Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I wonder if DVG has ever considered a mini-expansion with some Chinese themed (like the Taiwan defense) campaigns along with new counters for Chinese jets and sites?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christel Puech
France
Sauve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A mini-expansion with more news Bandits updated will be nice too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think I might save DVG the trouble with my own little variant of HL:CAO, you two.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23581028#23581028
Come on down and evaluate the premise, if you please! And stay tuned for a post that will include a list of AI-controlled aircraft, both friendly and enemy alike!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Olsen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Gerald: I took a look at your expansion plans and WOW, it is ever ambitious. You've obviously given this a lot of thought and research. I hope you have the time to realize this vision and have people enjoy it. For my part, I don't think I could handle HL:CAO with 5 times as many counters!

If I could change one thing, it would be to make the campaigns more interactive. As it stands, the campaigns are all the same game-play wise, except for the overall difficulty level. What I would like is to enhance the recon/infrastructure system where the campaign gets harder or easier depending on the results of the missions.

For instance, in the Syrian campaign you roll after destroying any target worth more than 3 victory points, and if it's above a certain number it triggers Russian intervention, whereby every mission thereafter faces two extra sites or planes.

Every campaign could have something different like that, and unique, just to make them more distinct from one another. It wouldn't require a whole box full of extra counters as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Reston
United States
Albquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks, Ernie. I just need to work out the Campaigns, Friendly/Enemy Aircraft, plus the nice little Bonus Single Missions. Then when I've created the images of the Aircraft/Weapons/Targets, etc. I'll get this off into the playtesting bits.

I plan to do more than simply Campaign events to spice things up...
Quote:
And the big one is the initial strength of Friendly and Enemy aircraft plus their Pilot Quality plus the initial Air Defense Site strength. The initial strength will decrease over time, and one side will have to alternate what Aircraft or Air Defense Sites they use.
For instance, in one of my planned Campaigns, Operation Rolling Fire (Korean Peninsula - 1995)... You destroy 40 out of 55 MiG-29s, they'll instead use MiG-23s or other Bandits in higher quantities in their place. While destroying lower end aircraft will have the enemy resort to using better ones. Destroying airfields, forward air refueling points and aircraft carriers will also contribute to enemy aircraft losses.

And this here may answer your question regarding the Recon/Infra Tracks.

Quote:
New Campaign Track Sheet Rules
[Air]
If the Counter is Far Left - You're in for pain, as the Enemy possesses more Bandits in the Center and Approach Areas. Check the Track Sheet for the designated modifier. Your Pilots suffer +1 Stress at the end of each Day.
If the Counter is Far Right - Enemy Bandits will be reduced drastically in both the Center AND Approach Areas. Check the Track Sheet for the designated modifier. Your Pilots suffer -1 Stress at the end of each Day.
[Infra]
If the Counter is Far Left - It'll be tough going to destroy Targets, as they will take more Hits. Check the Track Sheet for the designated modifier. -3 SOs per Day.
If the Counter is Far Right - You'll make destroying Targets such a breeze, as they'll take less hits to destroy. Check the Track Sheet for the designated modifier. +3 SOs per Day.
[Intel]
If the Counter is Far Left - Sites will litter the Center and Approach Areas. Check the Track Sheet for the designated modifier. Your Pilots suffer +1 Stress at the end of each Day.
If the Counter is Far Right - The Center and Approach Areas will be lacking in Sites. Your Pilots suffer -1 Stress at the end of each Day.
[Recon]
If the Counter is Far Left - You'll only choose 1 Mission Card at random.
If the Counter is Far Right - You can choose any Mission Card you want.

Instead of Victory Points, it's instead going to consist of Mission Efficiency Points (MEPs). MEPs will be more for bragging rights than outright success. And also, the final Campaign Outcome is determined by how many Missions you successfully complete. If you read it thoroughly and checked out the links on HL:CAO's predecessors, you'd see where this is going. Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.