Subject: Solo Deck Builder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I'm trying to decide on a good deck builder to play solo. I already have Legendary Encounters Alien. I also have Marvel, with dark city and paint the town red. They are good for a quick romp, but I am looking for something progressive.

I have 3 in mind, and I am looking for some opinions on them. First being Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set another being Shadowrun: Crossfire which I both believe evolve with each playthrough and have character development?

The other I was thinking about was XenoShyft: Onslaught which I believe is more like the Legendary games with standalone playthroughs?

If I was to get one for this weekend which one should I go with, I'm pretty torn between the three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for the other 2 but I love Shadowrun. It can be a challenging game, and the deck-building elements is slight ... meaning you don't end up with a fat deck of cards. You tend to buy the cards you want next and you may only cycle your deck 2 or 3 times in the game. But its loads of fun - very tactical. You will likely be playing multiple hands though (some soloists don't like to do that). I tend to play with 2 runners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
cafin8d wrote:
I can't speak for the other 2 but I love Shadowrun. It can be a challenging game, and the deck-building elements is slight ... meaning you don't end up with a fat deck of cards. You tend to buy the cards you want next and you may only cycle your deck 2 or 3 times in the game. But its loads of fun - very tactical. You will likely be playing multiple hands though (some soloists don't like to do that). I tend to play with 2 runners.

I figured I would have to play 2 handed, it doesn't bother me. I play 2 handed with both legendary games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday for a purely solo experience.
Rune Age would be great too! It has cooperative / solo scenarios as well as VS scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
emodiu5 wrote:
Rune Age would be great too! It has cooperative / solo scenarios as well as VS scenarios.

I have Friday. Does Rune Age evolve with each play? The thing that was drawing me to Pathfinder and Shadowrun was the character development through each play. I do see Rune Age is much cheaper than the other two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Rise of the dicerolls, I really wanted to like this game but it (too me) fell flat. Game play is pretty much flip a card (timer deck) flip another card and roll a dice to see if you pass/fail. I've played it a half dozen times and now it's sitting on my shelf.

Now the deck crafting after the scenarios was interesting, with a limited deck size of both numbers of cards and types of cards you thinned down to the limitations after each set allowing you to refine your starting deck each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
emodiu5 wrote:

I have Friday. Does Rune Age evolve with each play? The thing that was drawing me to Pathfinder and Shadowrun was the character development through each play. I do see Rune Age is much cheaper than the other two.

No, Rune Age doesn't have that sort of advancement between scenarios. It's quite fun, though. The expansion adds quite a bit too, if you find that you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
First being Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set another being Shadowrun: Crossfire which I both believe evolve with each playthrough and have character development?

I'm not sure Shadowrun would be the game you're looking for, at least not without the expansion. There are only a few scenarios out of the box, and only one is immediately accessible. The others require quite a bit of grinding the first scenario for karma upgrades before they're doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rudis21 wrote:
I have 3 in mind, and I am looking for some opinions on them. First being Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set another being Shadowrun: Crossfire which I both believe evolve with each playthrough and have character development?

The other I was thinking about was XenoShyft: Onslaught which I believe is more like the Legendary games with standalone playthroughs?
I'd definitely avoid PACG, especially if you want to play it solo - it's boring as hell.

Shadowrun: Crossfire is better, but may also get tedious after a while. It's better with multiple players (and the expansion).

So, I think Xenoshyft is the best of three options you proposed.

Have you considered Mage Knight Board Game? It isn't a 'pure' deckbuilder, but it has some aspects of it. It also doesn't have a campaign mode, but great character advancement, and it's a terrific solo game with excellent replayability. Play time's long and rules are quite complex, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really disliked Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set from my app experience. Much too random, repetitive, and not that interesting.

I don't know the other games you mentioned. But if you are willing to wait until November, I would strongly advise Aeon's End, which will play very differently from what you're used to.

Plus you can play purely solo (only character) or between 2-4 characters, controlling them all.

The game is very progressive, as the opponent (Nemesis) has a deck composed of three tiers, and grows at the same as you do. No shuffling makes it less painful, too. Almost not random, as the cards you can buy are determined before the game starts, and are always available (fixed market).

But that doesn't make it easy

Pros :
- Multiples characters you can be.
- Scales from 1-4 characters (and potentially players).
- Multiple Nemesis to confront, with each its own playstyle (you can really feel the difference).
- The game scales, so no screwage on turn 1.
- No shuffling, unless you play against The Crooked Mask.
- Tough decisions, a lot of interactivity between players/characters, and between Nemesis and characters.

Cons :
- Not out until November 2016.
- Market à la Dominion (you might not enjoy it).
- A lot of tracking, especially with 4 characters.
- The artwork might not be to your taste (comiics rendition of Cthulhu inspired mythos).
- Set up and breakdown time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xenoshyft is a great deck builder, but I think it is better with multiple people. Being able to add cards to help your parter out is lost in the solo game and it adds a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
jhaelen wrote:
rudis21 wrote:

I'd definitely avoid PACG, especially if you want to play it solo - it's boring as hell.

Shadowrun: Crossfire is better, but may also get tedious after a while. It's better with multiple players (and the expansion).

So, I think Xenoshyft is the best of three options you proposed.

Have you considered Mage Knight Board Game? It isn't a 'pure' deckbuilder, but it has some aspects of it. It also doesn't have a campaign mode, but great character advancement, and it's a terrific solo game with excellent replayability. Play time's long and rules are quite complex, though.

I have Mage Knight, and I love it. It just takes up a ton of space and a beast to get ready. Same reason I'm not just playing that, kingdom death or shadows of brimstone more. Was looking for something progressive, and something that is quick to get going
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Galactic Strike Force which is super-fiddly, but fun.
It's the only game I've played solo so far.

And there's the obvious recommendation for solo deckbuilding, which is Friday.

Neither of them offer 'progress' between games, but they both have varying difficulty levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
Xenoshyft is a great deck builder, but I think it is better with multiple people. Being able to add cards to help your parter out is lost in the solo game and it adds a lot.

This is true, but I have great fun with it because it doesn't have that "restricting" (probably not the right word, forgive me) the more scenario driven games have, and I get the same feeling you mentioned by playing more than one team. I know a lot of people don't like that in solo games, but I love it, and if it's up your alley it makes Xenoshyft a fantastically fun experience. Four leaves you with a little much to keep track of sometimes when you are new to it, but after getting a few games under your belt, it is an awesome way to play. And you don't lose anything that way - the game is built as one of the MOST cooperative of the cooperative games I have played. Even in multiplayer games we are: "Okay, so I have two bombs I could use to wipe those last two out, but I'm out of amror and don't have my Sparkjumper this round and my Ranger is already wounded so I need to make sure I don't let too much through in my lane. I might be able to toss you a medkit - let's see how the next combat goes." "Oh, don't worry, I held back my paratrooper so I can toss it down on someone's line." "Sweet!"

In a solo game playing four teams I find myself literally talking out loud and howling ,"Jonesy! We need a medic for Jonesy on line two!" It's awesome.

It also already has a few expansions which add a ton to the game, and the stand alone expansion/sequel? is due soon. (I Kickstarter it because I got so much joy from the first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Presley
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, did anyone mention Arctic Scavengers: Base Game+HQ+Recon? I just got it and am enjoying it. It plays up to 5 I think but I've only played it solo so far and dig it.

*Edit: I'm sorry I may have jumped the gun. Neither game I mentioned progresses, and there are no different scenarios, but plenty of variation in what cards are available (mercenaries to hire, equipment, upgrades, etc.). Still worth looking into, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.