GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,789 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Help building mission deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can anyone help me understand how to put together the mission deck and just help me understand how the flow works.. I.e. When you use an imperial mission agenda, when you use a nuetral and when you use story missions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Take a look at the campaign log. It is a chart on the back of the campaign guide. The chart will let you know to start with the story mission "Aftermath." After that mission, just go down the chart playing story missions or side missions as the chart tells you to. It also lets you know what the threat level will be for each mission.

Right after Aftermath and whenever a side mission is finished, the rebels get to consider two missions from the side mission deck. The side mission deck consists of a shuffled deck with red (one for each hero), green (4), and grey (4) missions for the case campaign. Additionally, if the imperial player spent influence on an agenda side mission, this mission(s) would be available as well.

The rebels pick which mission to play during the next side mission as instructed in the campaign log.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Look at the campaign log. First play the first mission, aftermath.
Then, after that mission (and everyone after it, for the most part) you'll do the post mission phase where players will buy upgrades and such. Among these are Agenda missions, which the Empire can buy- remember those, they'll be important later. Also, at the end of each story mission (including aftermath) the players will be instructed to put a story mission into play, usually dictated by the previous mission's results. This mission is not played until the next time a story mission would happen.

2) Next on the campaign log is a side mission. So, you'll randomly draw two cards from your created side mission deck (4 chosen green cards, 4 random grey cards, 1 red card associated with each hero). Then, the Rebel players can choose which of those they want, typically motivated by which reward they'd prefer.

3) Remember those agenda missions? Well, the Imperial player can place those among the other two side missions. The heroes have the choice to attempt that mission as well, if they want, to prevent the Imp player from getting the reward for that mission. The catch is that doing so takes the place of a mission they could have attempted to get their own reward. However, should the Rebels choose a different side mission than the agenda one, the Imp player will automatically reap the reward of the agenda mission once the other side mission has completed.

4) Once the first side mission is over, it's time probably time for the first story mission. Remember that story mission card that came into play earlier? Time to resolve that.

5) Basically from there it's just rinse and repeat. The game typically alternates from story mission to side mission, but that's not always the case- just follow the log and you'll be fine.

6) The only other thing is forced missions. These are usually kind of a "Part 2" to some missions that are chronologically time sensitive. For instance (and this is spoiler-free, as it's not really an example from the campaign as far as I know) if a mission ended with the Rebels crashing a freighter on a planet, a forced mission might come into play in which they need to locate a hyperdrive on the surface so that they can escape.

That's really it. Just follow the log, the log knows all.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Shelton
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this to be one of the more confusingly described aspects of the game rules. I think it would be simpler if the mission deck and initial mission cards were drawn before the first mission and more clearly part of set up. It feels to me as if part of set up is delayed until after the first mission. I'm guessing this is less in order to hide information and more to get people right into the game.

However, the basic set up the others described is correct: build a side-mission deck using 4 red (as dictated by the heros), 4 green (selected by the rebels in secret), and 4 gray (picked at random -- no one sees).

At any given instance (except during the first mission), there should be one story mission card and two side mission cards on the table. If a story mission is next, do the story mission card. If a side mission is next, the rebels select which of the two side missions to do. At the end of a story mission, the mission will tell you which story mission card to use to replace the one just finished. At the end of a side mission, draw a card to replace the mission just completed. There are a few exceptions (forced missions, for example), but those are explained as they arise.

The most prominent exception is when an imperial agenda card offers a side mission. In this case, it is placed next to the side missions and can be selected by the rebels. If it is not selected the next time a side mission is played, the imperial player gets a reward, and it goes away.

(I hope I got that all right -- someone correct me if I didn't.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just chiming in with a "Thank you" to everyone for explaining this. It was a bit confusing at first reading it in the rulebook, but getting confirmation/corrections like this gives me a lot of confidence that we can do it the right way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yes indeed - thank you everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.