Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Len S
United States
Slingerlands
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question (hopefully without spoilers) about how to resolve the back of blight cards...

When a reckoning comes, of the blight cards I've seen, you have two options, one which causes you to lose something, and flip the card over (i.e, you retain the blight condition). The other option is usually worse, but allows you to discard the card.

My question is, if you cannot fulfill the first option (for example, lose an item because you have no items), do you HAVE to do the bottom option? Or do you just ignore the fact that you have no items to lose, but keep the blight card, knowing that the next item you get will be lost eventually due to blight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Blight is a condition from the base game, is it? Better switch forums to the relevant expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sullivan
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not sitting in front of my copy of the rules at the moment, but I'm fairly certain that you would have to do the bottom one. You can't volunteer to discard something you don't have, like how you can't volunteer to gain a condition for a reward if you already have that condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
official answer:
Nikki Valens wrote:
The back of each Blight Condition instructs the investigator to pick one of two options. The investigator is allowed to read both options entirely before choosing which to resolve. Upon choosing an option, she resolves as much of that effect as possible.

No part of either effect is a payment of any kind. As such, there is no restriction to which effect the investigator chooses and no cost associated with being able to flip or discard the Condition. The effects are simply resolved as printed on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
official answer:
Nikki Valens wrote:
The back of each Blight Condition instructs the investigator to pick one of two options. The investigator is allowed to read both options entirely before choosing which to resolve. Upon choosing an option, she resolves as much of that effect as possible.

No part of either effect is a payment of any kind. As such, there is no restriction to which effect the investigator chooses and no cost associated with being able to flip or discard the Condition. The effects are simply resolved as printed on the card.

This probably should be added to the official clarifications page. I expect it's going to come up again and again. I went there for the answer, but didn't find it.

(I would add it myself, but I'm not sure where the source answer was.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
official answer:
Nikki Valens wrote:

Oh wow that's really surprising, I played it the harder way. There have been other situations where you were not able to choose an option if you didn't have that to offer.

For Nephren-Ka for example, if I couldn't move one space towards the bent pyramids, I forced myself to take 1 Sanity damage instead (anyone else do it that way?). The wording on that might be a bit different though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fatesadvent wrote:
For Nephren-Ka for example, if I couldn't move one space towards the bent pyramids, I forced myself to take 1 Sanity damage instead (anyone else do it that way?). The wording on that might be a bit different though.
Yes, Nephren-Ka wording is entirely different and you always lose Sanity if you don't move. No matter what were the reasons for not moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it all depends on the exact wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.