Hide
7 Posts

Mansions of Madness» Forums » General

Subject: Help first game coming. Should I use variant or play it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
So I buy this game. Do you think I need to use the minimum changes suggested in the file for scenarios or play it like ffg wanted.
Is to easy for the keeper? I'm try to have a fair game not a RPG oriented one. Between keeper and investigator.

Also what I have to expect if I really enjoy the Second Edition from.m this one's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not used any errata or fan-made solutions for this game. I have played two scenarios, one as keeper and another as investigator and both times I had fun. I think if this is your first time playing the game it may be simpler for you to just play the game as FFG intended, perhaps use their official errata document. After your first game, and after you understand the rules, then perhaps you can try looking into some of the modifications available to see if you can make your game "better". Overall, as keeper you can control how fair/unfair you want the game to be. Overall, the goal is to have fun, and sometimes even all the modifications and solutions cannot change that. It mainly depends on your group enjoying the game or not.

I don't understand your last question about the 2nd Edition. It is a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my view this game is fun but cannot be played competitively with any hope of balance.

Quite a few of the scenarios also have errors that will make them brake down if you don't implement at least the official errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
I did not implement any changes but the official errata, and our group had fun each time.

If the investigators play competitively instead of RPGey, there is no need for the Keeper to pull her punches and still have a balanced game.

One scenario in the base game as well as some of the pod ones are broken, depending on your story choices and player count. You should be fine with the first one from the base game though.

I agree with Mark, this is a differeent game than second ed. The latter lacks the Keeper, which I find to be a key element to the quality of this gane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least check out this file and decide for yourself:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/92877/mansions-base-scena...

These are mostly very minor fixes which are easily implemented. Read through them at least before you decide whether or not to use them. I would advise that you do, but with an entirely new group of players, I guess you can do without.

The first scenario (fall of house Lynch) is quite good as is and doesn't need any changes in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Yah i mean that file. Minimum requirements fix. I will try the 1zt scenarios without it. And decide if implements it on the nxt one.
Thanks
I want a fair game if that file of minimum fix can make it competitive I will gladly use it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
Yah i mean that file. Minimum requirements fix. I will try the 1zt scenarios without it. And decide if implements it on the nxt one.
Thanks
I want a fair game if that file of minimum fix can make it competitive I will gladly use it

That seems to me a good plan.

The House of Lynch is a fairly solid and good introductory scenario. If you have an early edition of the game just ensure you have the official errata from FGG.

Then (after playing the first scenario) you will be in a better position to understand what issues the minimum fixes are trying to address in the other scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.