Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Copied from the trades thread to it's own for ease of finding

You can also find more at the Fallcon Guild

Perks55 wrote:
Can someone help me out and tell me what goes on at FallCon that makes it worth the admission price? I think I'd like to go (I've never been!) but I haven't a clue what to expect for the day (or weekend).

TheImp wrote:
Open gaming all weekend long I am a little reserved so I find Fridays hard to start off but once you find a few people to game with it is pretty good, Saturday and Sunday I usually know people who I game with all the time. There are usually a few games you can register for so that is what I like to do on Friday. There are vendors selling games, possible door prize. Saturday is the auction where you can pick up some good games, and a flea market on Sunday. I usually have a great time so I think it is worth it. I will be there this year again.

ParisPink wrote:
As Kent mentioned, there is an Auction Saturday night (6pm), Sunday there is a flea market and then all weekend there are people teaching games. those spots are filling up fast though. I signed up a month ago and some spots for games are full already. When you register it will direct you to the webpage to sign up for events.

This will be my first year going. I signed up last year but stuff came up. I have a few friends involved. One is on the FallCon committee and another an event host. I'll be volunteering at the Registration desk on Saturday as will a few of my friends. Another will be teaching a couple games on Friday and Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going for the first time this year and I'd echo the thought of "I haven't a clue what to expect" and would say that the Fallcon website doesn't do a good job of answering this question. Hence I'm assuming your post here.

The About Fallcon page only has pricing and times.

The FAQ seems geared to long term attendees and refers to things that aren't mentioned elsewhere like "After Dark," while also missing the most basic question of "What should I expect at Fallcon?"

I've found the schedule after signing up which helps a little and I've now got some assumptions about what to expect. However, as an event that lists that "Our secondary focus is creating a friendly and inviting convention" I'd say the website isn't overly inviting to the newcomer.

That being said - I'm still signed up and looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FallCon wrote:
My goal with FallCon is to satisfy both the long term attendee, and to welcome the newcomers equally. As you can imagine, this can be quite a challenge at time.

Our website has always been a work in progress, and we are always looking for people to help out (read: take over) this.

Let me see if I can help you with some details about the convention.

I apologize for the bullet points and squirrel-like nature of my responses in advance.

1. 3 days of gaming, with hosted games, open games, and some tournaments.

2. Our open gaming ambassadors will help you pick out a game from our 1000+ game library, try to find you players if needed and generally help out wherever possible.

3. Our 400 game auction is always a spectacle in itself, and is a sight to see.

4. our flea market is relatively new, but always has a lot og great deals.

5. our hosted games are designed to be a teaching experience, giving you the opportunity to learn the game before going shopping.

Hopefully this helps, and if not, feel free to drop me a PM.

Darren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply Darren - here's some more follow-on questions, some more pedantic than others, but hopefully pointing you in the direction of things that could help if posted on the website. (Not saying I need answers now, just being a squirrel myself to try and help)

How do Hosted Games work - how do I sign-up for these? I want to sign up for one but it's full, are more hosted games added during the weekend? If I sign up for one and decide to play something else is that cool, what should I do?

Open games - how do I find a game, is there a good way to arrange something prior to the weekend, or to suggest games I'd like to play to find people?

Is there a family section if I come with my kids?

Auction - what's auctioned? How do games get entered for the auction and how do I participate as a buyer or seller? Can you view the items prior to the auction to know if something is of interest?

What's After Dark gaming?

What's the flea market - how do I participate?

What other cool stuff isn't mentioned? Any tips for first time attendees?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:
Hobbess wrote:
I've found the schedule after signing up which helps a little and I've now got some assumptions about what to expect. However, as an event that lists that "Our secondary focus is creating a friendly and inviting convention" I'd say the website isn't overly inviting to the newcomer.

That being said - I'm still signed up and looking forward to it!

I wouldn't expect too much regarding the friendly and inviting part, although I have not attended any other conventions to compare to. Not that there aren't friendly people there, of course there are, but with 400-500 gamers all in one (yes, only ONE (Robert?)) room it's easy to get lost in the crowd.

If you have signed up for a game (event): It was a bit different last year with the staggered times (and this year too?), but typically you will gather around the tables designated for your signed up game. A Fallcon "ambassador" will then do a rules explanation to the whole group with everyone hovering over one of the copies of the game. Then the group disperses to the 2,3,4 whatever copies of the game already setup and you play the game.

A good ambassador will help everyone find a seat at one of the games; some will even try to match up people with similar experience levels for the specific game. Other ambassadors basically leave it up to the group to divide themselves up.

The ambassadors are just volunteers, so of course, some are better than others. But I thank all of them for volunteering, as doing that job would be massively outside of my comfort zone. Although, now with the staggered start times for the games, I think they are handling just one or two tables at a time of the game, so then it wouldn't be so bad.

Oh, and be on time for any game you've signed up for, or you might lose your seat. Just hopefully, if that happens, the ambassador will say something to you before you've stood there for a whole 45 min rules explanation!

If you are doing Open Gaming:
Option 1: Go to the game library, sign out a game, and start setting it up. If you are there with friends and know the game, you're good to go.

If you need players, you grab one the designated cones (orange or red, whichever it will be) to indicate that you want/need more players. Even with the cone, you may need to wrangle people in... if you're quiet like me, that part is a bit tough.

If you need to learn the game, grab the other cone (orange or red, whichever it will be) to indicate that you need someone to teach you the game. Then, hopefully, an ambassador who knows the game you've chosen, will come around and teach it.

Option 2: Walk around and watch for tables with the "need players" cone, and invite yourself into the game. The hard part here is that half the time people have started the game but they still have their cone on the table. It would be good if people would be a bit more deliberate with the cones and pull them off them table, return them to the library desk, as soon as the game is full.

Ultimately, if you are there in a group you are fine. If you are there on your own, and are outgoing/not shy, you are fine. If you are there on your own, and are quiet/not outgoing, it's a bit more difficult, especially for the first year. Part of why it's difficult though, is because those who are there as a group tend to stick together as a group the whole time.

Other stuff:

Food.. not great, but you have to buy the food in the hall, or leave the property and head over to a near by restaurant. Expect about $10-15? per meal for the in-hall vendor?

Saturday evening auction: About 75% of the attendees will attend the auction (pulling that number out of the air, no guarantees on accuracy). It's really not just an auction, but an entertaining event (especially while Brent is auctioneering, ear plugs might be in order whenever he is near a mic). It runs for about 3 hours, and might be fun to watch, even if you aren't buying. Others are there to game, so they keep gaming while the auction is running.

Sunday morning flea market: You have exactly 60 min to find that grail game for a bargain, or maybe not so much a bargain, but it's a grail game. Or, a not-so-grail game, but for a bargain.

Anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:
Shane, Mr. Punter, and anybody else who is attending by themselves and not sure about how easy it will be to get into a game, I invite you to say hi to me! My plan is to be demo-ing Santorini for the majority of the convention, but happy to just chat if it's not the kind of game you're into.

(Look for the long-haired dude in the purple Roxley shirt, most likely at the purple Roxley booth).

(Or anyone wearing a FallCon hat on the floor, especially around the Open Gaming library, will be happy to help you connect with other gamers.)

mind_ranger wrote:
Hobbess wrote:

Technically FallCon does have a second room (and sometimes small other sections). The second room, where the auction is held, was used last year in the evenings as an adults-only, licensed open gaming area. Certain games are available there (think stuff like Cards Against Humanity) that aren't brought out in the family-friendly environment of the regular con (but you'll still find people playing serious/heavy Scythes and Agricolas in addition to the party gamers).

I don't recall if the above posts mentioned or not but there's traditionally massive social deduction games (Werewolf, Two Rooms and a Boom) and giant-sized games (King of Tokyo plus others I don't recall).

There's also a game designer area and playtesting and a panel/class on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SD40 wrote:
orikami wrote:
should you bring your own games to fallcon?
There is 1000+ games in the library, so you probably don't need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a lot of work to copy all that over.. just what I didn't feel like doing. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orikami wrote:

You don't need to, as was mentioned there are 1000s of games. I have done so in the past, but only if they needed copies for a hosted event. Not sure if they need any copies this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FallCon Gaming Convention
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
FallCon28 is October 16-18, 2015
mbmbmbmbmb
TheImp wrote:
orikami wrote:

You don't need to, as was mentioned there are 1000s of games. I have done so in the past, but only if they needed copies for a hosted event. Not sure if they need any copies this year.

Well, Not 1000's but over 1200 for sure, probably more than that, the rate I'm going

d
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hobbess wrote:
Thanks for the reply Darren - here's some more follow-on questions, some more pedantic than others, but hopefully pointing you in the direction of things that could help if posted on the website. (Not saying I need answers now, just being a squirrel myself to try and help)

Don't worry - I'm a squirrel too, and I am definitely taking notes on questions that we can make easier to answer.

Some of these might have already been answered by others, but I'll try to keep it all together here (and in my head )

Hobbess wrote:
How do Hosted Games work - how do I sign-up for these? I want to sign up for one but it's full, are more hosted games added during the weekend? If I sign up for one and decide to play something else is that cool, what should I do?

- Once you register, you will get a link to our schedule page. You can sign up there.
- We do try to add additional games where possible, or additional times, depending on the size of the waitlist, but most times it won't matter (see next)
- You are not obligated/forced to play games you signed up for. We get that there are lots of mitigating circumstances. There are always people looking to get into the game that didn't sign up.

Hobbess wrote:
Open games - how do I find a game, is there a good way to arrange something prior to the weekend, or to suggest games I'd like to play to find people?

- We have some pylons at the library. Orange means you are looking for players. Red means you need a teacher.
- You could post something in the guild or on our Facebook Page looking for a game as well.
- We are going to have a whiteboard at the library to try and help people organize games.
- Always looking for ideas here.

Hobbess wrote:
Is there a family section if I come with my kids?

- Funnily enough, we were just talking about kid specific games today, as we have over 40 children (under 12) registered so far.
We are exploring some options and will have more information posted on our FallCon.com page and our Facebook feed. (and I will try to remember to come back here and update as well.

Hobbess wrote:
Auction - what's auctioned? How do games get entered for the auction and how do I participate as a buyer or seller? Can you view the items prior to the auction to know if something is of interest?

- When you register you were given the option to add some auction slots to your registration (up to 10).
- we have found that this might have been missed, but we just worked out a system to let people buy slots (and t-shirts) outside the system, since EventBrite won't allow for updates of tickets after the sale. Check out this post for more information.

Hobbess wrote:

- In previous years, alcoholic beverages were only sold in the evenings and limited to one area of the convention hall. We are lifting this restriction this year as an experiment, based on attendee feedback. After Dark is what we called that area.

- The area will probably still exist, for the more rowdy games, but the layout is still being tweaked at this time.

Hobbess wrote:
What's the flea market - how do I participate?

- When you register you are given the option to add a flea market table to your registration ($25 for 2 lanyards, which allow you to sell games in the flea market). Sellers get in an hour earlier than other attendees, and get a table to sell whatever games they want.

Hobbess wrote:
What other cool stuff isn't mentioned? Any tips for first time attendees?

- Keep checking the schedule page for updates. One thing that we are going to have to improve upon for next year is getting updates of new events out to the attendees. right now it is a manual process.

- There are tonnes of volunteer gaming ambassadors in the open gaming area to help you find a game or some players. They will also teach if necessary. Find the Fedoras - they are your friend.

- There will be HOT games set up all convention. Codenames Pictures will be one of them, and usually, the SDJ winner and nominees are there as well. A post will be coming out soon about that on our feed.

Hopefully between my answers, and the others in the page, you have a better idea of what to expect.

My recommendation to a first-time attendee, is to find one of the volunteers and tell them you are a first timer. We will be glad to give you the nickel tour and help you get involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers Shane.

We are working on improving the food, but it is largely out of our control at this venue.

You will have 2 hours in the flea market this year, and there will be no scheduled games at the same time (Last year was a scheduling faux pas)

We are always striving to listen and learn, so if you have advice, please feel free to share. I can't promise to be able to solve all the issues, but we will definitely try to make it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FallCon wrote:

- In previous years, alcoholic beverages were only sold in the evenings and limited to one area of the convention hall. We are lifting this restriction this year as an experiment, based on attendee feedback. After Dark is what we called that area.

Whoa,..what? Limiting the boozers to their own 'room' seemed a pretty good compromise. A pretty small group based on my observations last year. What exactly is being 'lifted'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer (BGG Blog) TheBrewingGamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FallCon wrote:

I like this idea. I'm interested to see how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
FallCon wrote:

Whoa,..what? Limiting the boozers to their own 'room' seemed a pretty good compromise. A pretty small group based on my observations last year. What exactly is being 'lifted'?

The Convention hall will be able to sell alcoholic beverages during the convention, not just in the evening. And they will not be restricted to any spot in the convention.

As you said, it is a pretty small segment of the convention that is interested in drinking, so I don't see this as being a big impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FallCon wrote:
[q="flapjackmachine"][q="FallCon"]
As you said, it is a pretty small segment of the convention that is interested in drinking, so I don't see this as being a big impact.

Now now, it's not fair to publicly single out the FallCon Champions like this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mind_ranger wrote:
FallCon wrote:
[q="flapjackmachine"][q="FallCon"]

Now now, it's not fair to publicly single out the FallCon Champions like this...

You get to clean the monitor of Tea Paul.....Well done...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.