but, I do close firefox when I'm not using it, so this isn't being triggered by a restart of the computer itself; but rather, by a restart of firefox, each time.

This began only a few weeks ago -- the only thing I've done, since then, really, is update a few Windows updates -- nothing Firefox-specific.

I did uninstall and reinstall Firefox this past weekend. What makes it so odd is that my work computer and home laptop have the exact same setup as my home desktop machine (all the same add-ons, etc.), and yet, my home computer is the only one doing it.

All relevant checkboxes (allow cookies, save passwords) are checked, and they are NOT deleted when I clear private data.

I don't know if any other information would be relevant, but I can certainly add more information if needed.

Has anyone else had this happen before, and if so - how can I stop it from continuing?

If you provide information - and it works - I'll give 10GG...thanks!

Thanks!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I've had problems of this kind have been with cookies.

Check Tools/Options... and click the Privacy/Cookies tab. Verify that you keep cookies until they expire (and that your date and time are set correctly, ofcourse).

Also, click the "View cookies" button and verify that you actually get cookies from bgg and that they're stored.

Check security settings in Windows and your antivirus/firewall/whatnot and verify that they don't block cookie useage.

Hope you sort it out, stuff like this is enough to drive a man (or woman) over the edge!

/Mattias
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, cookies are saved.

I will double-check the "view cookies" since I haven't - but, I suspect that's checked too. Like I said, when I hit "sign in" - my name and password is filled in already. To me, that means the cookies are on and accepted.

Plus, this isn't the only site where this happens. Any site where I was previously logged in upon access no longer does that (yahoo groups, my own site's message board, etc.)

There's something that's not checking if a password is present, and then, bringing me to the front page of the site, already logged in.

As I mentioned, I did install some windows updates a few weeks back - but, I don't know where to look to see if those updates now block cookie usage, for instance.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hi Chris,

First off, the saved login/password combos are not the same as saved cookies. One doesn't really tell you anything about the other.

What I think is going on in your Firefox is that you have it set to expire the cookies at the end of the session. To check/change this do the following.

* Open the Options window (Tools -> Options...).
* Click the Privacy tab.
* Click the Cookies secondary tab.
* Look for the phrase "Keep Cookies."
* Following that you want to see "until they expire." I suspect yours is set to "until I close Firefox."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Frid
Sweden
Kävlinge
Skåne
flag msg tools
200 gg...
badge
down the drain!
mbmbmbmbmb
As Justin said, the stored login data is separate from the cookies.

Do you clear private files when you close Firefox? I usually enter the site via www.boardgamegeek.com (using the entry in my browsing history) and I'm auto logged in. When doing some testing now to recreate your problem, I wrote just boardgamegeek.com and had to log in again.

Do you have http://www.boardgamegeek.com as a "trusted" site, cookies-wise but then use http://boardgamegeek.com when browsing? This could leave you without cookies and make you log in each time.

/Mattias
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
I had the same problem, now once I work out how I fiexed it I will let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Justin,

I'm 99.9999% sure I have mine set to "until they expire" - I checked last evening, specifically for that.

This definitely has me confused.....

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris I had a problem like that a while back with Firefox. I ended up correcting it this way. It was a pain because I lost all my signin data, but it did correct the problem.

I started a new firefox profile using the RUN command
firefox.exe -profilemanager
this allowed me to start a new user for firefox with no data, so the first time a went to a site I had to set it up again, but then it ran fine from then on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David,

I think I probably did that when I uninstalled Firefox this weekend, then re-installed it, and created all new profiles for it.

When I first went to the various websites, I didn't have my sign-in data there, either, since I'd reinstalled the software.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
I had the same problem, now once I work out how I fiexed it I will let you know.

James - if you were able to solve this dilemma, and it works for me, there are 10GG with your name on them

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You din't accidentally check "Clear private data when closing Firefox?"
in the Tools - Options... - Cookies - Settings menu

necermind that was posted already

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Lemur wrote:
jamesdavis wrote:

James - if you were able to solve this dilemma, and it works for me, there are 10GG with your name on them

Chris

Im slowly remembering.

Warning dont actually try this til I remember properly.

If I remember correctly I had to clear all my private data, and I mean absolutely everything, then delete all the saved passwords and start again. Now Im not sure if I remember right, so Ill keep thinking and let you know when I remember.

Just a small question in your private data deletion settings, you do have it not click for 'clear private data when exiting firefox'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
During updates, firefox can get corrupted in different ways. Create another firefox profile and see if it remembers you in that one.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new

If a new profile fixes your problem, then chances are something is whack on yours. The easiest solution might be to move it, and once it's created again, start importing your settings slowly.

If a new profile fixes nothing, chances are your firefox install is broken. download it again and hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
Lemur wrote:
jamesdavis wrote:

Chris

Im slowly remembering.

Warning dont actually try this til I remember properly.

If I remember correctly I had to clear all my private data, and I mean absolutely everything, then delete all the saved passwords and start again. Now Im not sure if I remember right, so Ill keep thinking and let you know when I remember.

Just a small question in your private data deletion settings, you do have it not click for 'clear private data when exiting firefox'?

James,

I do not have it clicked to do that. I clear my own private data, when I want - and, when I do that, neither saved passwords nor cookies is checked off...

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
During updates, firefox can get corrupted in different ways. Create another firefox profile and see if it remembers you in that one.

http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile#new

If a new profile fixes your problem, then chances are something is whack on yours. The easiest solution might be to move it, and once it's created again, start importing your settings slowly.

If a new profile fixes nothing, chances are your firefox install is broken. download it again and hope.

Since I just uninstalled firefox (and deleted all the folders associated with it, through program files and application data), and then, reinstalled firefox, and the problem is still happening, is there any reason to do this?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
By all directories associated to it, do you include the one in Documents and Settings\ \Application Data\Mozilla?

That's where the profile information is kept

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, when I uninstalled and then deleted the folders, I deleted that one, as well as the Mozilla folder in "Program Files" (I did save my bookmark file, but I use that on all the computers as well, and the other computers don't have this same problem).

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Spade
United States
Elizabethtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... and the other computers don't have this same problem.

Well, obviously you just need a new computer! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered contacting a catholic priest? An exorcism might be in order.

A completely clean install of firefox should never do what you are saying it's doing. It doesn't use registry keys AFAIK, so deleting all the directories you mention should give you a clean install.

You could try the magic of safe mode, but I doubt it'd gain much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Chris, this is a tough one. Here are my current two theories (both already in this thread):

#1) Something in your Firefox configuration is trashing your cookies when you exit.

#2) Some other program is "helping" you be secure and trashing your cookies.

So some questions:

A) Are you running any anti-virus/web-security software? If so, what? (Please don't say Norton/Symantec.)

B) Have you looked at about:config yet? You type that in the address bar in Firefox to view/edit the configuration file. You can filter this by useful terms like "cookie" to get a smaller set. Reading these settings may reveal the cause of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok...so far, looks like I'm keeping my GG

My settings are set to accept cookies until they expire.

When I clear private data, it doesn't clear the stuff I don't want it to.

I did NOT know about the about:config thing. I will check that out (maybe save it at home and compare it to my work computer...)

That sounds like the best tactic, right now.

Thanks! I'll keep you updated.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have looked all around, but I can't seem to find a place where I can print or save the "about:config" settings, so I can compare them to what I have at work.

With that being said - Justin - do you have an idea for what I should be looking for, in those settings?

Thanks!

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Redd
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
Hello,

I have looked all around, but I can't seem to find a place where I can print or save the "about:config" settings, so I can compare them to what I have at work.

With that being said - Justin - do you have an idea for what I should be looking for, in those settings?

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well, these would be red flags:

sauron network.cookie.cookieBehavior with a value of 2
sauron network.cookie.enableForCurrentSessionOnly with a value of true
sauron network.cookie.lifetimePolicy of 2 or 3.
(If network.cookie.lifetimePolicy is 3, the value of network.cookie.lifetime.days matters. You probably want lifetimePolicy to be set to 0.)

Justin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Chris,

Another Idea I had, try clicking off, then on all the settings that you want on, sometimes programs might show they are on but not recognise the fact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm...is there ANY way to save the results of the about:config query?

I just ran it here at work (and Justin, all the things you said were fine here; but, then again, my work computer HAS been fine).

But, the about:config came up with a LOT more results at work, than at home, which is odd to me (since it's the same install, with all the same add-ons).

It'd be great if I could take one set of results and compare them to the other.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.