Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Just
United States
Yorba LInda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a move order and activate a parachute squad with 5 movement points. After using 3 movement points the squad has an op fire action played against it and is fired upon. During the fire action the squad breaks and its movement points drop to 1. How many movement points does the squad have left to move?

I have searched the rules looking on "move", "fire", "breaks". The closest I've come to an answer is O21.2. If one of these units breaks along the way, it will usually stop the entire group dead in its tracks. This suggests to me that you would subtract used movement points from the already used points. But the word "usually" implies that it is possible, but not likely, that a broken unit could continue to move.

So for this example. The squad used 3 movement points. They now only have 1 movement point and so must stop.

The other plausible but less likely view is, once broken whatever happened before is ignored and you have 1 movement point to use.

Any suggestion on the proper rule would be helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The squad has zero MP left .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the example on page 16 of the rulebook and focus on section H, where a movement value changes. Also, from the section on move orders:

Quote:
Units that are activated to Move can move

from hex to hex across the map, expending

MPs in each new hex that they enter. A unit

has as many MPs to spend during a Move

Order as its current Movement number,

So your squad has a movement of 1, but has already spent more than that, so it's done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could that unit assault fire after breaking if it has a weapon with enclosed FP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Just
United States
Yorba LInda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in agreement with all of you. MP is now zero. The squad has 1 MP and has used 3. But there doesn't seem to be a rule specifically stating this. Although, it seems to be the most logic way to play a moving unit that breaks. My second option was a very unlikely understanding of movement.

The way I think of this is the unit "knows" how far it has moved during this turn. It's movement ability has been broken and those been greatly reduced.

If anyone finds a rule that states this I'd appreciate it but I think this is the only way it could be played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broken units can not fire weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic rule... blush

Sorry, new to the game.

Thanks Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
JustKen wrote:

The way I think of this is the unit "knows" how far it has moved during this turn. It's movement ability has been broken and those been greatly reduced.

If anyone finds a rule that states this I'd appreciate it but I think this is the only way it could be played.

It's pretty explicit in the example in the rulebook I mentioned:

Quote:
H—Having left Biermann’s hex, the Rifle Squad’s Movement becomes 4 again and, since it has

already spent 5 MP, is now done for the Turn barring any further Actions.

We can see that the example takes into account both the current, modified movement value and the MP already expended earlier in the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
JustKen wrote:
The squad has 1 MP and has used 3. But there doesn't seem to be a rule specifically stating this.

Rule O21.1 Movement Costs
"IMPORTANT: A unit may not enter a hex unless it has at least as many MPs remaining as the total cost to enter that hex."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:
And here is a wrong assumption I made a few years ago: If a group of units is moving together, and one of them is killed(removed from the board) during this movement, they must all stop. I used to think the survivors could keep moving because their movement points were unaffected. In fact they all must stop because all the original movers in that group are no longer present.

Interesting case!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP might be wondering why the rules don't simply state a moving broken unit has to stop. There are some cases where a moving unit may have a bonus added to its movement rate such as being in the same hex as a leader or moving onto a road hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.