6 Posts

Sky Galleons of Mars» Forums » General

Subject: New to SGOM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B Clarke
Canada
flag msg tools
I just bought an old used copy of this game, and downloaded the Pdf of the manual.

It looks interesting and I really like the Barsoom-like theme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Cloudships & Gunboats addition too
Only played a few times years ago, but was great fun..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Morgan Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fun game that can lead to sessions like this:

http://www.tactics-0.org/Tactics-0/2002/02September21_SkyGal...

Cheers,
Kris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Clarke
Canada
flag msg tools
Better miniatures?
One aspect of the game that puts me off, I'm sad to say, is the quality of the included miniatures. I guess I'm spoiled by the superb minis that come with a lot of games today, but I find that the ships included with the boxed SGoM are rather lacking.

I have seen that there are some very nice minis for Aeronef, Iron Stars, and similar VSF games that would work great for the Human ships, but I haven't found a good stand-in for the Martian ships.

Does anyone know of some minis that would work well for representing these ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually got a bunch of the official metal miniatures from SGOM off eBay probably 8 years ago. They are much better than the plastic ones from the boxed game. Unfortunately, they come up rarely on eBay, so they've very tough to find.

I don't recall any of the Aeronef miniatures coming with sails, so you'll have to improvise with them but many do have masts, so cutting small sails from paper and attaching them might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Champlin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you're not averse to a little DIY, you can find some pretty passable paper minis here: http://onemonk.com/squirmydad-dl.html

I made a couple of the British ships some years ago, just for fun really, and they're not bad. Some day I'll get around to building a couple cloud ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.