Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Goshorn
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played a 4 player game recently,
Do to a series of unfortunate disasters and a supply phase chit, 2 of the players were left with 0 and 2 population respectively and no money for the 7th round. Since all 8th round tokens are greater than three in value, even passing and taking 3 coin didn't help.

Both players suffered horribly in the last 2 rounds, one was able to generate a few luxury goods, but it was still not enough to make a bid in the 8th round.

So they were given no chance to increase population from round 6 forward.

Final scores were 0 and 6 respectively.

They will probably not play again, they both felt like the game played them and they not the game.

But it did lead to the conclusion that if you get hurt like that your just out of the game.

Any comments on the playability of the game? Or the strategies that they should have done differently?

Is this common?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Common? No. Definitely possible though.

Obviously they were inexperienced and/or were goaded into spending too much in earlier rounds or didn't focus enough on acquiring food directly or otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I've never seen anything like that, even in games with many newbies.

Quote:
Any comments on the playability of the game? Or the strategies that they should have done differently?

I've got to say that this is one of the most playable games I own...it's the only one I have in my collection that I'm happy to put on the table with up to 5 new players and still be able to foster a great, relatively quick game.

Unfortunately can't comment on what your opponents should have done differently since I don't know how they got into their mess in the first place. Sounds like they grossly overpaid for a few tiles, and/or didn't adequately prepare for the disasters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played quite a bit, often with completely new players, and nobody has ever been as completely hosed as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Goshorn
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would have understood perhaps just one, but two both being so terribly abused left a bad taste in my mouth. And I wasn't one of the two.

So far the game has played great as a 2 player game. Done that multiple times and there was never a real issue because there was so much available,
But I too was shocked watching them struggle the last two rounds with their final score already calculated after turn 6.

Seems like there should be some cheap tiles available to them or something.

Or perhaps it was just a bad series of disasters.

Spent all money and most of food to save from Tempest. Then lost population from plague. Then the supply event hit so lost even more population when couldn't pay the food.

It was funny, and yet I felt bad. Two of us kept our head above the water. But it was not nice that the could do nothing for two rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's part of the problem. Everyone know all the disasters will hit, if plague was so close to hitting, they shouldn't have saved so much from tempest (unless they were saving a food producer).

Edit: I've played this game a fair amount and it's usually with 4 or 5 (once 6-player) and I've never seen this happen. I think a couple of bad decisions into the heart of a perfect tempest was the cause of their woes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not common.

I haven't seen that situation, although I have ended the solo game with 0 population, thanks to horrible final feeding rounds and disasters. And I believe in more than one game I have been unable to buy anything in one or both of the C rounds, due to being short of cash. This game can feel brutal, and not everyone appreciates that quality.

Hopefully those players might be able to reflect on the decisions they made that put them in that position. That's not to say they should have decided differently in their learning game. They did the best they could, with the knowledge they had at that moment. But perhaps they can see that it (almost certainly) wasn't just random luck that led to that situation.

People are points, and income. That means it is absolutely critical to maintain at least a decent population throughout the game, if you possibly can. As a beginning player, that might mean focusing more on food generation, or plague prevention.

It can also be wise to pass in round B if you are low on cash, or if people are bidding tiles up too high. That way you'll have money available for the juicy C tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:

It can also be wise to pass in round B if you are low on cash, or if people are bidding tiles up too high. That way you'll have money available for the juicy C tiles.

Or D tiles! I believe I may have won a game with 0 or 1 population by buying the tile that kills 4 population and lets you use your best score instead of the worst (as long as you have over 20 luxuries stockpiled).

I love the expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Goshorn
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you hit the answer Alex P.

As newbies they were so focused on the tiles and saving them that they should have sacrificed a few just to save some population so that they would generate coin.

Thanks everybody. I feel better about all of it now.

Though I'm looking into trying a variant where when you pass you get a graduated amount of coin depending on the tile letter.
E.g.
rounds for tiles with an A. Give 2 coin.
Rounds for tiles with a B give 4 coin
Rounds for tiles with a C give 6 coin

It might mitigate some of the issue.

But I think learning when to sacrifice land and bldgs to save stuff for either bidding or food for population is the real lesson here.

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest against that variant. Some cities (civs) begin with very little money (Mycenae and Rhodes, which begin with 4 and 3 respectively and there are at least two others that begin with 5) and are frequently obliged to pass once in A - reducing their take would really hurt them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.