Popular Tags: [View All]
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
Four more years! #Cespedes #LGM
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, thanks to everyone who's encouragement in my last thread and whose willingness to help me spend my money has returned me to the Memoir fold. Now that I am back and have a few basic games under my belt, I'm a little confused as to how to "go big." By that I mean get 2 or more people on either side of the table and go to war.

First, the inventory. I now have in my possession:
Base Game, Winter/Desert board, Overlord, Eastern Front, Winter Wars, Mediteranean, Pacific, and Terrain Pack.

Do I have everything I need to "go big?" If not, what bits are missing?

Is there a good "how to" guide or video to jump start the adventure?

What about scenarios? I see the expansion rulesbooks have some breakthrough and overlord scenerios? Is there a link to others? What about all the out of print battlemaps, etc? Is that an issue or something you can work around?

Today is Wed. I want to launch the first offensive this weekend. Help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overlord basically requires 2 base games or substitutes, because you need everything double. So far you have most of it as you have one complete basegame and enough expansions for units, map and tiles (as substitute).

If its you first time to play overlord you can play a simple scenario like moyland wood I think you have enough tiles with the use of the terrain pack.

you also have the deck from overlord thus I think you can play this weekend. Just make sure you can set up the scenario with what you have

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. So to play Overlord you need a second set of base game command cards, tokens, and plastic figs? The overlord cards and tokens included in the Overlord expansion are in addition to the need for a second base game?

(I'm totally willing to acquire a second base game if needed, by the way, but it probably won't be before the weekend).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
Thanks for the reply. So to play Overlord you need a second set of base game command cards, tokens, and plastic figs? The overlord cards and tokens included in the Overlord expansion are in addition to the need for a second base game?

(I'm totally willing to acquire a second base game if needed, by the way, but it probably won't be before the weekend).

The Overlord cards are the only cards you will use. Not the base game cards. You should check the rules yourself before you sit down to play since you can play 1-3 cards per turn.

You have substitute figures in the form of chits in the Overlord box.

You have a desert board that can substitute for the second base game.

You only might be short terrain, but you could substitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Breakthrough wise, you are missing the Memoir '44: Breakthrough boards. You can't really substitute those, without a giant printer. Alternatively, there is Memoir '44: D-Day Landings which has several preprinted maps to use (or combine with more expansions/basegames than are prudent to play one gigantic all day long game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
You should check the rules yourself before you sit down to play since you can play 1-3 cards per turn.

Yes, this, of course! I was planning to do so this evening and/or tomorrow evening. I was just afraid of getting into the rules, with the weekend fast approaching, only to discover I was missing some crucial component. It sounds like that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Overlord rules are relatively quick and easy to digest. Should have no trouble. Just think of it as a double wide board, whereas Breakthrough boards are sort of like double deep.

I like both, but Overlord is great if you have 6-8 people. You can play most overlord games with desert board & Overlord chits. Many scenarios available on Days of Wonder's Memoir online site.

Eventually you will go all out crazy and start playing "Overthrough" scenarios which are double (or triple) wide and double deep.

Bwuuhahahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Overlord, I would merely add that the Overlord Card Deck is helpful in playing the game correctly, as the information on each card addresses the Overlord application to the game. It also comes with chits that can be used in lieu of having to buy plastic pieces. I purchased a lot of additional plastic through eBay, but don't know if they are as readily sold much through that mode any more.

We typically play 2-player Overlord but, regardless of how many players you have, always keep in mind the hierarchical nature of the game - Commander, Field Generals, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.