Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Belisle
United States
Prosser
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like folks might be upset or passing on this if it is just going to be a LOTR LCG clone. To me it would be great if it were. Cool if it wasn't, but if it is just a retheme it'd be better to me than LOTR.

I might know more about the lore and story of LOTR, but I don't like the theme restrictions on LOTR LCG. Eagles are not going to be delving into any mines or dwarves mixing well with elves. If AH LCG is a clone, you'd be playing a great game without having to suspend your disbelief too drastically to the point it breaks and you are playing a story that doesn't make sense. The eagles, dwarves, and elves in the example I brought up would simply be different investigators that can team up with anybody and go virtually anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it actually a clone if they've learned from mistakes and make this game better?

Also, even if it is a clone, people will prefer one setting over the other. While I think LOTR > Lovecraft Mythos, I wasn't impressed with the LOTR LCG. I actually think that the LCG is way better with the Lovecraft Mythos retheme.

To each their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We already know it's not a LOTR clone, so I don't understand the point of this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
SeerMagic wrote:
We already know it's not a LOTR clone, so I don't understand the point of this thread.

I agree, let's discuss whether this and/or Lotr is dying instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Melenyk
United States
Bellaire
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Umm

You since you brought up the thread?

It is just speculation. The closest piece of reference we have is LOTR LCG for this game. So naturally it gets compared to it and some people will draw stronger conclusions than others about the parallels.

Then they vocalize it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
We know quite a bit about AH LCG now and it's very different from LOTR LCG. Pretty much the similarities that I see is that they are both co op LCGs. Other than that these two games go about those things very differently. That's nice because I plan on playing both since I've been a LOTR LCG fan for years now.

I think this is something that needs to be stressed for casual browsers of this game's forum. Just from the released news we've seen so far we can see that this game is not just a LOTR LCG clone. It's very much it's own game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, weird topic. We already know that this game is very different from LotR. So why deliberately try to spread false impressions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so doesn't matter. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused. The only thing similar is that it's co-op?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
I'm confused. The only thing similar is that it's co-op?

and it has cards.. with art.. and by ffg.. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any LotR LCG fans upset about this. As a fan myself I am pretty stoked for this to come out. I'm hoping the hype and newness of the Arkham LCG will make it easier to find other people to play with, which is an issue with LotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

Pretty much this.

Maybe the OP could explain himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They both have Hobbits right? If not, I'm OUT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Belisle
United States
Prosser
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Pretty much this.

Maybe the OP could explain himself.

My thought process on this was based on the initial release of information, plus reading thoughts of other users in the similarity of building the scenario decks and the treachery cards. I see the investigating bit to be very similar to exploring, in that your investigator has their set "willpower" that goes up against the location value (known) and chaos bag (unknown like what comes out of the deck in LOTR). Even having to buy 2 core sets for 4 players, and the deluxe expansions with 6 adventure packs following them to complete a cycle/campaign.

I am still learning more about the game myself, as are we all, at various levels of time devoted to learning more about it. I guess I just hadn't drawn to the conclusion yet that it is not a LOTR clone. I do understand that some mechanics are quite different.

Maybe I'm just excited about the idea of the game and not articulating well enough to simply say that even if it were a direct 100% clone, I could see it being more enjoyable on a thematic level as it has less barriers to cross to be more immersive. I bring up the LOTR's Eagles in the mines again to illustrate how it breaks the immersion, as it is nonsensical thematically, so I would never create a deck for it. I could get equivalent abilities on an investigator and travel to absolutely any location, travel with any other investigator, or defeat/lose to any monster and theme isn't broken. That's what has me excited about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't noticed these upset people. Doesn't bother me, I consider it a plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
1066, Tears to Many Mothers, coming to Kickstarter!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bcbandit wrote:
Maybe I'm just excited about the idea of the game and not articulating well enough to simply say that even if it were a direct 100% clone, I could see it being more enjoyable on a thematic level as it has less barriers to cross to be more immersive. I bring up the LOTR's Eagles in the mines again to illustrate how it breaks the immersion, as it is nonsensical thematically, so I would never create a deck for it. I could get equivalent abilities on an investigator and travel to absolutely any location, travel with any other investigator, or defeat/lose to any monster and theme isn't broken. That's what has me excited about this game.

This is FFG so thematically you'll still be getting star spawn, rats, cultists and ghouls holding hands/tentacles and teaming up against the investigators. If you're cool with that you might want to reexamine your feelings about eagles in mines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Lawrence
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I've played LOTR LCG for several years and not once have I ever seen an eagle in a mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
What's wrong with an eagle in a mine? Maybe they couldn't find a canary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Id call it a LOTR replacement since they are loosing lotr license.

BUT

I am very excited for this. After playing it at Gencon, it shares a lot of the same things LOTR has.

Bad guys get cards flipped up with effects on their turn that screw the good guys, you advance through story cards, you explore locations, equip gear to get better stats, pulling monsters from locations to fight, allies being able to help fight them, etc Im not saying its a clone, but people saying its in no way related are very misinformed.

I spoke to FFG at Gencon and they said this is a replacement for LOTR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:

[citation needed]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:
scourn1 wrote:

[citation needed]

Hearsay was adamant about it, and Conjecture totally backed him up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
.....since they are loosing lotr license.

Is that confirmed? Could a re-license for a further/extended period be agreed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boom04 wrote:
scourn1 wrote:
.....since they are loosing lotr license.

Is that confirmed? Could a re-license for a further/extended period be agreed?

C'mon people, can't you read? He said they're loosing it, not losing it. They'll still be able to make LotR games, they just won't be as tight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the gameplay as different between the two games even though they are both co-op and solo-playable, but I think the concern is that if a shiny new game comes out to pull enough players away from LotR, then LotR is at risk of being discontinued due to fewer people getting into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
BathTubNZ wrote:
scourn1 wrote:

[citation needed]

Hearsay was adamant about it, and Conjecture totally backed him up.

They told me (confidentially, of course) that FFG is loosing the Lovecraft license, too! This game is dying before its ever alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.