Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu» Forums » Rules

Subject: questions on relics and sealing gates with cultists rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so 2 questions:

1. the rulebook states that 'during a turn, a player may play relic cards'. to me, the wording seems a bit ambiguous. does this mean that a player can play relic card even if he is not the active player of the turn; or is it merely the stating that the active player has the option of using a relic? if it is the former, doesnt this seem a little op?

2. i didnt seem to read anything about a player being able/unable to close a gate if there are still cultists on it. thematically, it would seem appropriate for the player to defeat the cultists guarding the gate first before being able to seal it, but it would be nice to have an official answer.

tia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anh Tú Tran
Canada
Laval
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The former. It might seem OP, but it still represents a risk (sanity roll). It is not uncommon in games to have this kind of card (Instant) or abilities (reactions).

Even better, in the original Pandemic board game, there is no such cost.

2) The player only have to be at the gate's location to close it. In the Pandemic series, every action point is important. Moreover, becoming Insane even lowers your action pool by 1, which would be critical. Thematically, a lot was adapted to every aspects of the original Pandemic game to provide a well balanced challenge. However, it might be a very good variant ! I'll try it next time.

Still, IMHO, Reign of Cthulhu is harder when the situation is bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anh is correct in both cases. Players can player relic cards they possess at any time, even when it is not their turn as the active player. And yes, you can seal a gate even if there are cultists there. Remember to remove 1 cultist from each location in that town when a gate is sealed as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
travelbug wrote:
thematically, it would seem appropriate for the player to defeat the cultists guarding the gate first before being able to seal it, but it would be nice to have an official answer.

I don't think of the cultists as "guarding" the gate, but rather just trying to form a circle in whatever location they happen to be at. While they're out front trying to recruit a 3rd member, you can casually sneak around back and seal the gate. Heck, maybe they don't even realize a gate is nearby, since they haven't done the investigations that the players have.

But that's just me. I'm no Lovecraft expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.