Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some nice observations, Paul.

To your comment about attrition eating up the northern armies, I just haven't seen this to be a weakness for the Union in the way you describe. It seems attrition is much worse on the Confederacy especially if the Davis player chooses to keep his forces consolidated. The Lincoln player can absorb the losses much easier due to the ratio of Union to Confederate reinforcements over time. That being said, consolidation of the Confederate forces at the right time can result in a major battle win for the South and a large SW point swing.

To me, the best way to attack with the Union is to keep the battle size to medium. This way a loss does not result in a SW swing, but it will hurt the South more in that they will not be able to replace the losses as quickly as the North. Wear em' down, protect your rear and be patient. No need to win the game in one turn.

For the Confederacy, you are right. They must be aggressive early and then pick and choose their fights carefully. If the Union player lets down his guard and loses Washington, then so much the better for Davis and the delay tactic you describe.

I have played FtP only a dozen times, so I am by no means an expert, but one of the remarkable things to me is how well balanced the game is between equally competent players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Hey, Joe! Got any live ones!?", (but Joe had no grenades). The tank rumbled nearer. Johnny stuffed explosives into his gloves, burrowed deep in the muck and waited; then deftly slapped them into a greasy tread axle and spun for cover; snap-firing...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread here. Limited experience with FtP but definitely agree that dispersing the Southern forces and relying on interior lines to quickly concentrate around opportunity offers incrementally hopeful gains through flexibility and speed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Hey, Joe! Got any live ones!?", (but Joe had no grenades). The tank rumbled nearer. Johnny stuffed explosives into his gloves, burrowed deep in the muck and waited; then deftly slapped them into a greasy tread axle and spun for cover; snap-firing...
mbmbmbmbmb
Precisely. Delay underpinned every Southern hope.

Perhaps it is even true that the South must have lost the war, at least militarily. Still, it is interesting to note that the North absolutely had to win the war by taking the fight into the South while sustaining tremendous supply lines, yet the South only had to outlast the North's will to fight on while enjoying more favorable invasion routes in northern Virginia and better internal supply lines.

The South maintained a hope that with enough victories in Virginia (much could be lost in other places but not there if Northern morale and Republican incumbents were to suffer) the North would elect Southern sympathizing Democrats who could bring an end to the war favorable to the South.

The South also may have hoped that the displacement of able bodied soldiers from Northern factories would slow production levels there, whereas the plantation system of the South allowed their men to be perpetually available to fight at all times without interrupting vital production levels.

I suppose it is fair to say that, however unlikely, the best hope for Southern victory lay in the foreign political sphere, prior to the Emancipation Proclamation; that an accumulation of decisive early Southern victories on the battlefield would directly convert to foreign nations quickly recognizing the independence of the South.

The further hope that some foreign power would actually intervene on the South's behalf, disrupting the Northern naval dominance while providing the South with sustainable economic and material support for their continued delaying strategy. Even this hope is admittedly slim however because potentially foreign allies had already either outlawed slavery or were vehemently opposed to it. The South surely must lose hope as the North successfully pivots to a 'just cause' war position.

Regardless, the key to all of these Southern hopes is delay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.