7 Posts

Star Trek: Frontiers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Away Missions: Dimplomacy and Long Range Attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Not Telling Ya
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few questions to make sure I am playing this right.

1) Diplomacy
The Hand symbol on the cards has nothing to do with Interaction itself, but is just an idicator that this card gives diplomacy?
Whether or not I can play the card or use the skill depends solely on its text?
So, during an away mission I could:
a) use Federation Officer to get 2 Diplomacy (part of away team)
b) use N'Vek to get 4 Diplomacy (part of away team)
c) can use Picard if he is part of the team
d) can not use the Blackmail skill as the text says that it is only usable during interaction

2) Long Range Attack
Can I use any type of Long Range Attack during an Away Mission? I was under the impression that I can only use plain Long Range Attack (which represents Phasers) and not Long Range Photon Pulse Attack or the like. Am I wrong? Can I use any type?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob H.
Canada
flag msg tools
cashew137 wrote:
I have a few questions to make sure I am playing this right.

1) Diplomacy
The Hand symbol on the cards has nothing to do with Interaction itself, but is just an idicator that this card gives diplomacy?
Whether or not I can play the card or use the skill depends solely on its text?
So, during an away mission I could:
a) use Federation Officer to get 2 Diplomacy (part of away team)
b) use N'Vek to get 4 Diplomacy (part of away team)
c) can use Picard if he is part of the team
d) can not use the Blackmail skill as the text says that it is only usable during interaction

The Vulcan salute (hand symbol) on the top left of the card signifies that it's a diplomacy card. Whether or not you can play it during an away mission depends on what is written in the text (or if you have a skill that gives diplomacy, it'll have a small planet symbol next to it to signify it's use during away missions.)

Your captain card and his skills can only be used if the captain has been declared as being part of the away mission before going down to the planet.

cashew137 wrote:

2) Long Range Attack
Can I use any type of Long Range Attack during an Away Mission? I was under the impression that I can only use plain Long Range Attack (which represents Phasers) and not Long Range Photon Pulse Attack or the like. Am I wrong? Can I use any type?

If it says "long range" you can use it in the range phase. If the card only said "photon torpedo attack" then you couldn't use it, for example, but "long range whatever" is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
So does photon pulse work the sameway with away teams as in space battles. eks. i have an away team with long range photon pulse with an attack of 3 and the planet has shilds 4. But that is normel shilds so would the away team hit with twice the damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
RobertAnnesen wrote:
So does photon pulse work the sameway with away teams as in space battles. eks. i have an away team with long range photon pulse with an attack of 3 and the planet has shilds 4. But that is normel shilds so would the away team hit with twice the damage?

That is not how it works. Normal shields will fully block photon pulse attacks so you need one more LR attack to kill the enemy.

Rules page 8
To make a successful attack, the total Attack Value has to equal or exceed the total Defense Values of all targeted enemies. If it does, the targeted enemies are defeated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
But what do they Then Mean on page 9 where it says.

- Only Photon Pulse or pulse Torpedo Shilds Are efficient against Photon pulse attack.

And then. inefficient Shilds Are reduced by half.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Kickstarter - February 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertAnnesen wrote:
But what do they Then Mean on page 9 where it says.

- Only Photon Pulse or pulse Torpedo Shilds Are efficient against Photon pulse attack.

And then. inefficient Shilds Are reduced by half.

This is a reference to player ships being attacked by enemy ship tokens.

It does not apply when players are attacking. When players are attacking, the special attack type is only important to overcome an enemy token's resistance. Since the Planet Tokens don't have resistances, attackers need not worry about about special attack types during Away Missions.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Annesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
okay i think i see now. So it's only when enemy use photon shield or attack that you take it in use. these rules are a bit tough to get through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.