Hide
11 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: First game with new players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Smith
msg tools
Hi BGG. I just got eldritch horror and all the expansions, (cardboard crack.) I played two games solo to get the rules down myself so i can host a game this weekend. I played with random old ones myself.

1. My question is do any of you veteran players have suggestions for old one choice, game setup process you would use, and extra mechanic integration that you'd suggest to assure a more fun game for first timers. They're not new to board-games, or even complex board games, just this particular one. So i'd like a challenge, some good flavor and theme to get them hooked in, but am planning on avoiding the expansion's extra boards.

2. And if there is already a thread on commonly missed rules mistakes, if you could direct me to it my search skills failed horribly.

3. I ran across a link for alternate reference cards on the forum here, would you suggest using those instead? most likely we'll be playing with 6 players.

and a somewhat unrelated question. I found my biggest challenge when I played solo was getting places. Both games I'd have a rumor, or a location I had to get to asap because it was completely screwing me, and both games moving max distance (1 per turn, sometimes 2 if it happen to have good rail/sea position attached) it took 5-6 turns to get to the location, and even longer one time when I needed two investigators to link up and trade clues. so it was a huge chunk of the mythos cards just to solve the first crisis, before even getting to the mystery. Is there maybe some form of faster movement I might have missed in the rules or cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I don't have answers to your questions but I am a beginner too and have noticed that getting around the map is one of the bigger challenges when only using two investigators. Once I have played a couple more games I think I may try with three investigators with the revised reference card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sullivan
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Azathoth is an easy one, as it doesn't have any extra rules when doom reaches zero, though there is an annoying "unsolve a mystery" card that my group removes, as it's not a fun mechanic for us. I'd avoid a prelude for simplicity and there is a yellow hard (tenticle) mythos card that makes you discard one of everything then lose most of your health and sanity. Once again, we remove that as we don't find it fun.

2) I'm not sure of a thread, but make sure you know how bonuses work. They don't stack. For example if you have a gun that gives you +3 strength in a combat encounter and the axe, which gives you +2 strength in a combat encounter and a recollection ability, you DO NOT get +5 strength. You get the HIGHER of the two bonuses BUT you get the passive ability of all items (in this case the reroll).

3) I'd use the standard ones. The alternate ones are to make it harder iirc.

Let me know if I can help withe anything else!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oded K
msg tools
1. Azathoth is the simplest AO (not necessarily the easiest, but least complex) so I'd pick him for a first game.

Definitely make sure you use Forsaken Lore and the focus mechanic.

The research encounter that removes a mystery is tough and can be discouraging, but not as punishing as it looks - During most of the game, it does nothing, and it's been my experience that once you start solving mysteries, the mystery solving becomes much faster.

What I mean is that usually in my games, the first mystery takes 6-7 rounds to solve, the the subsequent ones take 1-2 rounds to solve, so losing a mystery really means losing a round or two.

One more suggestion - If you go with picking the investigators, I would suggest you use Charlie. He is incredibly useful in a group while at the same time being simple to use - freeing you to help the other players.

2. I know that there is a thread on common rule mistakes, but I'm not any better than you when it comes to searching these forums. I'm sure someone will post it very soon.

3. The alternate reference cards are not recommended for beginner players, they tend to make the game more difficult.

As for your unrelated question - When playing solo, I would recommend using more than one investigator. Personally, I enjoy playing with 4 (when I play solo). One reason is the one you referred to - you can cover the world far more effectively with 4 investigators.

But the main reason I prefer playing with 4 is that the main challenge in the game is finding the most effective way to coordinate the various investigators effectively. I find that I spend the most time in my games planning at the start of a round. Deciding who will be the first investigator, who will go where, trade what etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's best to prepare so,

Let the group know that everyone will die or go insane before the end of the world...

... but to answer one of your questions specifically, Azathoth is actually a very hard old one in the base set, BUT he has the least mechanics to fiddle with, so it's a great first choice.

... and since you solo'd a few times, talk them through the turn order. One guy in my group STILL wants to have an encounter immediately after he takes his actions (without realizing it's a different phase).

... oh, and even though you feel it's hopeless, sometimes you can still pull victory out of a hat by the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Nolastnamegiven
Denmark
flag msg tools
Here are a couple of lists of common rule mistakes:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1238893/common-rule-mistake...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1086684/youre-doing-it-all-...

As others have already mentioned, covering the board can be difficult at low player counts. Silas Marsh offers increased mobility and a character with high lore can use the Ritual spell Plumb the Void to teleport themselves or others around the world:

http://eldritchhorrorgame.wikia.com/wiki/Plumb_the_Void

Your best chance of obtaining it is to visit Buenos Aires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Smith
msg tools
Thank you everyone. I knew this would be the place to get me straightened out on where to start.
All your advice is much appreciated.
I'll start with Az old one, and make myself charlie. Definitely no prelude.

I think i might remove a mythos i got in my single player game that impaired 3 skills on every investigator. Maybe that's wimpy of me, but the rage was real when i drew it. Losing is ok, but that was a big cuthulu tentacle slap. Lol.

*oh, i just thought of a question that I've seen answered both ways so I'm not sure which is right. If an investigator is on a space with a monater and defeats it, can they then do an encounter for that space, or does battling the monster count as their encounter for that turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dannyslag wrote:
Thank you everyone. I knew this would be the place to get me straightened out on where to start.

I think i might remove a mythos i got in my single player game that impaired 3 skills on every investigator. Maybe that's wimpy of me, but the rage was real when i drew it. Losing is ok, but that was a big cuthulu tentacle slap. Lol.

*oh, i just thought of a question that I've seen answered both ways so I'm not sure which is right. If an investigator is on a space with a monater and defeats it, can they then do an encounter for that space, or does battling the monster count as their encounter for that turn?

If you defeat a monster you fight the next. If there are no monsters left, you get a free extra encounter on that location (of your choice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Smith
msg tools
Spukky wrote:
Dannyslag wrote:

If you defeat a monster you fight the next. If there are no monsters left, you get a free extra encounter on that location (of your choice).

Ah I did that wrong then, i was playing that fighting the monsters even if you defeat them was the end of your encounter phase. The right way of still getting an encounter if you defeat them all makes more sense though. TY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the new players play non-spellcasters. Sure, it can make the game lopsided, but it's better than players having MORE problems getting a grip on the game.

Take out text-heavy Rumor cards. Again, that might imbalance the game, but the game will play faster. Having conscious players improves their ability to win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just wanted to comment on your unrelated question. I too learned to play the game solo with 2 characters and had the same problem. When you play 4 characters there are clues and gates everywhere and more characters (obviously) so there is always someone near by. When playing less characters maybe the spawn rate for clues should be the same for 4 characters? It feels like when playing 2 characters you are making the game even harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.