$15.00
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: This offer has expired, but Michael's usually has a has a "40% off one item" coupon. Keep shopping! laugh

Use 'em both during checkout:
ONLINEAUG30W
SHIPSALE60W
http://www.michaels.com/

This offer is probably best for new painters stocking up on Liquitex mediums, texture paints, gesso, ink sets, paint, cork, or anyone looking for storage solutions in bulk, including foam board. Of course, if you have family members interested in arts and crafts, baking, or toys, you should find a few things as well.

While Michael's always has a "40% off one item" coupon, they rarely have a "30% off your entire order" offer (expect one during the holiday sale season).

Main problem I have shopping online is that I like to look at storage things up close, and only need a few arts and crafts items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Michael's: 30% off entire online purchase + 50% off shipping : Wed 8/31 only
It generally works better to wait for categories you want to go on sale (which most do regularly) for 40-50 percent off.

But this is good if you need a bunch of random stuff right now and don't have a local store so might worry about shipping.

Also, michaels giftcards are regularly pretty easy to find online 15-20 percent off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Michael's: 30% off entire online purchase + 50% off shipping : Wed 8/31 only
Hey Michael's gurus:

I've been considering getting into foamboard inserts. What would be the ideal time to pick up a supply of it?

I'm not sure I've seen foamboard as part of a "category" sale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in our local Michaels a while back and saw something like these:

Those are the honor crystals from Ascension btw. What the local Michaels had was the larger size in a white/clear.

I'm trying to find these on Michaels online site but not having much luck. Actually, I'd love to find them in a different size and color. Does anyone know what they call these or have a link to them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever been able to find the large crystals on Amazon/Ebay/etc.

I haven't looked in quite a while, but in my experience the small crystals are really hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I know they used to carry them, but I haven't seen them in a long while.

http://www.michaels.com/ashland-clear-decorative-filler/1045...

That's the best I can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Tesoriero
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
This offer is probably best for new painters stocking up on ...

I've often wondered if mini painters would do better using stuff from craft stores. Are the Reaper sets better quality, or would something from Michael's be good enough to get started?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtesorie wrote:
Quote:

I've often wondered if mini painters would do better using stuff from craft stores. Are the Reaper sets better quality, or would something from Michael's be good enough to get started?

Some miniature painters swear by craft paints, but personally I'd recommend starting off with miniature-specific paints, for people who are total beginners to painting.

--Miniature paints are formulated better to stick to models without flaking or chipping off. (An exception is the all-surface craft paints. They don't come in as many colors, but holy crap do they adhere well to just about any surface. I use them as a primer sometimes.)

--Miniature paints have finer pigments so they don't obscure details and thin down better. Craft paints aren't really formulated to be diluted to that extent, so many colors will get kind of chalky and streaky when you thin them enough for minis.

--Miniature paints have a higher pigment density, so usually the colors are more vibrant than a craft paint.

--Miniature paints are (so I've read) better formulated to maintain their color after years, whereas some cheapy craft paints are not particularly lightfast.

If you are already fairly well versed in painting (especially with acrylics), or you just generally have a mindset that you'd rather work a little harder to make the cheaper stuff work than pay a premium for the custom stuff, you may find that craft paints work great for you. It certainly isn't very expensive to give it a shot, especially if you're willing to mix some of the colors yourself.

Personally, I only use craft paints if I'm painting particularly large terrain pieces. I find it totally not worth it to use on actual miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jtesorie wrote:
Quote:

Those giant bottles of craft paint are 99 cents for a reason. They have larger, coarser pigment and the coverage is very uneven. They have some limited place in mini painting, but a new painter is likely to get discouraged with poor results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about everything I wanted to add to my cart was already 30% cheaper (or more) on Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
Just about everything I wanted to add to my cart was already 30% cheaper (or more) on Amazon.

And my question has been ignored!

...this thread is terrible!

/hahajoke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
Personally, I only use craft paints if I'm painting particularly large terrain pieces. I find it totally not worth it to use on actual miniatures.

Yep. Terrain. laugh

* Secret Weapon Miniatures "Tabletop : Mines" : 150 pieces
* Secret Weapon Miniatures "Malice RPG Starter Set" : 35 pieces
* Frontline Games "Stones" game tiles: 125 pieces
* Acheson Creations game tiles: 50 pieces
* Dwarven Forge game tiles: 125 pieces (?)

So not spending money on hobby paints to crank out 450+ game tiles! laugh I'm using Secret Weapon Miniatures Stone wash, though. One bottle of SWM wash lasted about 300 tiles. Whee!

I'll also use colored metallic craft paints. Metallic paints have ground mica in them, so don't have the fine coverage hobby paints do. I've had okay results with metallics for my chaos warriors, and simple results for my Cthulu mini's (metallic makes 'em look glossy). They work just fine, of course, for coloring space ships, such as Cosmic Encounters or Merchants of Venus. I'm switching to Vallejo Metallic Medium, though, which you just add to hobby paints to make them metallic and shiny. Mixing it with non-metallic paints is easy, and this medium is may be cheaper than buying several metallic craft paints. These two miniatures are from the SWM "Ironsides" set. Turns out one was painted with hobby paints, and the other with metallic craft paints! (Both had a black wash with SWM Hard Body Black.)

As for big acrylic tokens, no idea. All I've seen are the smaller sizes, and Michael's stores has a lot of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Hey Michael's gurus:

I've been considering getting into foamboard inserts. What would be the ideal time to pick up a supply of it?

When you're driving by on a friday/sat and they gave you a 50 percent off a single item coupon. Just get em one at a time. Sign up for their emails.

My perspective may be skewed because michaels is like five minute from my house and right next to walmart/chipotle/movies/homedepot/lots of stuff. So I just go there when I'm bored to look at stuff, and craft supply stores are probably my favorite thing to stare at for hours on end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
Hey Michael's gurus:

To add to the above, I often have a Hobby Lobby very close by, so I can hit both stores up in a matter of a few minutes and use a coupon at each. Unlike some competitors, they will open locations in the same shopping center.

Lately I've just taken to buying my foam core at Walmart. It's the same price as either craft store's 50% off coupon (or very close). And it seems to be the same quality. I first tried dollar store stuff, but the paper peeled off the foam in no time (here in humid Texas). So I won't go near stuff that cheap again. Others have told me it's just as good, but since a nice insert can eat up an hour or two, I'd rather splurge the $3 a sheet and be secure. cool

I love hitting up the craft stores for game storage and specialty game bits, tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
I first tried dollar store stuff, but the paper peeled off the foam in no time (here in humid Texas).

fyi, If you're making terrain from foam, peeling paper is a feature! laugh

http://www.009.cd2.com/members/how_to/nouaillier_a.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Andrews
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
OCD with the Letters in the Right Order!
badge
Squirrel Chaser
mbmbmbmbmb
I had put 25 foam core boards in my cart during the sale and found the discount didn't apply, so I decided to wait.

Today I got an offer for free shipping, so I pushed it to 50 boards and got them for $1.50 each with free shipping. I expect them to be reasonable and I am set for foam core for some time.

Price seemed competitive with Amazon and WalMart.

I am not sure exactly what triggers the free shipping offer, but try putting them in a cart (while logged into a registered account) and see if you get the free shipping mail the next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to get the $1.50 per sheet price, with 20% off purchase Coupon and Store delivery.

Ended up paying $1.43 per sheet total out of pocket (includes a bit of tax).

Thanks for the heads up about the price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Kengi wrote:
I know they used to carry them, but I haven't seen them in a long while.

http://www.michaels.com/ashland-clear-decorative-filler/1045...

That's the best I can find.

We tried to find the Ascension gems online during the Make-A-Thon but didn't have a lot of luck.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22690979#22690979

I was just at my local store a few days ago and noticed that they were completely gone from the store to make room for glass pumpkins and leaves. Which makes sense, since the gems were labeled "summer scatter" when they had them and now they're bringing in the fall scatter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.